RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure out one thing, why ride all the way up on the balls when you have to move you're foot forward and down to get to the shifter? When i ride on my arches i can just rotate on the arch to shift. Wouldn't this shifting the foot forwad to the arch to shift and then back to the balls, movement, be a waisted movement? or do i need a shorter shifter?

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,139 Posts
I usually ride with my arches on the pegs but when I know I am going to be leaning over I put the balls of my feet on the pegs to keep my feet from dragging or hitting the pavement. You dont want to be shifting or using the rear brake when leaned over so moving your feet is not an issue at the time.
I often only move the inside foot if I dont need to move both.

·
The Commander
5,021 Posts
Ground clearance on the inside foot is a must if you're leaning way over. It also allow you to weight the pegs more effectively and allows you to transition your weight from side to side more easily. On the track it's required, and you quickly get used to moving it back and forth for shifting, etc.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
jarelj said:
Ground clearance on the inside foot is a must if you're leaning way over. It also allow you to weight the pegs more effectively and allows you to transition your weight from side to side more easily. On the track it's required, and you quickly get used to moving it back and forth for shifting, etc.
This is especially true if you are not wearing good riding boots. Sidis and A-Stars have hard plastic toe sliders. But a typical walking boot has nice sticky rubber that will grab onto the pavement and tear your foot off the peg.

It realy just depends on what type of riding you do the most. When I am out commuting, I stay on the arches. But in the canyons, I keep the tip of the pegs right at the point where the big toe, the second toe, and the ball of my foot join.

·
The Commander
5,021 Posts
The final trick for track riding is to get the inside foot up as high on the peg as possible for clearance and keep the outside foot wedged in the arch for better leverage. It takes some practice to get to where you can switch from one side to the other quickly in a chicane. But all the MotoGP boys do it, so it must make you cool....... :righton:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you also dont want to be putting you're weight on the seat right? I'm really trying to work on this shifting while in aggressive riding possition, need to put my bum on the pad to shift.

Another note: when leaning off the bike i'm suposed to be pushing my wieght forward and to the side right? like rotating around the tank, but i'm afraid i'm goign to take too much weight off the rear end and spin up my back tire. is this a legit concern?

Sry i have so many questions about riding position, i'm the only one in my group thats trying to get faster in the turns. so i'm on my own as far as learning this stuff.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
jarelj said:
Wow. Thanks Jarel. I snuck out early today and had this article fresh in my head. 10 turns into the ride, I was saying, "ooohh", "aahhh", "oh yeah".

I have been having trouble in the chicane type sections. Anywhere there are rapid left right left right corners with no straights. I've been figthing to get the bike back over the other way. Suddenly it all makes sense. At least the part about rotating around the tank. Doing this keeps my body weight low, and at the same vertical level as I switch from left to right. I can feel a significant smoother transition now. But there is still something I am missing. Or at least I don't yet comprehend how this is effecting my lines. I need to go back and re-read this article and see the other details I need to work on. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts