RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been riding for a long time, my most recent being a Ninja 650R (2009). Honestly, I love this bike and if I could afford to keep it I would, however, I am salivating at the 14' Ninja 1000 with all I have been reading about it. I had a few questions for you that have riden both bikes:

1). Give me some idea of how the power feels in comparison (I also had a 2007 GSXR-600, so I know how top end power feels), but just curious, are you pulling the front wheel up in the first few gears? I read some reviews that this bike will out sprint most supersports up to 120MPH due to its massive torque between 4-8k

2). How are the ergonomics in comparison? I am fairly tall (6'4 - 220lbs) and am pretty comfortable on my Ninja 650R, but I did install 1 inch lowering brackets for the pegs (some times i run into problems as I am a spirited rider, touching them). Would you say this bike is very similiar in rider comfort and position? Smaller/Larger? I haven't gotten the chance to actually sit on one yet...

3). How is insurance on this bad boy? I live in Germany (yea its awesome doing WOT without having to worry about getting pulled over), but just curious stateside what people were paying for full coverage?

4). Anything else you wish you would have known prior to switching over?

Thanks guys,

Dave:headbang:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome Psycho

1. 1-6k pull is strong, like peak 650 strong. 6k+ it winds up very fast like a super sport. That being said, the 2014 has the electronics for traction control and also a "low power mode" which really mellows out the top end, so if you're experienced, you won't have an issue. At 240 geared up, I'm not pulling the front wheel up unless I try to. Then the traction control will step in and slap your hands for having fun, so no worries ;)

2. I'm 5'10" and top half ergos are great, like any upright sport touring or standard. The bottom half is pretty tight though. Even for my modest 30" inseam, my legs are tight at the leg angle and my heels are rubbing up the exhaust when I'm riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs. I wouldn't think this is too comfortable a bike for long legged folk. I think we have a couple guys over 6' though, so hope they well chime in.

3. Insurance varies a LOT for this particular bike in the states. Many underwriters class it as a super sport 1000 and prices are ridonkulous. (Just have to call around and find the right insurance co to work with). Hopefully Germany isn't so bad.

4. I honestly don't have any regrets or things I wish I'd known first. I'm very impressed with how much bike we can get for the money. This is the perfect all-arounder type bike I was looking for.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Wish I'd known.....I wont address the rest of the questions, as I'd have posted what HazzMatt did, if I were smart enough, on the rest...

Wish I'd known how bottled up the stock bike was. Its plenty fast in stock form, but minor hop ups offer another 25 hp, up top, and close to 20% more, down low. Keep in mind, it was already ahead of the ss bikes up to about 8000 rpm.....stock. You can imagine what its like now.

Once it sun-corked, rear tire breaking loose and wheelies happen often. Not much available, yet, for the 14, but it will happen.

If you start comparing it, on paper, to the ss bikes, you wont get one. Its heavy, big, and "low" powered..on paper. And not completely suited for track work. However, if your buying a streetbike, and dont care to subsidize a racing team, its what you need.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have ridden my brother in laws 650. Not sure what year but its def not latest gen. Ergos are similar. Power is very different, imagine more everywhere. Sound is very different too. The only downside is that your gas mileage will drop from 50s or 60s to about 40. This is "the bike" but I had my mind made up Years before I bought one.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
I thought of one thing thats way in favor of the 650. Let me play "old man" for a minute.....The speed thing is all relative.

Lets call it the terror factor....On my yz250mx bike, 50 mph is fast. 60 is terrifying!!!! On my sv 650, 85 felt fast and right up at 100, it felt like it might leave the ground.

The Ninja 1000? 120 starts t make me notice. The Concours 14 feels perfectly comfortable, safe, and awesome until the numbers wont go any higher. With or without a passenger, it does not mind.

I'm not saying you should not get the Ninja 1000. Its an awesome bike to go slow on, too. Very nice in day to day traffic and running errands. Possibly not as nice as the 650, though , in town.

I love mine, but do admit to it being overkill.

I'm havign a tough time describing what I'm trying to say. Performance. Your 650 is not a puss bike. Its as fast (Power to weight) as the original Kawasaki kz 900 which was for very experienced riders, only. Someone our generation has better reflexes and skills than our fathers? We need 10 second quarter miles, stock?

I always ride below the speed limit....at least 5 below, maybe 10. But this guy I know, Rcannon408, does nto. Theres a brand new freeway near his house that is engineered to be safe up to at least 150mph. Hes never seen a cop there, ever. Speed limit, 60.

Well, the other day, he opened up his Ninja 1000. Testing new fuel maps, and the bike performed brilliantly. Bike was abotu 2.5 times the speed limit, or close. He does this, then slows down.....just in time to go over the hill and see one of Utah's finest. Fortunate the officer was nto lookign up..He was probably masturbating since thats all they do as they lay in wait....which is illegal, but thats not the point..but it really made me think how lucky I was, and question why I'm on the bike I'm on. Why he did was illegal, but not especially dangerous since no one else was around, He'd never go that fast past a car, or let anyone see him do it.

So, awesome bike. I love it...but its talents go wasted in a 75mph speed limit world. The 650, though. is perfect for this. Kind of a "right tool for the right job" sort of thing.

·
Registered
532 Posts
the 650 is an amazing bike, and as rcannon said probably much better in a smaller environment. (if it had the hard bag options, the 2014 would have gotten a serious look from me). the one i rode felt nimble in a parking lot, like I could do circles in a 1 car space, it put a smile on my face with the strange thumpa thumpa sound of the motor. The 1000 is bigger, heftier, and i cant do circles in a 1 car spot.

If your not touring, or not rcannon408 then the 650 could be considered a better bike.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Thats my realization with this bike. Yes, I've bought in and added power to mine, and its fun...but, really, I sort of wished I really understood what a Padoras box it is in owning somehting like this if you ever visit the upper sections of performance.

Its a great bike, for sure, but if I sell it, I'm going less power, not more. I'd go for somethign liek the fz09 and have money left over to fix the suspension. But, no wind protection..Thats oen of the BIG thigns that sold me on the Ninja. Very good wind protection when its cold out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thats my realization with this bike. Yes, I've bought in and added power to mine, and its fun...but, really, I sort of wished I really understood what a Padoras box it is in owning somehting like this if you ever visit the upper sections of performance.

Its a great bike, for sure, but if I sell it, I'm going less power, not more. I'd go for somethign liek the fz09 and have money left over to fix the suspension. But, no wind protection..Thats oen of the BIG thigns that sold me on the Ninja. Very good wind protection when its cold out.
Surprised to read this from you, but it does make sense. I understand the appeal of riding like rcannon408 when you've got that power available with just a twist of the wrist.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm a lot more cramped on the 1000. I'm either hitting my feet on the engine or the exhaust. My knees are scrunched up. I'm kicking the luggage half the time when I get on or off the bike (and putting some marks on them too :( ) It's noticeably heavier, and not as nimble.

But, I get a hell of a cheap thrill getting on the interstate using only two gears (1-2). It's incredibly smooth as well (compared to the 650)

I'm a bit disappointed that the gears aren't taller across the board. I will likely change sprockets in the future. Not so much for power, but it feels like I have a 28 speed bicycle, where you don't really need all of them.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Surprised to read this from you, but it does make sense. I understand the appeal of riding like rcannon408 when you've got that power available with just a twist of the wrist.
This bike gets put into a strange class. The ss bikes went into a new dimension, power wise, just abotu the time they crossed the 150hp mark. Notice how none of the Japanese care to go much above that figure WITHOUT tc, wheelie control, and abs? I believe thats the point where even above average people start having issues keeping up with the bike. Even the zx14 was tamed down quite a bit before gettign the electronic nanny.

A Ninja 650 is a very fast vehicle....going to the Ninja...well, its like this.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

It's the corruption of power... and the N1K will corrupt you - absolutely! I got my performance award 2 years ago on the N1K and that was right after I bought it. I've only gotten faster on her since and tested the limits of grip - and lost - this year! I'm a 2 to 3 mph over the limit driver in my car... but a go directly to jail rider on the bike - and I'm almost 50 years old and know better!

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Black Sheep, thats it. You nailed it. We joke about it, and I do the same, but..honest. The consequences wont be that funny for either of us...

It makes me want Yamaha's yzf125r. That bike would be a riot at 60mph. Especially once I blow up the stock engine and bolt in a yz 250 two stroke with a 300 big bore kit. I'd seriously consider it if there was way to deal with the vibration issue.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I put over 10,000 miles on my 2012 Ninja 650. I find myself missing it a little... partly because I get attached to my machines like they're pets (I already know I need therapy, thanks) but I miss the comfort and familiarity of it - like an old, comfortable pair of sneakers. I could whip it around curves and turns without consciously having to think much. I went for a ride last weekend on some local mountain roads with friends and I was not pleased with my speed - or lack thereof. I've never been a very fast rider, but I was usually one of the faster ones in our group. Now I find myself on a learning curve again. The 1000 isn't really that much bigger or heavier than the 650, so I think it's just the different feel of the bike that I need to get familiar with.

All that said, I wouldn't be able to go back to a 650 as my main bike - LOL! The power is addictive, for sure... and yes, this bike makes you feel like a king on the freeway. I loved the 650, but the 1000 is even better in a lot of ways. The throttle and clutch are both smoother. The shifter is much smoother and doesn't clunk. Nothing on the 1000 buzzes or rattles (so far anyway) like on my 650. It is definitely more comfortable - especially on long rides. I think I read a comment that said it felt more cramped. Interestingly, I feel like I have more body room in general on the 1000 but my legs might be a bit tighter - unless I am imagining it. I don't feel cramped though. I also think there is a slight bit more of a forward lean - at least for me.

In any case, no regrets! I wish I could have kept my 650 too, but I think any good rider moving from the 650 to the 1000 will be happy they did. I think the important thing though, is really WANTING to make the switch. If you're happy with your 650 - and it is a great bike - then just ride it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
GreenMachineGuy... I was really disappointed in my Ninja 1000 on my first ride in the mountains with my friends as I had the same experience as you. I could not ride the same pace as I had with my former bike even though the N1K had a lot more power. Some of it was familiarity with the bike... I had none. But the real problem is that the N1K turns like the Titanic in stock form. Ditch the OEM tires ASAP and go up to a 190/55 in the rear and the turn-in will improve like night and day. Be a bit bolder and push the the forks up another 5-7mm (tops out in the clip-ons) and she turns even easier with no ill side effects. It doesn't seem like the small difference in rear tire height between the stock 50 series and a 55 series tire would make much difference. Nor moving the forks up a mere few millimeters in the triple... but the combination of the two is dramatic. I changed the rear tire after about 1300 miles to the 55 series and was happy for the next two years. I moved the forks up a month ago and am kicking myself for not doing it sooner - I was railing in the mountains at a faster pace than I have ever run before! Even if you aren't trying to set speed records on the curvy roads, the improvement in handling by doing these two things is beneficial for everyday riding as well.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
It's like having to decide between a Mazda Miata and a Corvette. Luckily I can have both and love both. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey Black Sheep - thanks for the suggestions. I'm actually glad to know that it's not just me. I did a little poking around on the internet and I see that the tire swap and fork height change has been done by other N1K owners. The thought of messing with the forks scares me, but it does seem simple enough. I'll probably end up doing this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It's like having to decide between a Mazda Miata and a Corvette. Luckily I can have both and love both. :)
Good comparison! Fortunately, I also have an '03 Buell Firebolt and an '89 Honda Hawk GT so I can ride a small bike when the mood strikes. Right now I'm just so into my new Ninja that I'm neglecting the other two. Maybe that's why the Hawk won't start :-(

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Good comparison! Fortunately, I also have an '03 Buell Firebolt and an '89 Honda Hawk GT so I can ride a small bike when the mood strikes. Right now I'm just so into my new Ninja that I'm neglecting the other two. Maybe that's why the Hawk won't start :-(
I had an 89 Hawk and loved it. Maybe after the thrill of this awesome Ninja wears off a little you can give that Hawk a little tlc. If it's setup nicely you'll love getting back out on it.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
No, you have to sell me the Hawk GT before getting the Ninja. There wont be enough room for all if you dont, right? Please...I really find mysel fwintign somethign low cost, small , and fun....Hawk gt or cb1 comes to mind. Just for local, short distance stuff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts