RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering how many of you ride in the rain? i sold my car earlier this week, cause i'll be leaving in a month for the service. i just bought a rain suit but haven't used it yet, just wanted to know if there are some good tips for riding, besides the obvious one of going slower..

·
Registered
32 Posts
dont drive in the rain unless u have to, if u need to and have to slow down try to just let off the throttle, and let the engine slow you down versus the brakes,

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Living in Western Washington, I ride in rain quite a bit. Vision is the biggest problem and I have yet to solve it completely. If you are going fast enough, turning your head from side to side will cause the wind to blow water off your helmet visor, but at slower speeds you need something like a squeegie on your glove to wipe the visor. Riding in traffic is bad because the spray from vehicles is dirty and doesn't blow off the visor easily. Fog and mist causes a similar problem, and riding on a freeway and passing 18 wheelers is a real crapshoot to be avoided if at all possible.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the insight. maybe i bring a bandanna in my pocket to wipe my visor. i have started engine breaking a lot more, cause of wearing my pads down so quickly. i live in pa and they're calling for rain the next two days and unfortunately i still need to get to work.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I doubt that bandanna will help much, unless you are planning on stopping every 100 ft to wipe your shield down

·
Registered
371 Posts
Should be doing it already, but when breaking grip with your knees. Or else youll end up sitting on the tank.

It depends on the rain and how hot, but the normal greasy area of the road (middle) ought to provide more grip. The oils get washed into the gullys created by car tyres.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Avoid the middle of the road like the above person mentioned. Oil doesn't get washed into tire gullys, it slick up the center strip of the road and makes it the most dangerous part to ride on. Oil and water do not mix and the oil beads to the surface when it first starts to rain. Even during torrential downpours oil does not wash off the road. My bike is my only transport and I ride in the rain as well. Best thing to do when you ride is no excessive braking or acceleration, and watch your speed into turns. With good tires, riding in the rain isn't all that bad other than the being wet part. And if you hammer down your front brake so hard you end up on the tank, you probably don't have the skill to be riding in the rain or maybe even at all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i'm assuming i should be riding in the trail of the car tires? i'm fortunate enough that work is only about a 5 mile commute, but i rather be safe than sorry

·
Banned
679 Posts
just wondering how many of you ride in the rain? i sold my car earlier this week, cause i'll be leaving in a month for the service. i just bought a rain suit but haven't used it yet, just wanted to know if there are some good tips for riding, besides the obvious one of going slower..
1. most dangerous rain is when the storm first begins because the oil has yet to be washed off the streets and is now sitting on top of the water.

2. any painted things on the road will become slippery, lines, etc..especially the large arrows

3. keep your eyes peeled for puddles, for danger of hydro planing

4. allow for more time in everything you do, turning, braking, changing lanes, etc.

...all i got off the top of my head

***Just though of this...make sure to maintain that chain if your riding in the rain frequently.

·
Registered
299 Posts
be careful of intersections too, i happened to low side in an intersection while raining, it was almost like ice

·
Registered
1 Posts
Riding in traffic is bad because the spray from vehicles is dirty and doesn't blow off the visor easily. Fog and mist causes a similar problem, and riding on a freeway and passing 18 wheelers is a real crapshoot to be avoided if at all possible.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
If you are going to use engine braking let the RPMs get real low before downshifting. You could cause the back tire to slide if you downshift into too high an RPM.

Make sure you have good deep rain grooves. You can't ride a tire down to near bald and expect to move the water out of the way.

Lean you body into the turns so the bike doesn't have to lean as far to negotiate the turn. Put weight on the outside footpeg when doing this.

If you do lock up the back tire when coming to a stop, KEEP it locked up until you are completely stopped. Otherwise you run the risk of a highside.

Leave a lot of extra space between you and the vehicles around you.

If your rainsuit is not a bright color, get a construction vest to wear over it to help keep you visible to drivers.

Get rain gloves with the built in windshield wiper on the thumb. It does work.

If it is a passing shower, wait it out if you can.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
i don't ride in the rain, as my bike is purely a recreational toy. oh, sure, i've been caught a time or two, but i purposely avoid it. not much rain here in socal anyways.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Careful with the front brake. I know from experience.

·
Registered
95 Posts
High visibility gear and patience. I rode rain or shine this season, with no close calls in the rain (lots of rain). 25Km each way commutes to work mainly. The one thing I always check is light operation, the low beam going out while raining sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Be safe.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I commuted everyday for 2yrs and i've ridden in every kind of rain, on the interstate. I can tell you steady throttle is very important, and as said before leave space between you and the car ahead. get good rain gear and be prepared for it to leak. just ride cautiously and you'll be fine. and as stated use engine braking. and ALWAYS LEAVE YOURSELF AN OUT!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's not that big of a deal. Just be smooth with throttle and braking. I prefer my motorcycle over my car in heavy rain because it doesn't hydroplane. When the gullywashers come though town that have traffic pulled over I am still moving. If you put Rain X on your visor it will stay clear as long as you're moving.

·
Registered
516 Posts
It's not that big of a deal. Just be smooth with throttle and braking. I prefer my motorcycle over my car in heavy rain because it doesn't hydroplane. When the gullywashers come though town that have traffic pulled over I am still moving. If you put Rain X on your visor it will stay clear as long as you're moving.
I was advised against using Rain X on my visor but never thought to question why. I figure the Rain X was designed for glass and not plastic. What are the damaging effects of using Rain X on motorcycle visor (if any)?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts