RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,134 Posts
That sucks Craig. It was an awesome bike. Mine is in the garage filthy and still not unpacked. My aunt had a stroke Tuesday. Been kinda busy. Shes doing OK...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am still riding around and expect to be home Sunday. It was a very good time. Wish we had more people show and stick around.
Craig, that sucks. I hope you had insurance.

·
Registered
521 Posts
What a bummer dude. I was commenting on how beautiful your bike is and I might have jinxed you.

Hope insurance pays for a replacement. You have to get the same one to match your riding gear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is Craig's wife:

Thank you all for your support. I had to pick him up at work and it was so sad. It was after midnight and he was sitting on the steps with his gear beside him and it was raining.

The bike is insured but we have to wait 3 weeks before they will pay in case the bike is recovered. There are only 300 like this in the US so I hope to find one like he had. I had to hunt it down the first time. I actually had to talk him into buying this one because he was going to settle for one close but not a 1000RR SP. He is well known for putting lots, and I do mean lots, of miles on every bike he has ever owned and he takes such good care of them that people were jumping to buy his last bike even though it had over 140,000 miles on it. The dealers and parts departments, as well as all of his family and friends agreed that he deserved such a special bike. There are two different stores around here that have been on the lookout. Each one has called to check on the progress of the case. I told him that shows a lot of respect for a true bike guy.

We got a new battery for my Magna so he can at least ride that in the interim. It's not a sport bike by any means, but at least it's a nice ride. It hurts seeing him have to get in his car on these beautiful riding days.

Again, thank you all for your comments. He hates computers so I'll make sure he sees them.

Carol

·
Registered
521 Posts
Craig, you're a lucky man to have such an understanding wife. My wife would probably say "good riddance" and take the insurance money and go shopping.

·
Silver Member
4,960 Posts
I just got back today.

I got in some good riding in Wisconsin and some fun watching the races at Road America but as with all good things it was time to start for home.
Coming into Chicago I see a sign "minimum speed 45 mph" I look down to see 90 mph on the clock and think "yeah I got it covered".
The traffic around Chicago was the worst I'd seen but after that I had open roads and great weather to southern Indiana.
The next morning I load up in front of the hotel then decide on a glass of OJ from the breakfast bar before setting off so leaving the bike by the front door I pull the ignition key and drop it in the pocket of my First Gear riding pants. Once hydrated Florida style I get back on the bike all gloved up and ready and ...****, forgot about the key, unzip here, pull Velcro there, reach in my pocket and...no key. I have a hole in the pocket and the key is gone. I back track, search to no avail. I dig out the spare key and motor on.
Out of Indiana I get scanned twice but nothing I didn't expect for that area and I picked them up on the detector well ahead of time.
Kentucky, love that state, great roads, no traffic and in the years I've passed through there I've yet to see a cop. Along the way I catch up to a local in a Chevy Silverato and he dials up the wick. I pace him at 90 mph on a narrow 2-lane with rolling hills and sweepers for a good 30 miles before he turns off and gives me a wave.
Tennessee, Hwy 68 I get lucky. At a nice traveling pace I come up on a slow cage. Around a bend and there's a nice downhill straight, the double yellow lines in the center are taken as a suggestion as I power around the cage. Now at about 80 mph and still on top of the double yellow deputy dog comes around the bend toward me and fires up the reds & blues then turns them off and goes on his merry way.
Arriving at my friend's house in Murphy, NC I pull off the gear and notices a jingle in the bottom of the pants leg, reaching through the hole in the pocket into the liner I find my missing key and 50 cents.
More riding on the BRP with friends then load the Bonnie up on the trailer, I could have taken one more ride but my front tire now looks like a dry weather racing slick so I err on the side of caution and trailer her.
4AM Monday morning I slip out like a thief in the night and start the trek home. Georgia cops are thick as bugs on a bumper passing me two at a time, I must have seen at least 80 of them all south of Atlanta.
In Florida only 3 FHP and one distracted worker in his work F-250 (the kind with the tools boxes along the bed) who came real close to side swiping my Ranger, I was in the center of the right lane and when he passed me he was a good two feet in my lane, way too close for comfort.
Now with the Bonnie back on solid ground I'm wondering about next year's ride.

Oh and in closing just a little bit of wisdom. NEVER eat the last pork sandwich in the case at a gas station unless you're hankerin' for a good cleansin'.

Attachments

81 - 91 of 91 Posts