RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, it's that time of year again. Time to start thinking about ROTR. Where to stay, where to ride, who's coming.
As always, ROTR is open to anyone who wants to come. It's been a small group the last few years but the fun is BIG.

Basically ROTR is a group of riders getting together and riding some fantastic roads in the Blue Ridge and Great Smoky mountains.
The rides started in 2001 on and around the Blue Ridge Parkway, hence the name, Ride On The Ridge. Its always been a great group of people, men and women, solo and 2 up riders, and great riding. The more "spirited" riders lead and the more relaxed (meaning slower riders like me) bring up the rear. We pretty much stay as a group, waiting for everyone to regroup and intersections and eat lunch somewhere good. After the days ride we eat, enjoy adult beverages, rest, and repeat.

Is it going to be Maggie Valley again, back to Wytheville, or maybe Boone?

Lets hear your thoughts and ideas.

That being said... I don't know if I will be riding. My rotator cuff surgery failed. My supraspinatus tendon didn't stay on and I'm not back to work. Its been a long year of not knowing what's going to happen or if it will ever get fixed. I could probably ride, but I haven't. My arm is pretty weak and God forbid something go wrong and I wouldn't have the strength to handle an emergency maneuver.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Sorry to hear about your surgery not going as planned Jon. Wish I was closer to join you folks on the ride.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Jon, sorry to hear the surgery did not take and you may not be able to make the ROTR ride. That would drive me crazy if I was unable to ride for a year. Aren't they able to try another surgery? I hope you able to get some sort of fix.

I am up for the ROTR ride this year and not particular about location. We normally have the ride the week after Mothers Day so I recommend we stick with those dates. That would make the ride May 14-17 this year. Like Jon said, it is always great riding and a great time had by all. I cant wait for the fun to begin.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Jon, sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you find a cure.
As for this year I'm in as usual except the dates are conflicting with an event my wife planed (birthday gift to drive a Lamborghini in a race track on Sunday) so I will have to leave on Saturday.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't think I could pass up driving a Lambo on a racetrack either Ed. I am not locked into any certain dates so we could change dates if that is what most prefer to do. The only problem is the weekend before that is Mothers Day weekend and the weekend after that is Memorial Day weekend which usually means more traffic. Anyone who is planning to attend please chime in with any suggestions.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about your surgery not going as planned Jon. Wish I was closer to join you folks on the ride.
Canada is not that far. You would be the 3rd to join us from the Great White North

·
Registered
67 Posts
I too am sorry to hear about your shoulder Jon. It's always difficult when you have an injury or illness. Wishing you all the best and a quick resolution. I am in this year again. Looking forward to great riding and camaraderie. I can do almost any time in May although I think it would be wise to avoid Memorial Day weekend. I always enjoy Maggie Valley but, come to think of it, I've enjoyed every ROTR wherever we've stayed. I know, no help.

Ed, this must be a big birthday if you get to drive a Lambo on a track

·
Registered
545 Posts
Mike, I imagine you might have a Lamborghini or Ferrari in your garage.

Anyway If we all agree to do our usual week I would maybe meet up with you guys earlier in the week and leave Saturday.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Any updates? I've been monitoring the site for any others inputs but see little action so far. Again we can do the usual week as always, I'll just leave with the Craigs on Saturday. I can arrive much earlier though if Rob or Mike want to hit it early as they sometimes do.

I already bought new tires as I don't like the Battlax tires I have on the bimmer from last year. They seem to let go in crucial times and give me no confidence. Going with the Michelin Road 5s. Read some mixed reviews as compared to the previous generations but got to move on with the latest and hope they are better. Will install them in the next few weeks when I get time.

PS I also have my Corona Virus mask too

·
Registered
519 Posts
No updates to speak of so I suggest we keep it the same week as usual which would be 5/14 thru 5/17. I have a friend in TX who is going to try and join us but not confirmed yet. He would probably leave on Saturday also considering the long trip home. Is Maggie Valley going to be our base? It is only about 9 weeks away so I will check availability at the Best Western for 5/13 - 5/16 or 5/15 since it appears most will be leaving on Saturday. Last year BW was full due to another event.
I always go up the weekend before so I can spend the whole week riding. If Ed or anyone else wants to meet up and ride before ROTR we can do that. My friend from TX has never been to the Smokies so I will be showing him around and hitting the best roads.

·
Registered
519 Posts
We could stay in Pigeon Forge since Mike loves it there. JJ
I checked Best Western and Quality Inn in Maggie Valley and they have availability at nearly the same price but not a whole lot. We usually stay at BW but had to stay at Quality last year. I also checked Microtel in Franklin and they have rooms also. Franklin is a little cheaper and more centrally located for riding but probably not quite as touristy as MV. Any preferences? We should probably make resies this week as other rallys are going on the same week and rooms wont last.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I guess you know how I feel about Pigeon Forge:rolleyes::poop: I always like Maggie Valley. I can try to hook up earlier than usual & would look forward to that. Thank you Rob for doing the research!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mike, I imagine you might have a Lamborghini or Ferrari in your garage.

Anyway If we all agree to do our usual week I would maybe meet up with you guys earlier in the week and leave Saturday.
Driving on public roads a Lamborghini or Ferrari would either get me into a lot of trouble or just leave me tormented and frustrated. A total waste of money. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
545 Posts
I like Maggie Valley too. Feels comfortable to me there for me. Rob, if your buddy is coming I will just get my own room. What day are you guys thinking of getting there if we go early?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well, Maggie Valley it is then and Best Western for the hotel. I am going to try for a room in the back wing. Has anyone heard from Craig? Hopefully he and Jr can make it. Jr can always rent a bike like Stan did if he has not bought one yet.
So far my idea was to get into Blairsville on 5/9 and I think my friend will do the same. We will probably ride GA roads on 5/10 and then head out on 5/11 or maybe just head out 5/10 - no plans yet. I was thinking we would just ride different areas to let him see as much of the mtns as possible and stay at different locations arriving in Maggie Valley on the evening of 5/13, staying there 3 nights and leaving Saturday since most need to do that. We would have to come up with a time and place to meet up on Monday or whenever we wanted to meet up - not sure when Mike and Ed are coming down. Let me know if that sounds good and how early everyone was going to come down.

·
Registered
519 Posts
FYI, I just made a reservation at BW for the nights of 5/13, 5/14 and 5/15. She said they have four rooms left with 2 queen beds and three rooms with a King bed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just reserved a room at the BW for 5/13, 14 & 15, I think in the back. I will have to check out when I leave Westhampton. Don't know if I want to be away from my baby girl for that long.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I checked with BW today and they told me we could cancel our reservations up 24 hours before 5/13 and not get charged anything. The hotel is not open now but hopefully it will be by the time we are due to be there. I guess we can just play it by ear and decide what we want to do as the date approaches.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts