RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I checked with BW today and they told me we could cancel our reservations up 24 hours before 5/13 and not get charged anything. The hotel is not open now but hopefully it will be by the time we are due to be there. I guess we can just play it by ear and decide what we want to do as the date approaches.
The way things are looking now I am not optimistic about this. I guess all we can do is watch it closely and hope COVID 19 disappears. Hope everyone stays healthy!

·
Registered
64 Posts
If we are unable to do this in May maybe we can do it in September. I guess we will see.

·
Registered
517 Posts
We have done ROTR rides in the fall which are the .5 rides. If we don't get to ride in May we will try to get a ride together in the fall but I really hope the May ride happens. Being stuck in the house for so long is going to make the May ride that much better.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I say we ride in May or as soon as America is open again. I can't take being home in lock-down for this long. I am so tired of TV and walking around and ...walking around and looking for toilet paper...walking around.

So I bought new tires and now I can't get them mounted. I'm even considering doing it myself...nah...not that desperate yet.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi guys. I've been wondering what your thoughts are. Playing it by ear is best for now I guess. Were healthy here so far. Were kind of in the middle of nowhere and staying away from people as much as possible. I start my last 4 weeks of PT today then will probably go back to work. Unfortunately that means working on Baltimore City transit buses which is a scary thought! And since I didn't work last year I don't think I have earned vacation time for this year. So most likely I wont be there even by car if ROTR happens.

Be safe everyone.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well one month to go till ROTR. It's going to be close if they will be open or not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Our NY governor recently continued the lockdown to May 15.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey Mike, what does that mean? You can't leave the state?
I think there are several issues. Many believe the contagion will last a bit longer and I believe that anyone with NY plates entering New Jersey will be stopped and sequestered for 2 weeks. I have to go through Jersey. I am still watching. I have not cancelled my BW reservation. Hope everyone is well. I am in lockdown with 2 little girls and my lady. Three women and me:oops:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I plan to call BW on 5/1 and see if they are/will be open for our planned arrival date. All southeastern states except VA have stay at home orders ending 4/30 and I heard today that GA and TN will be opening certain businesses 5/1. My boss drove from FL to VT a few days ago an he said he had no problems but he did not go thru NY of NJ. He said WV was thinking of closing the borders to all traffic but that was deemed unconstitutional.

If NC opens up we are able to make the trip, hopefully Mike and Craig are able to make it (I think the VA stay at home law ends 6/10). It does not sound like any borders will be closed (but who knows about NJ).

In the meantime my Z has oil leaking into the coolant so I am replacing the oil cooler and hoping this solves the problem.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I just spoke with BW in Maggie Valley and they said that hotels and businesses there will be opening to the public on 5/8/20 so it looks like we can keep our original plans for our ROTR ride if everyone wants to. Otherwise we can push it back into June and I think the first dates I would be available would be 6/17 thru 6/20. I am fine with either date.

Everyone planning to attend please post if you would like to stick with the May date or list some other dates that work for you. Craig are you planning to go? I know you are! What dates work best for you?

·
Registered
517 Posts
P.S. Best Western said I should check back next week because it is possible the opening date could be extended so we are not totally in the clear yet.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm still in but thought you guys might be interested in another possible event in the hot summer if our trip is delayed till fall or whatever.

The trip is in the Wisconsin Driftless and Wisconsin is opening up May 1 I believe (and also not so hot in summer). The Driftless is an area in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois where the Ice Age glaciers did not cover so it has hills and so forth. This is a BMW forum event but like our forum not all have BMWs. There are many curvy roads but there is also some non-paved road routes being planed for possibly Mike and his Triumph.

The date is June 11 - 14, 2020 (but could be delayed but should still be in the summer). The address is 13040 Borah Ridge Road, Prarie du Chien, WI 53821 (organizers cabin). There are hotels near or free camping at the organizers site.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I read that restaurants in NC would only be doing take out until 5/17 but I am trying to confirm with a friend that lives there.

I would be up for the Wisconsin ride even though it is over 1400 miles, however, I have a doctors appt on 6/11 and I don't know if I could easily reschedule. I will look into it if everyone is serious about doing this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think we should reschedule ROTR. I agree that it may be really warm in June but I am willing to do it if this COVID 19 stuff quiets down. I would pass on the Wisconsin thing. It would be about 16 hours of highway droning for me, not fun. If none of it works out we can try for early Fall.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I think I have to agree with Mike as much as I would like to ride. My friend that lives in Waynesville said the county is going to reevaluate things on 5/8/20 which is the day things were supposed to start opening up. It is possible they extend the stay at home act there as they have had a couple more deaths lately. My friend from TX definitely can not make the May ride due to issues at his work.

So what dates in June work for everyone? I could make it 6/17 thru 6/20 or 6/24 thru 6/27.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think I have to agree with Mike as much as I would like to ride. My friend that lives in Waynesville said the county is going to reevaluate things on 5/8/20 which is the day things were supposed to start opening up. It is possible they extend the stay at home act there as they have had a couple more deaths lately. My friend from TX definitely can not make the May ride due to issues at his work.

So what dates in June work for everyone? I could make it 6/17 thru 6/20 or 6/24 thru 6/27.
6/24-6/27,28 are ok for me

·
Registered
543 Posts
I read that restaurants in NC would only be doing take out until 5/17 but I am trying to confirm with a friend that lives there.

I would be up for the Wisconsin ride even though it is over 1400 miles, however, I have a doctors appt on 6/11 and I don't know if I could easily reschedule. I will look into it if everyone is serious about doing this.
I don't know if the "Driftin" trip is going to be on schedule or not but if and when you want to go somewhere on the way you guys can trailer here, spend the night and we can trailer on closer or start from here on bikes.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ok I'm cancelled out of the hotel for the May dates. Let's agree on some dates so we can make new reservations.

I did speak to the front desk too and they said they are officially re-opening May 9th. He didn't know yet about restaurants other than those that are open only do take-out still.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts