RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my ZR yesterday and today in high winds and temps below 50 degrees with some cheap kevlar gloves and fingers got cold quickly. What I need is some info from you guys in Michigan, NY, Mass. and other colder climates this time of year. What do you use or recommend? The Pilot jacket I bought from Jarel worked out real well today by the way. Tom

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Hey Tom, click on "stats" and scroll down to the links www.motorcyclenews.com. I was in there last night and they had some "Race Aqua". They said they were real good in rain and cold weather. I've been looking for something on this side of the pond that compairs, but since last night I haven't gotten very far.:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tom,

If you were thinking of heated grips, don't. There's a good reason why not all bikes come with them. I put them on and had them removed few days later. They are not worth a penny. I'm now considering a pair of 'buck baster' as used on motorcross.

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey AP, thanks and no I'm not considering heated grips, just some good gloves and maybe some type of wind deflectors on the bars in front of the grips, like some dirt bikes have (KLR650 for example). Tom

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
After having the Acerbis guards on my XR650, they are a step in the right direction, but they don't come around far enough on the under side. I ended up making my own and, combined with grip heaters, I don't have cold hands anymore when I get to where I'm going.

·
The Commander
5,021 Posts
Tom -
I bought a pair of Olympia insulated riding gloves last year, and they work very well. I never got cold fingers with them on. They're a little bulky, so you need to get used to them as far as using the controls, but they definitely do the job. I rode in sub 30-degree temps many times last winter, and I'll do it again this year.

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
You might mean "bark busters " . They were originally produced here in Australia by Goddards, whose son Pete Goddard is racing the Benelli in world supers. I think a "buck baster " would be like a giant turkey baster wouldn't it ??

I totally disagree about heated grips. They are designed to run like an electric blanket. Turn them on at the start of your ride and always just use summer/spring weight gloves. Your palms will heat up after about 10-15mins then all you do is turn the things off if/when it gets uncomfortable. When you get cold turn them on again. Its not difficult.

Some people make the huge mistake of wearing heavy winter gloves with them. By the time the heat gets through its enough to melt the skin on your hands, and its to late to do anything about it. If you do decide to wear winter gloves get in the habit of turning them off as soon as you feel any heat

BMW's wonderful heated grip system runs to $500 but has adjustable settings. I run a simple Oxford Products on/off set up which installed in under an hour. ( http://www.oxprod.com/ ) The grips are super soft and very comfortable.

If you really must fit hand guards try this trick set from Acerbis with built in turn signals/indicators ( http://www.acerbis.com/p106_handguard/images/700/12132605.jpg ) . You can even colour match them to the bike.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Hey Tom, I seen some guards this week-end that may be just what you're looking for. The stock ones on the new Suzuki and Kawasaki Dual-sports really come around alot more than the Acerbis do. Plus you won't have to change bar ends. The only problem you may have to overcome would be mounting them, but if you could find a shop that has some on the shelf that you could hold up to your bars, I'm sure the "inventive juices" would start flowing and you could probably pull it off.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I seen them again tonight on my way home from work. The KLR 650 comes stock with blue ones , but not the same shade as the ZR. But blue, none the less!:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts