RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've been checking out the forums here for some time now but this is my first post. Glad to find fellow riders with a consistant lack of ego....very enjoyable site.
Anyways, went on a ride with a guy I met a few weeks back who ownes a '97 ZX1100. He traded bikes with me for about 40 miles during the ride. I've been considering trying to buy a ZX-7 or maybe ZX-9 for fun rides while keeping my ZR for daily commuting (I don't drive a car at all). After riding his bike I'm thinking maybe even a ZX-12.
At one point, in third gear, I decided to take it to redline (11.5krpm) a couple times to get a feel for it. The first time I noticed that around 9krpm the front wheel got very light and hopped a little. The second time I did this I paid more attention to the speed and realized that when the front wheel was trying to come up was around 137mph! Redline was closer to 145mph with three gears to go! The bike just felt more stable as I gained speed. After that, I noticed that I was comfortably diving into corners at 90mph that I wouldn't even touch with my ZR-7 over 70.
Overall, it was an exhilarating experience considering my ZR-7 was the fastest, best handling bike I had ever riden pryor to this. My main thought the whole time I was riding the ZX-11 was "I've got to get me one of these!" Still, I won't give up the ZR for daily (and I mean 365 days a year) rider. Just wanted to share my experience with y'all.

Ben

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
I admire your commitment. I guess I ride 5-6 days out of 7.

My only queerie is, how do you collect your groceries ?

:)

·
3,610 Posts
Maybe he has a Tank Bag, Saddle Bag, Tail Bag, Fanny Pack and a BackPack on he could probably get home with enough to feed himself for a week. I'd love to see this though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe, well I didn't say I don't own a car...just that I don't drive one:D I own a 2001 Subaru 2.5RS that my girlfriend drives and I ride the bike. Groceries and such are hauled with the car. So saying I ride 365 days isn't quite true, it's more like 360 give or take a day:smilewink
I'm just glad to be back on a bike again. I had riden dirt bikes through my childhood then went from age 18 to 23 without ever getting on a bike. Now I'm on two wheels again and loving life.

·
3,610 Posts
I'm picturing him riding with about 3 or 4 of those egg crates strapped all over his bike like chinese food delivery drivers on mopeds. Andy is gonna find this thread sooner or later :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Go for the ZX12, I love mine. My Dad, age 60, and I did 4000 miles in 8 days last summer on a pair of ZX12R's.(link to pics .Bike Trip ) Absolutely love 'em. You canget a leftover for cheap, we paid $9150 a year ago this week on '00 models. There are still a few '00 and several '01s out there brand new. I can give you links to the message boards if you like. Great bunch of guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice! Love those pictures. I think that's what turns me on to the big Ninja's is that they're very comfortable for long tours but still scary fast. They seem like great bikes for the sport-minded tourer. This chap with the ZX-11 might be selling it to be replaced with the new 954RR. He said that if he decides to go that route, he'd give it to me for around $4,500. Though with a baby due this August, we can't plan on getting another bike until summer '03 and who know's what will be out then:cool:
As it is, I bought my girlfriend (her name's Ann, by the way) a '92 Suzuki GS500 one week before she found she was pregnant so she hasn't gotten to ride it yet. The plan is start her out on the 500 until she's very comfortable (i.e. bored) with it then step her up to the ZR-7 and I'll get a big bike. Who knows what the future holds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts