RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2009 ninja 650r and it currently has about 1400 miles on it since the last oil change. For some reason the red oil light is now staying on when I have the key on. Then when I crank it up, it disappears. It wasn't doing this before, or at least I am just now noticing this on my daily commuter. Is that just something it does, or does it mean low oil, or does it mean the oil needs to be changed?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pretty sure it's just the oil pressure light. On my 06 it comes on when the key is turned on. Start the bike it goes out. Kill the motor and it comes back on a second or two after once the oil pressure drops again. That's how it is on mine anyway. Maybe someone with an 09 style bike can confirm but I imagine the oil light works the same between years.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Then when I crank it up, it disappears. It wasn't doing this before,
I think it probably was. Or it should have been.

Engines with an oil PRESSURE monitor are supposed to work that way.

When the engine is not running, the pressure is ZERO and triggers the light.
If you stall it in traffic the light should come on too.....until you get it fired again.

You didn't mention checking the oil level.
That should have been the first thing that you did and again every few hundred miles.......forever more.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pretty sure it's just the oil pressure light. On my 06 it comes on when the key is turned on. Start the bike it goes out. Kill the motor and it comes back on a second or two after once the oil pressure drops again. That's how it is on mine anyway. Maybe someone with an 09 style bike can confirm but I imagine the oil light works the same between years.
Same on my '09.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's the same on my '13. Turn on the key and the oil light is on automatically

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have a 2009 ninja 650r and it currently has about 1400 miles on it since the last oil change. For some reason the red oil light is now staying on when I have the key on. Then when I crank it up, it disappears. It wasn't doing this before, or at least I am just now noticing this on my daily commuter. Is that just something it does, or does it mean low oil, or does it mean the oil needs to be changed?
My. 08 does this also and didn't before but thanks for all the input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts