RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at JC Whitney to see what they had so when I go to adjust the carbs I won't wish I would have ordered something that will allow me to finish the job correctly.

I found the following tools all which make sense to me to buy, unless you guys say they are absolutley unnecessary. I also threw in the valve adjustment tools for when the bike needs that.

AUXILIARY 2-LITER MOTORCYCLE FUEL TANK

CARBURETOR ADJUSTING TOOL

CARBURETOR SYNCHRONIZER KIT

FUEL/AIR MIXTURE ADJUSTING TOOL

MERCURY CARBURETOR SYNCHRONIZER
For multi-carb Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha cycles motorcycles.

MERCURY CARBURETOR SYNCHRONIZERS
Accurately synchronizes 2-, 3- and 4-cylinder cycles.

VALVE ADJUSTMENT TOOLS

These are all on JC Whitney.com under motorcycle and then tools. Would you guys mind scrolling over there and seeing which ones you would recommend? I'd really appreciate it. The biggest question is if I need the auxiliary fuel tank so I can run the engine. What do you guys do? Do you just use a coffee can with some gas in it and run a hose to the fuel petcock? After all this is a vacuume petcock and not gravity so I could probably run a hose from a gas can on the ground and the engine would suck up the fuel right? The adjustment tool looks like a tool for someone who doesn't know how to hold a screwdriver in one hand and a spanner in the other. But maybe it would be helpful? Do you need to mess with the pilot screws when syncing? Are these pilot screws as hard to get to as the description of this tool makes them sound like they are? The reason I ask these questions is because I thought that the SU tool kit was an option for the MG, but I quickly found out that you start using vice grips and the 'wrong' tools quickly when you don't have the right tools and usually you wind up messing something up from just putting teeth marks on nuts all the way to rounding them all the way. Other than those questions, I need to know which carb sync tool you guys recommend. More money the better or no? Thanks for your help. -Jamie

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
If you have zip ties, forget about the 2 liter fuel container. Home Depot sells zip ties in all varieties for a couple bucks. I'll go over to JC Whitney and check out your list................about the only thing on the list you really need is a carb sync. I have a problem with buying specialty tools unless they are really a necessity. A long screwdirver will take the place of the adjustment tool. The tube is so the screwsriver won't vibrate off the screws, but I didn't find that to be a problem. Of the gauges shown, the mercury would be the way to go, but Morgan Tune is another option. I have a Motion Pro and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everytime I have a question I think, 'Should I check the how to before I ask." I usually say no, this isn't a how to it's a tool question or whatever. I'm wrong everytime... Now I see the point of the zip ties on JC Whitney...lol As I was reading the article I was thinking, he's not going to just lay the gas tank on top of the bike. I guess Brian really is a bike rider taking every precaution to keep the tank from falling off. I know if I would have been writing the article, my tank would have extra decals or some sort of exposed concrete bites on it. For the 30 bucks that auxiliary tank costs, I'll just pick up another package of zip ties. I'll take a look at the carb syncs on JC Whitney again along with the Morgan. 70 bucks is a little steep IMO, but I'll check it out. I appreciate the advice. -Jamie

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy crap...

Looks like I'll get the Morgan Carbtune. The one syncronizer from JC Whitney is 59.99. Ok, so I figure they'll jip you on shipping. Yep. 14.99 for shipping!!! Why don't I just bend over for chrissakes?!? That means a better unit from overseas is cheaper. And American industry wonders why we buy foreign goods... :( -Jamie

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mixture

If all I have to do is play with the syncronization (which I'm taking is all I'm doing) you're right in that it shouldn't take more than a minute or two. When I rebuilt the SU carbs on the MG, you have to go back and forth with the mixture which takes a long long time. Some of that time can also be time to regain oxygen supply to your brain if you are running too rich to begin with... You guys have talked about the leanness of the carbs and playing with the pilot screws but say there is a cover on them or something. These carbs are a little more complicated than the SUs are though and I'd want to make sure I knew what I was doing in terms of the circuits and such before playing with them. This forum really is cool and I'm glad to be a part of a group with a great collective knowledge. -Jamie

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
another reason to go for the morgan carb tune over some of the whitney offerings is that the carb tune has no mercury. most of the whitney tuners work with mercury. it's a good safety measure if you have kids and i imagine it's also more easy to transport.

scott :)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
....just don't lick you fingers :) .....I think the effective range for turning the screws is about 3. I have mine at 2.5 turns. I think any more will get you out there in the "too rich" territory. The plugs are real soft. When I did mine with the hack saw blade, it took no time at all. A rotary tool will really make short work of them.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i used a rotary tool and it was a piece of cake. the only trouble was getting a screwdriver small enough to fit. i eventually got the smallest one i could and then used the same rotary tool to cut it down.

scott :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts