RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so what do you need to remove the wheels? Are there any tricks to it? Seems to be on there really tight. Anyone know where to get those Hitch pin type cotter pins for the rear? I have front and rear stands. The Stealership here will change tires for $15 if you bring in the wheels.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Why did you ask this in two places?

·
Registered
291 Posts
The best tool you can have for working on the bike is the maintenance manual. It gives you anything and everything you could ever want to know about working on this bike, including the tools required to perform each job, which is what you initially posted about. Since I'm a nice guy (and bored), I'll give you a heads up on the needed tools and some things that are less than obvious.

1. PATIENCE!!! And time. Especially if this is your first time removing wheels. And just to be clear, ALWAYS put the bike on the stands with the rear stand first, then the front. Always remove in reverse order too, otherwise you'll create a tip-over hazard.

When removing the front wheel I'd HIGHLY recommend that your front stand is the type that supports the bike from the lower triple; fork risers can potentially slip during any step of the operation from an inadvertent jar or accidental bump, and cause the bike to fall over - which will cost you alot more to fix than the $15 you were originally looking to spend :thud:

For the front:
14mm Allen socket for the axle*
8mm Allen socket for the axle clamp bolt*
4mm Allen key for the fender bolts
12mm socket for the caliper bolts* (you have to remove them to remove the wheel; do NOT open the banjo bolts unless you want to bleed your brakes- the calipers can hang from the lines)

For the rear:
22mm socket for the bolt head of the axle
27mm socket for the axle nut*
14mm and 12mm wrenches for the chain adjuster nuts

You can get a K-pin for the axle at Home Depot or Lowe's, works great. I don't remember the size though since I changed mine forever ago.

*-indicates a torque requirement - DON'T SKIMP WITH GERMAN TORQUE!! Otherwise it could be your A55!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts