RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so what do you need to remove the wheels? Are there any tricks to it? Seems to be on there really tight. Anyone know where to get those Hitch pin type cotter pins for the rear? I have front and rear stands. The Stealership here will change tires for $15 if you bring in the wheels.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Okay, so what do you need to remove the wheels? Are there any tricks to it? Seems to be on there really tight. Anyone know where to get those Hitch pin type cotter pins for the rear? I have front and rear stands. The Stealership here will change tires for $15 if you bring in the wheels.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I use a breaker bar with appropriate size socket to loosen. Torque wrench to tighten. Motion Pro Hex axle tool for the front. http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0397/
Cotter Pins from Harbor Freight.

Make sure you follow the procedures outined in the Service Manual very carefully. Getting the wheels out of alignment is not very nice.

·
Banned
357 Posts
You need the propper size socket and backer wrench. For the reinstall you should have a torque wrench to tighten the bolt to the correct ft/lbs.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
- Proper size sockets for front (uses a large hex bit, don't try to use the tool in your kit that fits in it) and rear (large socket, again, don't bother with the tool in the kit although you won't break that one, it just won't accomplish anything because it's about 10x too short to get enough torque) plus breaker bar to remove
- Torque wrench to install
- front and rear stands
- a few other hex bits to remove the front axle pinch bolt and rotors (if necessary)
- a rag to cover the front fender if using a triple tree stand in the front
- rear spools recommended for the back
- a friend to help balance the bike while you lift on the rear stand to reduce the chances of dropping it, front will be easy once the back's up so you won't need your friend anymore
- if you play with the front brakes while your rotors are not sitting in the calipers you'll need a thin but strong bit of wood to pry the calipers open again without damaging anything, I know from experience

·
Registered
11 Posts
Make sure you zip-tie the brake calipers up as to not put a strain on the brake lines. Also by yourself some high heat grease and put a light coat of the axle when you reinstall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts