RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I rode a 2002 Suzuki TL1000R. I was really looking forward to this short test ride. I have heard so many people say that once you ride a 1000cc twin sportsbike you'll never want a four cylinder again. Now I know why they said that... Its true! :)

First off, the power at low RPMs is fantastic. The GSX-R1000 or even the Hayabusa are not as much fun. I was able to lift the front end without any problems and it was so smooth doing it. Higher RPMs feel really good. When you let off on the throttle the engine braking is not that pronounced.

The TL-1000R handles very well. So what if it weighs 40 LBS more then a Gixxer. The riding position is not uncomfortable, and the sounds is fantastic (yes even with a stock exhaust).

On slow corners the power delivery is similar to any 4-cylinder sportsbike (has to handled very carefully), so its not a beginners bike. I wonder how well it would do on a tight twisty mountain road. I hope as well as the ZR does. :D

Andy

·
MotoMacGyver
2,545 Posts
The TL-R has a reputation for being rather unsettled when pushed over irregular roads, and spitting people off before they can say "Oh $#%#!". Of course, maybe this is just part of the folklore of the bike. I personally think the TL-R is an ugly bike. Just like all the GSXR's as well. I think I've referred to them as "guppy" looking before. They look bloated. Can't argue with performance though, and I'd still like to test ride one. As well as all the othe bikes you've ridden. Lucky bastage!

Emrah

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Just wondering?

Don't take this the wrong way....but is Andy some kind of super biker gigolo? Does he own a dozen bike shops? How do you keep getting to ride all these bikes?!??!?! Most people can't ride a bike they're about to spend $10 000 on. It's no fair.

Matt ö¿ö

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sweet

You're right, it's not fair. :(

I actually love the look of the TL1000R, don't like the GSXR. I would love to get one for a track bike. I need to ride a V-Twin sportbike one of these days just to feel the difference between the V-Twin and I-Four.

·
Registered
106 Posts
lose those pounds

this is a rumor that i heard when i went shopping for my weekend bike back when i was delusioned and thought i could afford two bikes and it goes like this. in 2003 the tl 1000 is suposed to lose 36 pounds and gain 12 more hp. the sails man diddnt even try to sail me the bike he just said to wait for a year and then come back.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,545 Posts
I keep hearing rumours that the TL-R will morph into something resembling an SV to make a "SV-1000S" or something like that. The TL-S already looks like the SV-S (vice versa actually), so that would be really sweet.

Emrah

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
>I would love to get one for a track bike.

Stan, I've heard bad things about the TLR as a track bike. It's a very fast street bike, but they require a good deal of modification to make them safe and competitive track rides. Something about a weird rotary rear suspension set-up. That, and they weigh quite a bit.

The recommended track Japanese V-twins of choice are the Honda RC51 and Suzuki SV650, from what I've heard and read.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Everything I have been reading states that 2002 is the last year for the Suz twin motor. I haven't read of any plans for a new Suzuki twin.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Andy, Glad to hear you got to ride a TL1000. I actually own the S model (half faired) so it weighs less then the R model. I have never ridden the R model, but from what I understand, the S has more lower end grunt for street riding and the R makes more power being up top, but of course being V-twins, both models get in their power band much earlier than an I4 bike. I love the v-twin feel and think the power is just awesome.

Emrah, the rumors about the TL throwing people first started in 97 when the TLS made its debut and and a Europeen tester put one in a tank slapper. Well for '98 Suzuki immediatly put a steering damper on the bikes and then also retarded the timing in the 1st 4 gears so that it wasn't so unforgiving for someone who wasn't used to all that power :D However, the TL's image would forever be cursed by this and thus was never a big hit. The '97 TLS makes more power then the following years! Of course the 98 - 01 TLS are no couch potatoes either!

You can actually add a modification to the ECU called the Timing Retardation Eliminator that gets rid of that timing crap and gives you all your power back!

Kawman - Not sure what the future holds for the TL? The S model was discontinued in '01 and the new '02 V-strom now holds a detuned version of the same exact V-twin engine. The R was continued into '02 but I haven't heard if there is an '03 model coming out or if that is it? I doubt we will see an SV1000? I think this just came from the remaining TLS that didn't sell were refered to as SV1000's. (Maybe even stickered under that name?)

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Blue,

We have a 2001 TLS at our shop that is just waiting for a new home. Can you tell me a little bit more about your riding experience on your TLS.

Andy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Andy, sorry it has taken me so long to reply to you.

The TL is my 4th bike that I have owned in the past 8 years, but is my first sport bike. Before the TL, I owned an '83 Honda V65 Magna 1100. That bike was a monster.

When I started looking for sport bikes, I was set on the SV650s. However, I was concerned about feeling lack of power coming from an 1100cc beast. I then staretd researching the TL and after consideration, I felt it was better suited towards me.

I am 6'4", 220lbs. I enjoy having a larger bike.

The things I love about the TL:
V-twin: This is my first v-twin and I love the motor. I like having power low in the RPM range.
Torque. It is a torque monster and easily starts pulling from 3500 rpm's. Above 7K rpms, it gets closer to insane.
I like the half faired look of my TLS.
I dropped down to a 180 tire which was a great improvement over the standard 190. (turns in quicker)
Aftermarket pipes on the TL sound awesome. You get a great low rumble that sounds good. (Yosh slip-ons)

The major complaint you hear about the TL is the rotary damper. It tends to be very stiff and just give a different feedback then a standard rear suspension. Personally, I really haven't had a problem with it, but then again, maybe my riding style isn't agressive enough to notice.

I am very happy with the TL. I have had no problems with it and it is a great bike to ride. I always get looks where ever I go on it.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all ,,,, just got my second tlr yesterday rode it 300 miles home wich was much fun ,,,,,, went to start it this morning and ha ho no go if any one no the name of the senser that tells the bike its ok to start it lives just above the gear shift ,,,, im kind of hoping thats the prob ,,,,,, just pushed started it and took it for a mad blast round the twistys around epping forest .,,,,,,,,,, this bike will be up for sale in a couple of weeks as my old girl will be all painted nice and shinny ,,,,,,, the one I just got is a 99 model in blue and white got some nice bits n bobs on it and standard cans all its life looking for about 2300 thats wot I payed for her and I j7st cant live without one not even a few weeks any way if anyone has a clue wot the senser is called it will be all good ,,,,,, thanks all deanw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts