RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving from NY to NC in 10 days and I have 2 options...

The apartment complex has garages right next to my building for rent at $100/month ($1,200/year) or I could add collision ($1000 deductible) & comprehensive ($100 deductible) for an extra $33/month ($400/year).

I'm worried about theft mostly, because as it is now, my bike has always been garaged.

Which would you guys choose? Garage or insurance+bike cover and let it sit in the rain?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Garage FOR SURE!!!! I keep mine in a garage to keep her out of the elements. Plus you get the bonus of having your own shop to do maintenance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If they're communal garages, invest in a good chain to lock the bike to a pillar.

You'll want it out of the weather and the public eye, and that's worth the money, but communal garages are far from secure.

I'd do that - and add the insurance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Garage has many benefits in addition to the space for the bike. Space for the car too, eh? And other stuff?

One question, is it individual garages or the kind where it is basically a long building with individual doors (meaning no partitions between bays).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if the garage has partitions or not...I'll have to see when I get there in 10 days.

·
West Coast Moderator
13,032 Posts
Go for the garage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
where are you moving to in NC? Just curious, as I'm down near Wilmington. If affordable, I would do both. IMO, if push comes to shove, insurance is very important. If you have a ground floor apt...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
i've always carried only liability insurance on my bikes, so i'd say choose the garage, where you can also store other stuff if necessary.

my son's a tv news producer in charlotte, CBS channel 3.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts