RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i went to the local shop and tried on some jackets today.
i went to check out the tourmaster cortech series but ended up trying on everything they had :)
they had a brand called Xpert... nice looking and fitting leather jacket. i think i may have to seriously consider that jacket :cool:
has anyone heard of this brand? feedback?
how about other jackets i should try? (i know we all love to brag about our gear, here is another chance :) )

thanks!
josh

·
Silver Member
207 Posts
ok, I'll bite...

I've been wearing a Joe Rocket Meteor jacket this winter. With the liner zipped in, I've ridden in temps down to 32F with NO problem. With the liner out and the vents opened, I've ridden with temps up to about 85F and been fine while moving, but it gets warm sitting still. Although advertized as waterproof, that's only partially true. In a light rain, the chest vent flaps let a little water through. Not enough to soak you, but enough to create an unusual water stain on your shirt.

For your part of the country, it might be just right for a year-around jacket. For the summer time here in Texas, I'll probably be looking for a lighter weight jacket.

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
I've had the TourMaster Cortech Sport for two years, and it's a great jacket. It's shaped very well for the riding position, and is very comfortable. I especially like the curdoroy-lined wrists and neck to prevent chaffing. I've worn it for everything from 20 Degrees up to 90 Degrees. Even with the liner out and vents open, it's pretty toasty in the hot summer months, so I have a BroshTex Summer jacket for those times. Not as much protection as the TourMaster, but still better than a T-shirt.

One other interesting thing about the TourMaster is the large storage pocket in the back of the jacket. It seems kind of strange, but I've actually found it very useful. It is accessed via a zipper on either side (which you can reach while wearing the jacket), and runs the entire length across the bottom/back of the jacket. It's large enough that you can get all kinds of stuff in there. I've used it in lieu of my tail bag many times for short trips. Large items with sharp corners can be a little uncomfortable on your back, but I've hauled things like food back there many times. Probably looks kind of funny for people to see some large item protruding from your back while riding, but it sure is convenient!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I picked up a Joe Rocket Meteor 3.0 at the LA Bike show in December. It is much more comfortable in colder weather than my full perf Teknic with a torso liner and a sweatshirt. I have ridden in temps down to around 29 degrees with the liner in and so far it has been great. It is very comfortable and I love all the armor that it comes with. I already had the Joe Rocket Ballistic 3.0 pants and the Meteor zips to the pants quickly and makes for a nice riding outfit. The Meteor jacket is definitely worth way more than the $150 I paid for it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wear a Heine-Garicke CyberSport. It works well year round, though the summers tend to get pretty toasty, even with the lier out and all the panels opened.

·
Gold Member
85 Posts
Another vote for joe rocket, except i have a blaster jacket. Granted I'm in Florida so I don't see much below mid 30's or 40's but it feels pretty good. Just got it this winter so I'm not sure how it'll do in the summer. I have a feeling it'll smother me then.

Z

·
0 Posts
I've got a Joe Rocket Atomic Jacket, in blue/black/and white of course! :D Because as we all know, the Blue one is faster! :laugh: I've used it in 90's and as far down as the 40's, with a polartec fleece shirt underneath....It gets a little warm in the summer, even with the vest liner removed and all the vents open.....the cure for this problem, is to go faster! :D I haven't used it in the rain, but then again, I don't plan on riding in the rain anyway, if I can help it....:D Overall, I'd say it was worth the $136, and it looks soo good on my Blue '00 ZR-7 (The fast one!) :laugh:

Ride Safe!

Pete
:cool:

·
Registered
148 Posts
joe rocket phoenix jacket

Two weeks ago I purchased Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket from ePowerSports.com based in Florida. They had the best price I could find, $99.95 plus 6.50 for shipping. I did had some problems with getting my jacket. It took about three phone calls but after my complaints the jacket had been shipped overnight without any extra cost for me. I do feel a breeze on my body while riding. The jacket seems like a must have to me especially with temperatures fast approaching 90+ I read some reports on vfr board from person crushing while wearing this jacket and it did hold up very well.
Tom

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
Tomek,

I picked up on of these Phoenix jackets a couple of weeks ago anticipating the 90+ weather. Have heard the same things that you can't beat it for that kind of weather.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm with Jarel...

My TM Courtech 3/4 length fits superbly for up-right riding. Plenty of vents, too. I stick my riding gloves in the back pocket. I tried on a few different types of jackets. For the most part, the armor padding did not stay in one place. The elbow pads on Joe R. loved to twist up the side.

My Cortech jacket shoulders / back / elbows contour perfectly and stay inplace.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I have a Kawasaki Tour Tech and an MSR dual sport. Both are 3/4 length and very comfy. The dual sport is for mild to warm weather, the Tour Tech is for cold to mild (zip out liner). Both are water resistant. The dual sport leaks (a tiny bit) around the pockets, and the Tour Tech hasn't been in the rain yet, but I imagine it'll leak somewhere.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was thinking of trying Fieldsheer's Titanium Air Jacket. JUst saw a big ad in MororCyclist

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was looking for a summer-type riding jacket with some body protection. I tried on several types of mesh and armour jackets including two Joe Rocket models and Arlen Ness and FieldSheer. The Fieldsheer was by far the most comfortable for me. It fit well and was $89.00 during Daytona bike Week. a company out of Brocktom Mass. was selling them at the Speedway vendor area. Lot's of good deals during bikeweek and a chance to see and try on a lot of different styles and manufacturers.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I wear an old (because I am :) ) 3/4 length motorcycle leather jacket, belted at the waist. You can see it here ...

http://members.unite.com.au/~u7061a/me_and_bike_and_draggin_jeans.jpg

It was made in Melbourne in the late 60's.

I wear it, not because it is necessarily the best thing but because (a) I already had it so I saved some money and (b) no-one else has one - IMHO it's a classic, though others might say it's stupid.

And it is leather, so if I do come off, at least there will be some protection (along with that offered by my Draggin jeans and leather boots):)

You could always look for a second-hand leather jacket.

·
Gold Member
276 Posts
I've got the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket, and for hot weather it's great. Almost feels like riding in a t-shirt. I feel they are a little overpriced, I'd like to see them come down about 20 bucks. I'll be getting the pants as soon as I can find them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
A big/huge vote for Leather. I wear a Schottz Street jacket (twice as thick as anything else I've found/it creaks) from the late 50's/early 60's that I bought used for $50 bucks 15 years ago. Very obviously designed for serious riding. No vents, two small hidden chest pockets (cell phone size), trim fit with a flap that cover your *** when bent over. Reminds me of a early wet/cold racing jacket. Hot as hell in the summer, (Perm. Liner) but it has saved several yards of my skin on occassion. Fair trade. I Just try to keep moving.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am with Jarel on the TM Cortech.

1. The liner is Thinsulate and it has full sleeves, not just the torso. It is extremely comfortable in cold weather.

2. Without the liner, very comfortable up to about 80 for me. Great ventilation. I wear it on real hot days when I am doing the high traffic commute for the protection, but wear a lighter one on weekend rides.

3. That back pocket. Very easy to access on or off the bike. I stick my smokes, keys, phone, wallet, etc.. in there all the time. It also holds a whole lot more. When I commute to work I stick my dressy shoes in there and change out of my boots when I get to work.

It may not be the best for 80 plus temps, especially if your "hot-blooded". But, below that temp it is an outstanding jacket. I emailed Ebert and Roeper and asked for "Two Thumbs Up" on the jacket, but they haven't replied yet!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Well, having crapped on about how good my leather jacket is, it's now been at the bootmakers since before Easter, while he tries to replace the zip without destroying the seams down the middle of the front. It looks a bit touch and go at the moment ... I'm getting tired of dropping in asking "Is it ready yet?". He's already had to buy yet another new zip cos he put the first one in off-line.

So I may yet have to go for one of those nice new ones you guys have been describing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
For hot weather I use the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket. Good protection and it keeps me as cool as I can ever expect to be. I've also used a Bohn armored shirt under a Draggin Jeans kevlar shirt.The Bohn provides armored protection while the kevlar shirt provides abrasion protection. This combination is just as cool as the Phoenix plus it is more comfortable although a little more inconvenient (2 things to put on and take off) and expensive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts