RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this?

I am going to try to make this happen over winter....

The stock mirrors = viewing nothing and much frustration

Bar end mirrors didn't do much better, and the glass broke on one of them within 2 hours of install....

I am either going to get a camera and screen, or attach a camera to GPS that has a video input.

Thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Has anyone done this?

Bar end mirrors didn't do much better, and the glass broke on one of them within 2 hours of install....

I am either going to get a camera and screen, or attach a camera to GPS that has a video input.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Sounds like a very good idea and if done properly very marketable. I will awaited with interest!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've never done it, I would just be cautious of where the the screen is mounted. I wouldn't want to take my eyes off the road for any amount of time to glance at a screen mounted somewhere on the handlebar.

keep us posted...

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you were an uber pimp you'd have two small screens built into the mirror locations displaying a rear view image from each side of the bike.

Now that'd be cool!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am trying to decide placement of the screen... initial thought is to relocate the speedo to above the handle bar, like reverse the bar clamp and have the speedo ontop of the center of the bar and tuck the screen under the windscreen... The main concern is that if I were to get stuck in the rain the screen isn't designed to get wet...

I did consider mounting 2 screens in the mirror location, but water is again a problem and I think theft may be an issue as well... I think one screen tucked under the windscreen would be best, plus there is a flat cross bracket that holds the windscreen that would be great to solidly mount the LCD onto...

I think it would be great to look down and see speedo and tach and just past it a 3.5 inch LCD with rear viewing...

Amazon sells a screen with rearview cam for about $60

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Has anyone done this?

Thoughts or suggestions?
A buddy of mine and I threw the idea around of doing this a while ago. I don't have mirrors on my Z cause I can't find decently priced mirrors that look good. We thought setting up a universal fish eye lense type camera you could drill a small hole and install on the undertail or behind the rear seat. Then come up with a universal screen or adaptor you could plug an iPhone or other small screen device into around the speedo. Overall we never really pursued it due to a number of reasons, main reason being that by law it would not be street legal just to have it so what's the point. We were also in school for mechanical engineering so I guess the idea just got lost in the shuffle. I think it would be a really cool idea though, and shouldn't be very hard. The technology is already there with Toyota having something similar with their trucks with the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A buddy of mine and I threw the idea around of doing this a while ago. I don't have mirrors on my Z cause I can't find decently priced mirrors that look good. We thought setting up a universal fish eye lense type camera you could drill a small hole and install on the undertail or behind the rear seat. Then come up with a universal screen or adaptor you could plug an iPhone or other small screen device into around the speedo. Overall we never really pursued it due to a number of reasons, main reason being that by law it would not be street legal just to have it so what's the point. We were also in school for mechanical engineering so I guess the idea just got lost in the shuffle. I think it would be a really cool idea though, and shouldn't be very hard. The technology is already there with Toyota having something similar with their trucks with the rear view mirror.
I am not at all interested in the legality, I am rather interested in seeing whats going on behind me...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am in the process of using the stock mirror housings to mount a 3.5 inch screen and a remote LED for the radar detector, the right mirror will have the Whistler Crusader display, and a gear indicator.... Also got a gas cap camera mount, that will have the Motorola Droid X cradle mounted to it.... Found a sheet of ABS plastic at Best Buy of all places for $5
I just have to get some time to put it all together, probably about when its warm enough to ride... but this will keep me off the road till they get all the pot-holes reasonably filled in....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I want to see someone do this inside a helmet.
you look up inside your helmet and view the panaramic lcd od whats happening behind you...

it looks thru a mini camera on the back of the helmet...
with button on the side that cuts your music and turns on a mic
when u want to hear traffic blue tooth phone in the same deal.

I'll bet its a couple years away.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts