RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

recommendations for glasses

4K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  titomike 
#1 ·
ick! i'm 32 this saturday and now i feel old. i just got back from the optemetrist and found out that it's time for glasses, i've never had them before.

it turns out i've got a slight astigmatism. my dr. said my prescription is on an as needed basis; i only need to wear them when i want to. i've had trouble with my computer screen and road signs lately which is why i went to the dr. in the first place.

so here's my question: who wears glasses under their helmets and what are your recommendations?

my helmet is pretty snug and the only sunglasses i've been able to get on without mangling them are a pair with straight arms, no bend around the ear. i have a tinted shield so i don't need sunglasses for under the helmet.

also, i'm pretty rough on most things including my present sunglasses so i'm considering those nifty new 'flexon' frames. they're titanium or something and you can bend into a pretzel and they spring right back. anyone have experience with these?

thanks in advance everyone!

scott :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I wear glasses. I'm shortsighted, and have to keep my glasses on at all times. I found it difficult to put my glasses on after I put on my helmet initially. But I'm now used to it and the frame has been flexed enough to tolerate my rough treatment. Not long ago, I tried one of those BMW flip-up type helmet. They work very well if you wear glasses. You simply flip the front bit up when you put on and take off the helmet. I should have bought one but I didn't. Next one, maybe.

#3 ·
Hi Scott,

I don't wear glasses (I'm only 41) but you did mention you had trouble with your computer screen. It amazes me how many people don't notice when their monitor is shot.

I'm not saying in your case that your monitor is bad, but if others out there who are reading this message have a screen that displays small characters that are fuzzy, get a new monitor before you wreck your eyes!

Andy

#5 ·
I wear glasses, and they are, in fact, those titanium bendy ones. They can be expensive at the outset; the only reason I bought them was because my health plan includes eye coverage, and I got a hefty (like 50-60%) discount on the frames.

No real difficulties putting them on with a full-face helmet; you just have to ease them back carefully. Eventually I just learned where I need to place them in order to be able to push straight back with one shot.

I have, however, recently purchased a Schuberth Concept flip-face helmet. Schuberth is the company that used to make those BMW helmets that AP746 mentioned. Besides being an awesome helmet in other respects, (can you say tinted half-visor on demand?) now I don't have to take my glasses off at all.

#7 ·
scamp, my insurance sucks and eveyone that i know complains that the flexons are twice the price of regular glasses. but the way i see it these people buy new glasses every year anyway since the frames wear out. guess they're not doing the math.

shuo, that's two votes for flip up helmets :)

scott

#8 · (Edited)
Hey Scott, I started wearing glasses at age 32 also (I'm now 45, so I'm very used to them). I use titanium frames with glass lenses that gradually tint with the strenght of the sunlight, actually they get as dark as most sunglasses. It takes a little getting used to, but once you have, it is almost as easy to get them in place as without the helmet. And if you get the tinted prescription lenses, you can use a clear face shield. Tom :cool:

ps, the glasses I have right now cost approx. $250 and my insurance doesn't cover glasses anyway.

#9 ·
Tom - I'm getting a new pair of glasses this week for my birthday (40). I know at 40 I should go and buy a BMW bike. But I still enjoy my ZR. Do your glasses tint out much inside your helmet? I would have thought they wouldn't get much light exposure to work inside a helmet.

#10 ·
thanks for the advice on the frames tom :) nice to know they're not that expensive.

i'm going to go with clear glasses and the tinted visor. it keeps out all the light around the edges and keeps me from getting a weird suntan :) i might get some tinited clip ons since i usually wear sunglasses for driving and driving is one of the reasons i'm getting them.

#11 ·
Once you wear glasses long enough you will get nice little dents in yr nose and temples. Once you put your helmet on the glasses slide right in to position :D.

I actually have been wearing them since I was 14yo. Gave up on contacts a few years ago coz they weren't worth the hassle. I have tight fitting flexi-frames with poly lenses. Nice and light. They also have little magnets to hold a pair of clip on sunglasses when required. Look a bit like the little ones Jacques Villenueve wears. No probs with lift at speed.

My spares are rigid framed and cut your ears off when you wear them under a helmet. Go for the flexis.

:)

#15 ·
do the vigilantes have that nifty snap in nose piece that carries your prescrition lenses? i has some bolle micro edge glasses many years ago and i thought that was one of the neat features even though i didn't need it at the time. i'm considering something like these as an alternative to clip ons since i much prefer wrap around style sunglasses for sports.

#16 ·
AP746 said:
Tom - I'm getting a new pair of glasses this week for my birthday (40). I know at 40 I should go and buy a BMW bike. But I still enjoy my ZR. Do your glasses tint out much inside your helmet? I would have thought they wouldn't get much light exposure to work inside a helmet.
Yea, they do darken just as fast inside the helmet as without the helmet, and no us old guys don't really need BMW's (but it would be nice to know we had the bucks to get one, wouldn't it??

Scott, good idea on the tinted shield. I just never could get used to them and like to lift the shield when slow riding.

Now, I hope no one posts a question on hearing aids here, ha ha.
Tom :D

#18 ·
I've always wondered how they bend the flex frames to fit the face?

I found doing eye exercises helped my vision a lot! Been doing puters for 26 yrs and was starting to go blind. Doc said my eyes were lazy because I just glanced @ the screen instead of focusing on the words / characters. Found dove hunting helped a lot too...:)

I found w/ sunglasses that pushing the full face up a little in front helps get the ear pieces in place, push on face then pull the helmet back down into place.

#20 · (Edited)
Hmmm Andy what we call "beer glasses ". After a while anything looks good through those :D

The flexi frames just have a 2way hinge where the arms meet the frame, not unlike those old western style saloon doors. They bend out about 30-40deg and are much easier to squeeze around your ears inside the helmet. You are right about the visor. I ride summer with an Iridium tint and if I get caught out at night just lift it and catch the breeze and benefit from the protection of glasses.

:)

ps: in daytime regardless of heat I keep the visor down so I can stare at all the PYT and not get busted haha ..Oooops

#21 · (Edited)
glasses

I've worn glasses full time for 42 years.

Do yourself a favor and get the "plastic" lenses with scratch protection, transition lenses and UV coating. The plastic is softer than glass and scratches very easily. Go for the coating. The transition option lightens and darkens according to available light. It works as advertised.

The glass lenses are heavy and will cause you constant grief from constantly pushing them back up on your nose. Go for the plastic.

Frames are mostly ego driven sales. Buy what you look good in.
Practise will make putting the helmet on and off easier as time goes by.

Good luck.

#23 ·
bowman, thanks for the tip but my eyes are the opposite of lazy so i'm ok there. thanks for the idea of tipping the helmet to fit the glasses in.

andy, thanks as always :)

titomike, i'm referring to something different. 'flexon' is a trade name for a metal that when deformed will put itself back into its original shape. it's 8 times more flexible than spring steel. the frames may also incorporate the hinges you talk about. i'm not sure since i haven't looked at them yet.

jajamase, i'm definiely going with palstic and scratch protection but i don't want the transitions. i'd prefer a tinted clip on or my tinited helmet visor.

tdv, contacts aren't really an option since they don't work well for slight astigmatisms and don't suit my personal habits for work and play.

wow! this thread grew fast! thanks to everyone for all your input. it's all really valuable since this is my first pair of glasses.

#24 ·
Scott, if you have a chance, you might want to check out the Schuberth Concept helmet at http://www.schuberth-usa.com/

It's got a clear face shield, and a tinted inner half-shield that you can flip down just behind the clear one if you need it. There's a simple sliding switch on the outside of the helmet to flip it down and up. I think I mentioned the helmet in my earlier post; it's a flip front, so you don't have to worry about your glasses when you put it on or take it off, but the real seller for me was the tinted half-shield. It kicks some supreme tail.

#25 ·
Svott,

I'd rwply to uour post, but I dpn't jave my flasses on right mow and xan't reely see rhe cpmutr screem right mow.

Wmraj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.