RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
1500 miles in 8 months and already ready for a bigger bike? Im pretty sure, unless you are rossi's clone, you still dont have any idea about how to really ride yet.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Here's a review of my 2008 650R. I've been wanting to do a review for a while so here we are, Let me know what you think!

2008 Ninja 650R Review - YouTube
First, WELCOME.

Not really sure what you were going after with the video. If you're trying to convince people to look at this over a 250, or just as a beginner's bike, maybe cover more of the "pros" and "cons". Are you trying to sell the bike? Maybe go over the condition, services done, mileage etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True, I've only tapped into a little bit of the power. In reality, I doubt I'll upgrade. This thing has much more power than I'll ever need

And nope, Just wanted to do a quick review. My first one, I know it wasn't great lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
I liked the review! Helped me pull the trigger on the Arrow! Pretty pumped to get it. Install was pretty straight forward?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I liked the review! Helped me pull the trigger on the Arrow! Pretty pumped to get it. Install was pretty straight forward?
Arrow makes a good product. I wouldn't get TOO excited about the sound of any slip-on based on a youtube video though. Different cameras pick up sound differently. I shot 3 videos to document the difference in sound quality on my bike, same camera, same position of the camera etc. ON CAMERA, the results go like this;
stock exhaust = loudest, slip-on (no baffle) = nice deep "mellow" tone, slip-on with baffle = tied for quietest with the raspiest tone.

IN REAL LIFE stock exhaust=quietest, most mellow, slip-on no baffle = HANDS DOWN loudest, with an annoying "CRACK" to the raspy tone, slip-on with baffle = deepest tone with less crack (or rasp) than just the open slip-on.

Not trying to sell you one way or the other, just warning (because the differences in cameras, location of the bike, proximity of the microphone to the bike, quality of video transfer, etc,etc) the differences you hear on youtube may or may not represent any differences you hear in REAL LIFE.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the tips guy, yeah I was judging it off Youtube videos, but when thats all you have you have to make the best of it. I listened to 4 or 5 different arrow slip on videos and have a pretty good idea of what it should sound like.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They're right about the cameras. But this exhaust sounds so much better in person. You'll love it. Install was a breeze, no complications.

·
Registered
804 Posts
IMO that plastic at the end of 2bros makes it look cheap. Looks like a toy you would by from Wallmart. Maybe it's good exhaust but looks cheap.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
IMO that plastic at the end of 2bros makes it look cheap. Looks like a toy you would by from Wallmart. Maybe it's good exhaust but looks cheap.
Is that PLASTIC? I always just assumed it was cast aluminum. I guess everyone has an opinion about WHAT looks cheap.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
What do you gave on yours Sarge? I've wanted to hear a yoshi in person.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
What do you gave on yours Sarge? I've wanted to hear a yoshi in person.
I had a Competition Werkes slip-on on my ER6N, it was loud and became tiresome on longer trips, plus I didn't like how it announced to everyone if I didn't hit second gear, downshifted too soon, upshifted too soon, or was getting "on it" to get around someone. The last one was the biggest. I'd see an opening in front of a car that was next to me, get on it to get into the hole, and then have the guy think "Ah, he wants to race!" or "Who does that guy think he is? He's not getting in front of ME" when he heard me and close the gap so it was unsafe for me to get over. With the stealthy stock exhaust, I accelerate and hit the hole before they even realize I'm speeding up.

For what it's worth I LOVE the slightly louder exhaust on my Harley Sportster, plus I loved the loud exhausts on my Ducati's but (at least IMHO) those bikes all sound REALLY good and were not tiresome at all to ME. Just so you know, I'm not necessarily opposed to loud pipes, I just do not like the sound of the parallel twin. Again, to ME, muffled they sound like sewing machines, unmuffled they sound like a tractor with a hole burnt in one piston and a rusted out exhaust. I'll stick with the "sewing machine" thanks.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I had a Competition Werkes slip-on on my ER6N, it was loud and became tiresome on longer trips, plus I didn't like how it announced to everyone if I didn't hit second gear, downshifted too soon, upshifted too soon, or was getting "on it" to get around someone. The last one was the biggest. I'd see an opening in front of a car that was next to me, get on it to get into the hole, and then have the guy'suthink "Ah, he wants to race!" or "Who does that guy think he is? He's not getting in front of ME" when he heard me and close the gap so it was unsafe for me to get over. With the stealthy stock exhaust, I accelerate and hit the hole before they even realize I'm speeding up.

For what it's worth I LOVE the slightly louder exhaust on my Harley Sportster, plus I loved the loud exhausts on my Ducati's but (at least IMHO) those bikes all sound REALLY good and were not tiresome at all to ME. Just so you know, I'm not necessarily opposed to loud pipes, I just do not like the sound of the parallel twin. Again, to ME, muffled they sound like sewing machines, unmuffled they sound like a tractor with a hole burnt in one piston and a rusted out exhaust. I'll stick with the "sewing machine" thanks.
Funny you say that. Nothing to me sounds better than an old school inline 4 with a Kerker comp header. I'm building a custom 1100 just because of the of that intoxicating sound! Sound is the only reason I've never owned a vintage Triumph..and the biggest reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a W650.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I had a Competition Werkes slip-on on my ER6N, it was loud and became tiresome on longer trips, plus I didn't like how it announced to everyone if I didn't hit second gear, downshifted too soon, upshifted too soon, or was getting "on it" to get around someone. The last one was the biggest. I'd see an opening in front of a car that was next to me, get on it to get into the hole, and then have the guy think "Ah, he wants to race!" or "Who does that guy think he is? He's not getting in front of ME" when he heard me and close the gap so it was unsafe for me to get over. With the stealthy stock exhaust, I accelerate and hit the hole before they even realize I'm speeding up.

What are the odds. I always described it as a 'pissed off' sewing machine.

The Leo Vince is actually fairly tame, even with the baffles out. Which is how I had it dyno'ed and how I leave it--even though it probably would not make any bit of difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts