RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just curious as to what type of spark plug everyone recommends. Based on prior experience, I like the NGKs.

What about everyone else?

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
I like the kind the dealership puts in... stripped.

Just kidding.

The owners manual call for NGK DR9EA or the original plugs ND X27ESR-U. I would go with the original. Be sure to use Anti-Seize-Lubricant so it makes it easier to install the new plugs.

Andy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, I've used, and like NGK. Actually, I just got the DR8s instead of the 9s (a little hotter plug). But I was just curious if anyone has used brands such as bosch, splitfire, etc...and has had any luck with them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone used the NGK DR8EA vs the DR9EA? I know the owners manual says the "8" is better for slow speed driving (most of which I do), or cold weather (but I live in GA). When I looked the bike up at the local AutoZone, the only plug that showed up for the bike in the "plug book" was the DR8EA.

I got the DR8EA since it was the only one listed. Has anyone had any, or heard of any problems with this vs the DR9EA?

Thanks again.:)

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
I believe the DR8EA is the pulg for the 00' and the DR9EA is the pulg is the one for the 01' and 02'. I have 3 sets and change them when I make an oil change. I have one set that is D9EA without the resister. ............and they seem hotter or I should say the bike idles faster when their in........:cool:

·
The Commander
5,021 Posts
No, the plug specs haven't changed since the first model in 1999. The recommended plug for normal operation is the DR9EA. It has the correct heat range for most riding conditions. The DR8EA is an option for cold weather to make the bike warm up faster. It is a hotter plug. It is too hot for normal riding conditions and can cause detonation and engine damage if used in warmer weather. I have a set of 9's and a set of 8's. I put the 8's in when I'm riding in the winter below 40 degrees. The bike warms up nicely with these plugs in. All other times I run the 9's.

BTW - You can also use the D9EA and D8EA. It's the same plug without the resistor. It makes no difference on the bike at all, but you may notice people fiddling with their radios at stoplights because it can cause radio interference without the resistor.

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
YES ! Jarel, you are the man ! You already answered the question I was thinking today !

Q: How can I mess with people while stopped at a stoplight ? Preferably in a way that won't involve having to race, and in a way that they have no idea their problem is caused by my bike.

Thanks man.

:)

N

·
0 Posts
I'm using D9EA in the middle two cylinders and D8EA in #1 and #4. The reason for this is because the ND's that came out of #2 and #3 looked OK, but in #1 and #4 they were too dark for my liking. Could be because the middle cylinders run hotter, or maybe my #1, #4 coil is marginal. Used the non-resistor plugs 'cuz they're a few cents cheaper. BTW, the ND X27ESR-U cross-references to both the DR9EA and the DR8ES, which theoretically could also be used. IMHO, ND's suck. Next I'm going to try the NGK platinum DR9EVX.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,545 Posts
WOW, I'm really glad this thread came up! I just purchased a set of the 8's, as the shop down here didn't have the 9's in stock. I figured they're cheap enough, so I'd try them out and test them. If it detonates, I can swap them out. Haven't put them in yet. I'll do a report when I do though...

Emrah

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've run the 8s for about two weeks now. I have not had any problems. I just noticed that it warms up a little quicker. The bike runs great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow this is an old Thread. Anyways every site I've looked at recommended the 8s and the 9s came up as not a 'Fit" on my 2000 ZR7. I'm in Wisconsin so I don't believe it will make a tremendous difference as I ride in fairy chilly weather.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts