RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has just rolled 7,500 miles on my Stock tires, and the wear bar is flush on the rear tire and there isn't much left on the front tire.

I have quite a bit of recommendations for The MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 tires.
I have found them for around $300 shipped.

Can anyone give me 1st hand experience with these tires?
How long they have lasted and what you have paid for MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 tires for our bikes?

Any one have any other recommendations for Tires aside from the PR4?

Anyone know what the going rate is to have tires installed?

Few other questions -
Is it possible to replace the valve stem to a 90 degree angle valve stem? I have seen them on some other bikes and they look easier to check the tire pressure.
Is there any Tire Pressure Monitoring system that can link to an Iphone app or something that can be done when the tires are replaced?

Thanks in Advance for any help

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had Michelin Pilot Road 3's on my 2007 VStrom. I read that not much had changed from the PR3 to the PR4. They were really good, but it's a bit of a different bike. I was most impressed with the wet traction. If you're looking for a tire for aggressive dry riding, I think it would be a good tire, but there's probably better tires. If you do ride in the rain/wet, the PR3/4 should be an awesome tire.

·
Registered
36 Posts
replaced my stock tires with pilot road 4 tires about 5000 miles ago and they still look good. for reference, i got 11000 miles off of stock. it was $420 out the door, tires on bike and switching to the right angle stems. i definitely recommend the right angle stems, it makes checking/adding air easier.

·
Registered
699 Posts
A really good alternative is the Pirelli Angel GT's.
Love them!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Bridgestone S20 EVOs are what I just slapped on a few days ago. They feel good. Plenty of grip, I have a bit over 100 miles on them. $50 rebate card is always good too. I paid $205 out the door for 120 front/180 rear so the 160 combo might be cheaper. Bought them at rockymountainatv and they literally arrived 2 days later. Free shipping.

EDIT: checked rockymountainatv and they do not have 160 S20 EVOs. They have a 160 in the normal S20s, and have 120 fronts in S20 and S20 EVOs. Make sure to check availability. Other sites might have them, and the rebate is by bridgestone, not rockymountainatv.

90 degree stem is doable.

I paid $30 at my favorite shop to mount the tires onto the rims and balance them. Thats with wheels off the bike. More obviously if you just ride the bike in.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I did the angel gts, and I have about 9,000 miles on them, still wearing really really well. Haven't had much chance to use them in the wet, but when I have, they worked well. The rear size is a bit narrower than stock. They are great commuting/general riding tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
don't know if you already purchased tires, but the Michael PR4's have been the best investment I have made overall into my bike. if you're driving on the street, there is no tire that can provide as much traction - at even the most aggressive of 'street' speeds.

·
Registered
46 Posts
+1 for Pilot road 4. Great longevity. I have approx. 11000KM on them so far have still have quite a bit of tread depth remaining. I got around 13k out of the stock tire but was beyond the wear bar(Riding conditions have been more or less the same)

Excellent in wet conditions as well. All around definitely > Stock Dunlops IMO.

Purchased from: Pete's Superbike -

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
if you're driving on the street, there is no tire that can provide as much traction - at even the most aggressive of 'street' speeds.
That's a pretty strong statement. Imo there are plenty of tires will offer just as much and some even more than those tires. What other tires did you compare to? What's an "aggressive" street speed for you? Are you riding around so fast that other tires are no longer gripping for you yet the PR4s are?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Micheline PR4 since you are on the east coast. If you were on the west I would recommend the Bridgstone BattleAx Series - BT30 (which replaces the BT23) as a lower cost alternative yet with the weather I recommend the PR4.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've had the Michelin PP4's for about 6,000 miles now and while I did have to replace the rear thanks to a puncture, the front is doing very well.
I'd say these are probably the best tires for commuting, though they are very expensive. Their fine for sport, but you can get stickier tires for less.
They are probably meant for much wetter weather than we have in SoCal too. The few times I rode in light rain I could tell they had lots more holding power than I needed.

In fact, they are so long lasting that I'm betting I'll need a chain adjustment before needing to replace them, which didn't happen with my stock tires (Bridgestones) or the 2nd pair (Pirelli Rosso Diablos).

The valves aren't too difficult to access on my 2009. I just need to make sure they are in the right position. From the right side of the bike I check the pressure with the valve stems at about 5 o'clock position in the front and 9 o'clock on the rear. Get a tire pressure gauge with a rotating head.

Don't bother with tire pressure monitoring systems. They only tell you when the pressure is dangerously low. Check your pressure often, which means you'll be checking your tire (for punctures) at the same time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hands down the PR4. I had them o my FJR. Best tires I have ever owned for longevity without compromising handling. Father in law friend just rode the IBA rally on them Both had around 11k miles fully loaded and still have I would speculate be 2-4 k left on their rear and % tread on the front or better.

IMO they out performed my Pirelli angles in the curves.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's a pretty strong statement. Imo there are plenty of tires will offer just as much and some even more than those tires. What other tires did you compare to? What's an "aggressive" street speed for you? Are you riding around so fast that other tires are no longer gripping for you yet the PR4s are?
sorry im late back to reply but I noticed i did in fact make a big typo there.

what i originally meant to say was there is no other tire who provides as much longevity for as much traction - and its plenty enough grip for anybody who wont be taking it harder than aggressive street legal speeds. obviously, the Pirelli GTs are probably going to have more grip but they are ideal for a track type of setting to my understanding. what i originally wrote there definitely is not what i was trying to reflect.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Bridgestone S20 EVOs are what I just slapped on a few days ago. They feel good. Plenty of grip, I have a bit over 100 miles on them. $50 rebate card is always good too. I paid $205 out the door for 120 front/180 rear so the 160 combo might be cheaper. Bought them at rockymountainatv and they literally arrived 2 days later. Free shipping.

EDIT: checked rockymountainatv and they do not have 160 S20 EVOs. They have a 160 in the normal S20s, and have 120 fronts in S20 and S20 EVOs. Make sure to check availability. Other sites might have them, and the rebate is by bridgestone, not rockymountainatv.

90 degree stem is doable.

I paid $30 at my favorite shop to mount the tires onto the rims and balance them. Thats with wheels off the bike. More obviously if you just ride the bike in.
You paid $205 for two tyres? A set for my Aprilia cost me $600. I was expecting that I would be up for at least $200 for a rear tyre.

Edit: saw that the Bridgestone S20 EVO is actually the Battlax. If they are still dual compound, I think they would be a good tyre - I ran Battlax for many years...

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
You paid $205 for two tyres? A set for my Aprilia cost me $600. I was expecting that I would be up for at least $200 for a rear tyre.

Edit: saw that the Bridgestone S20 EVO is actually the Battlax. If they are still dual compound, I think they would be a good tyre - I ran Battlax for many years...
Yessir. Well after the rebate anyways. They are the updated version of the S20s. The official website had more info on them. I really like them a lot.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
The ZX6R comes stock with S20's. Great tire so far for the street. No issues at the track either.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
ok...so Koj and XP...what are your thoughts on running an S20 rear tyre with the stock front tyre? As you both know, fronts usually last two rears...and i usually like to run the same brand front and rear, but don't want to throw away a relatively good front tyre.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
What is your current stock tire? I had BT021's on mine. If OEM are still in the BT series, you will probably be fine with the S20. I thought front lasting two rears was only for the track? I believe my OEM's were wearing the same on the street. Maybe I wasn't having enough fun.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
My OEM rear was really bad, while the OEM front was bad enough for me to want to do both. I also do not like mix/matching tires so I just do both at the same time. I personally like that new tire feeling.

Xpyron: I am sure he is still running the Road Smart 2's on the 650.

Why not buy a set of the already cheap (but good quality) S20s and mount just the rear? If you dont like the feel of it after, say, 500 miles or so, just get the front tire mounted as well. But yeah I cant get enough of the S20 EVOs with both swapped at the same time. They feel great and are a good price.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts