RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe this should be posted elsewhere but I have an idea for a poor man's version of veil ($89.95) for less than $5.

I had this idea that needs to be tested with IR photography or IR video camera.

Being that carbon especially the charcoal used for painting absorbs IR, wouldn't it prevent Lidar that the cops use in their speed traps from getting a signal that you are speeding? It should at least decrease the amount of distance it takes for them to get a reading.

RoninMD's Poor Man's Veil:

1 cup of corn syrup
charcoal (bamboo works best but any kind will do.)

mix it up till it's dark

paint your headlights and your license plates.

but don't paint them so dark that you can't use your headlights at night.

Of course, you would have to reapply it after it rains.

--------------------------
On a side note, for awhile people where wondering what made the samurai sword so sharp and flexible on one side yet stiff on the other. For the longest time, modern smiths tried various alloys and pure metals but could not get it right. In thier clean and modern gas environment, every blade they made was either too malleable or too brittle.

In the Japanese wood fire smithy, they used bamboo coal and other natural carbon resources and turns out that the distribution of carbon along the blade as it is folded several times is what gave the samurai sword it's legendary qualities.
--------------------------
On another side note:
North Dallas cops are busy. I'm seeing a lot of cruisers out there making their quota. Times must be tough. Law enforcement agencies are either up-ramping or trying to generate more revenue. When cops are having a hard time feeding their families, you know Rome is going fall.

·
Registered
99 Posts
IIRC there was an entire episode of myth busterd dedicated to trying many different myths about defeating the laser / radar guns... Nothing used, including these types of paints worked. The paint did have the best result slightly lowering the strength of the return signal but it wasnt enough to reduce the capture distance. None of the other idea had any effect what so ever.

·
Registered
586 Posts
where to begin....

1) it's probably not going to work, but i've never seen the real results of the veils...

2) thats going to be messy and get on everything

3) it's illegal to put anything on your plate, even clear covers here in california

4) also in california it's illegal to darken your headlight cover

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The paint did have the best result slightly lowering the strength of the return signal but it wasnt enough to reduce the capture distance. None of the other idea had any effect what so ever.
Well I hoped they veiled the entire reflective surfaces of the car.

Oh I bought the ZR4 laser jammer too. It cost so much that I couldn't buy the veil.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well I hoped they veiled the entire reflective surfaces of the car.

Oh I bought the ZR4 laser jammer too. It cost so much that I couldn't buy the veil.

Was looking into purchasing this or a detector. Let me know how this works out.

and where did you put it? under the windshield? (detector) ... sorry don't know much about these.

They say these things don't work... because by the time you set it off your caught but.... when i get caught doing something wreckless or excessive acceleration.... (been pulled over like 20 times for this but no ticket) It's always because I don't know a cop is watching me lol... So... a radar would kinda give me a heads up that one is in the vicinity. especially when my ****ing mirrors vibrate so much that I can't tell if it's a car behind me, a jogger with a flashlight having a seizure, an airplane or an animal with really bright eyes. The mirrors suck so much!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
if you are that worried about it you should sell your 650 and buy a bike that could actually outrun police. :hah:

or, you know, only ride like an idiot out where cops arent looking for it (i.e. places where you arent endangering other people)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
there is an absolutely foolproof method to avoiding tickets - go the speed limit.

If the cops are busy in your town try blaming the speeders instead of the brave men and women who are trying to enforce the laws. If you don't like those speed limits you can petition to have them changed.

Or do what we can do here and have them close off sections of highway and go as fast as you can.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speeding is not a tort. Crashing into someone or damaging property is a tort. Speeding laws are a revenue generator for many municipalities without having to make a tort case. By constitutional law, traffic tickets aren't even legal. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcpHSQHN0wc&feature=related

I don't drive like an idiot. In fact, the tread wear on my tires proves it. I rode my factory BT021's up to 8033 before changing them and I could still to 2000 more miles.

A lot of the times I am going with the flow of the traffic and singled out because I'm on a bike. I just want that extra insurance.

The brave men and women enforcing our laws aren't really enforcing constitutional law (although they took an oath to uphold it). They are enforcing the administrative policies of the Department of Transportation.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Speeding is not a tort. Crashing into someone or damaging property is a tort. Speeding laws are a revenue generator for many municipalities without having to make a tort case. By constitutional law, traffic tickets aren't even legal.

The brave men and women enforcing our laws aren't really enforcing constitutional law (although they took an oath to uphold it). They are enforcing the administrative policies of the Department of Transportation.
Huh?

When did constitutionality come into the discussion? Ever hear of the 10th ammendment?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Speeding is not a tort. Crashing into someone or damaging property is a tort. Speeding laws are a revenue generator for many municipalities without having to make a tort case. By constitutional law, traffic tickets aren't even legal. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcpHSQHN0wc&feature=related

I don't drive like an idiot. In fact, the tread wear on my tires proves it. I rode my factory BT021's up to 8033 before changing them and I could still to 2000 more miles.

A lot of the times I am going with the flow of the traffic and singled out because I'm on a bike. I just want that extra insurance.

basil marceaux up in here :laugh:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Right To Travel

As the Supreme Court notes in Saenz v Roe, 98-97 (1999), the Constitution does not contain the word "travel" in any context, let alone an explicit right to travel (except for members of Congress, who are guaranteed the right to travel to and from Congress). The presumed right to travel, however, is firmly established in U.S. law and precedent. In U.S. v Guest, 383 U.S. 745 (1966), the Court noted, "It is a right that has been firmly established and repeatedly recognized." In fact, in Shapiro v Thompson, 394 U.S. 618 (1969), Justice Stewart noted in a concurring opinion that "it is a right broadly assertable against private interference as well as governmental action. Like the right of association, ... it is a virtually unconditional personal right, guaranteed by the Constitution to us all." It is interesting to note that the Articles of Confederation had an explicit right to travel; it is now thought that the right is so fundamental that the Framers may have thought it unnecessary to include it in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Typically the speed limit is set for the road conditions, like in Florida where rain is spontaneous, or if there are quick turns, no shoulder, or no barrier. A speed limit is merely guidance to ensure the safety of not necessarily you, but other motorists. Your choice to defy the posted limit means you should be punished, and the most effective form of punishment for minor citations is usually a fine.

Bringing the constitution into this is pretty stupid since it's obvious why there are speed limits and fines.

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Why are their speed limits? Statistically, speed isn't the cause of accidents, it's the intersections/cross traffic. Yes I don't believe that people should just be able to fly around going at their speeds. Speed limits are set in law because incapable drivers get behind the wheel. Those people end up ruining the driving privileges. A set standard speed limit for every person is an easy but simply lazy way of maintaining law (even though it is unsucessful). A better way would be to test everyones skill level, attention span and reaction time, then giving them a specific license/car sticker that enables them to drive at speeds more their level.

Just like the seat belt law. You have to wear one even though you may be 18+ and inside of a ****ing car? Yet you can ride a motorcycle, a vehicle capable of going twice as fast as the average american car and you only have to wear your **** and *******. Yes that makes total sense. Lets argue the logic in that... please anyone

http://www.smartmotorist.com/traffic-and-safety-guideline/what-causes-car-accidents.html

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
IMO speed is usually not a factor in a collision unless the person driving is retarded. Most of the time it's someone changing lanes or turning in front of you without checking if there's traffic coming. Some may argue that if the person wasn't speeding then such an accident would be avoided but IMO whether the person is speeding or not, he/she shouldn't have to worry about people pulling in front of them without looking.

Although I guess if the person looked, thought they had plenty of room because the speeding person was far away, and then ended up getting hit by that speeding person because the speeding person was traveling way above the limit and didn't have time to slowdown/stop then there would be an argument for saying speeding caused the accident but most of the time (around here anyway) the person didn't bother checking to begin with.

I think it's retarded that here on the highways the regular flow of traffic, even in heavy traffic (unless it's so heavy that traffic isn't moving), the traffic flows at 120-130 km/hr (limit of 100) but if you go 20-30 over that normal flow, up to 150+, they can take your car/bike and license on the spot. Makes no difference if there's 100 cars within a km of you or 5 cars within 10 km of you at 3am in the morning.

The biggest sign I've seen that speeding tickets are just revenue-generation is that when they change the limit on a road (always lower, never higher) the cops will sit right at the sign first thing in the morning with the goal of not catching people intentionally breaking the law, but instead the goal being to catch the people that are used to it being a certain limit and travel that road every day and didn't happen to notice the slightly changed sign on their way to work in the morning.

Oops, off topic of laser jammers. :smashfrea I just hate over-powered speeding laws.

·
Registered
160 Posts
IMO speed is usually not a factor in a collision unless the person driving is retarded. Most of the time it's someone changing lanes or turning in front of you without checking if there's traffic coming. Some may argue that if the person wasn't speeding then such an accident would be avoided but IMO whether the person is speeding or not, he/she shouldn't have to worry about people pulling in front of them without looking.

Although I guess if the person looked, thought they had plenty of room because the speeding person was far away, and then ended up getting hit by that speeding person because the speeding person was traveling way above the limit and didn't have time to slowdown/stop then there would be an argument for saying speeding caused the accident but most of the time (around here anyway) the person didn't bother checking to begin with.

I think it's retarded that here on the highways the regular flow of traffic, even in heavy traffic (unless it's so heavy that traffic isn't moving), the traffic flows at 120-130 km/hr (limit of 100) but if you go 20-30 over that normal flow, up to 150+, they can take your car/bike and license on the spot. Makes no difference if there's 100 cars within a km of you or 5 cars within 10 km of you at 3am in the morning.

The biggest sign I've seen that speeding tickets are just revenue-generation is that when they change the limit on a road (always lower, never higher) the cops will sit right at the sign first thing in the morning with the goal of not catching people intentionally breaking the law, but instead the goal being to catch the people that are used to it being a certain limit and travel that road every day and didn't happen to notice the slightly changed sign on their way to work in the morning.

Oops, off topic of laser jammers. :smashfrea I just hate over-powered speeding laws.

good write

yes i do think certain people speeding is the cause of some accidents but it's usually something else.

Look at old people. Driving a cadillac cts-v. 2010 (a ZR1 corvette engine supercharged) and they go down the highway at 45mph. Yet they still manage to get into an accident. Well maybe if they went 35mph they could have avoided it! Slow down people! pffff

If you don't have the reaction time, if you can't control a car... something so simple to control.(they've made it so simple to control!!!!) Then get the **** off the road!

(as long as your car is in decent shape) do a test: go down the highway, let go of the steering wheel. Wow it drives itself, thats pretty ****ing hard!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
speed laws = safety = bull = revenue generation

Most laws supposedly for your safety violate your personal rights. e.g., right to privacy, right to be left alone. The USA is getting close to that point similar to when Germany went crazy fascist. We need to get back to a Jeffersonian style of government. Cops should be there to protect your rights not violate them via DOT code. Big Government = Fascist Government.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
i hate speed limits.. I can go 100mph to work with out a problem on back roads. but slow *** people dont make it work and police.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another ingredient to add besides carbon and graphite is Carbonyl Iron Powder. The carbon and graphite would absorb IR but the Carbonyl Iron Powder absorbs radar.

On stealth planes, you use Carbonyl Iron Powder paint but it has to be layered on the surface real thick. One coating won't do the trick. It has to be several coats up to a few millimeters in thickness.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The paint did have the best result slightly lowering the strength of the return signal but it wasnt enough to reduce the capture distance. None of the other idea had any effect what so ever.
Yeah that episode I heard was tongue-in-cheek and not seriously investigated.

....the paint did work but only slightly..... combined with an active laser jammer and I think you got a good anti-lidar system.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts