RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to head out on a few hours of back roads exploration.

Really liking everything i am reading about this bike.

There are many Europeans working for Royal Enfield and the frame was designed by notable designers Harris Performance. https://www.harris-performance.com/

The chief designer was Pierre Terblanche.
The Himalayan was one of designer Pierre Terblanche's contributions to Royal Enfield during his 20-month stint as head designer. If you follow motorcycle designers, Terblanche was the guy that replaced Massimo Tamburini at Ducati, and penned the 999 Superbike, the Hypermotard and the old, slabby Multistrada.
At an OTD price of $4500 and a simple air cooled, counter balanced, 2 valve engine, I decided to be one of the early US adopters. if it blows up at 10,000 miles I still have spent less than the immediate depreciation on my Road Glide. :grin2:

Full coverage insurance equivalent to my other bikes was $25 for the next 11 months.

I think I have a pretty eclectic stable of bikes now. :)

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I love the suspension. It is tight on the roads and supple on the bumps.

Here is a quote from a guy on another forum when I posted it there and people were saying "Nice Dirtbike".

You goofs...the Royal Enfield "Himmy" is no Dirt Bike......It is a Gentleman's Trail Bike reserved for those who appreciate the finer ways to go bird watching and have a picnic by the brook while the Spaniel chases the Wood Cocks from the brush......

Great Bike amigo......great bike indeed
This is the way I see the bike and the way I will ride it.

There are a lot of videos of people riding these bikes in terrain I would never ride in on any bike. If you accept what it is and stay within those limits, it is a great motorcycle.

I just did my first fillup after riding 85 miles of gravel and backroads and light trails with speeds ranging from 30 mph to 50 mph and only 1/2 throttle accelerations. I got 85 mpg calculated. Woo Hoo!

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some photos of my ride today.

I headed out with no particular destination or direction in mind. I just let the bike decide which way to go.

I did a little exploring, but very cautiously as I get to know the bike better. Streams can be very treacherous in TN with our slick rock and I did slide some on the rock while walking around to take these photos.

I mostly stayed on the tiny lanes and gravel roads that ran up and along the ridges or down in the hollows along small rivers and streams.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like to capture photos of my bikes with interesting buildings in the background as well as murals and other structures when I can find them.

I hopped off the bike to capture the above image and was greeted by a pair of curious white puppies.

They seemed friendly enough so I ignored them and snapped a few more shots.

Then I hopped on the bike and started it up and they went NUTS! Started fighting with each other and when I took off they gave chase! LOL! I encountered way too many loose dogs during this ride and of course they were all a lot bigger than these puppies. Chase the motorcycle is a favorite game among country canines. LOL.

Anyone need to fill their canteen? Take a bath? I decided to pass.

I ate my lunch down by this river.

It gave me a chance to walk around and stretch my legs. Took a few shots while resting and eating.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little more exploring

Close to home I pulled into this little country restaurant to use the rest room and came out to the evening menu item eyeing my bike. ;)

It was only when I was taking this photo that I noticed that the stripe on the bike actually spelled HIMALAYAN. :thumb:

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Spring fever is still going strong so I took a 1/2 day Thursday and all day Friday and put down some more miles on the Himalayan. If you have the type of roads where you live that I have here in Middle Tennessee then I highly recommend this motorcycle. If you need to do a lot of high speed riding to get to where the good roads are, then this is probably not for you.

Gas mileage so far: 1st tank 85 mpg, 2nd tank 67 mpg, 3rd tank 79 mpg. Some of the variance comes from the fact that the 2nd day of riding did involve some 65 mph to transition from one gravel road to another and some nice hill climbs. Also, there is no easy way to know when to stop fueling without risk over overflowing so the fills may vary. Pretty good average so far though.

Now for some more photos near my home.

The Roads:

The water crossings:

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Scenery:

A parting shot:

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Yes, your stable is an odd duck compared to what it five years ago. So how did you find that "spot on" mural for the parting shot? Bring your own spray paint? Great adventure shots as usual; my favorite is this one, which is the essence of the adventure - long, unbroken path to the horizon, bike in an eager stance, and freshly graded gravel.

414168449.jpg

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, your stable is an odd duck compared to what it five years ago. So how did you find that "spot on" mural for the parting shot? Bring your own spray paint? Great adventure shots as usual; my favorite is this one, which is the essence of the adventure - long, unbroken path to the horizon, bike in an eager stance, and freshly graded gravel.

View attachment 120342

Good to hear from you. I am starting to realize how many more roads I can ride when on long travel suspension bikes with low CG.

The "mural" was created in windows paint by copying the colors already on the graffiti and using the spray can. :)

My career doesn't allow me to perform street art or any other activity that could be deemed illegal or anti-social behavior. ;)

I've already made another change to the stable because a friend wanted my Trials bike more than i wanted to keep it. Ended up picking up a Suzuki Van Van 200 as a 'toy' bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts