RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my D&D can has decided to start throwing rivets. I have replaced some of them before but they started to sheer off after only a week. I was using aluminum rivets. But now I have removed the muffler completley and am in the process of replacing the rivets. What I'm wondering is, is would it be harmful to ride around with just the pipe and no can? Also is there a particular rivet that would work better than an other?

·
Registered
467 Posts
It would make the bike run leaner. If it would be engine damaging leaner I do not know. If the aluminum rivets don't work then use steel. Are these rivets used just to keep the end caps on the exhaust?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not just the header its got pipe till where the muffler is attached. The rivets are used to attach the muffler to the mounting bracket.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'd not risk it.
Without an end can the whole mid section and collector is hanging on the header bolts.
Riding it like that poses a real threat of bending or shearing the header bolts.
I'd rather not ride than ride and have no ride (if you get my drift :smokin: )

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had to do this a while back to go get a part or something. It didn't run well, but the worst part was the noise. I had a headache for an hour after riding. Not fun. Plus it just sounds like poo without a can... I wouldn't recommend it either.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, so you have just the header/collector on?

Not a good idea.
Not sure, the end of the pipe was right before the rear foot peg.

But its no longer a big deal, got the muffler put back on, and riveted back in place. Hopefully it will last longer this time than it did last time.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The rivets are used to attach the muffler to the mounting bracket.
Oh now I understand why the rivets are breaking, the only place I've seen rivets used is to hold the end bits on the pipe and I was trying to figure out how you were breaking them. I've only ever had cans that had welded or a wrap around braket.

·
Registered
254 Posts
from wat ive been told this can effect your valve train and carbs if its not adjusted to run in this manner. so i wouldnt do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts