RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my bike it was set 2/7 I have been wanting to play with it I am 260lb. So I wanted to start playing around with it so I set it so 6/7 and it is much better then 2/7 (Wonder why, not really) I think I am going to go down to 5/7.

So, I was wondering what do you have yours set to and if you want to add your weight you can.

I also have a questions I know that the book says 400lb max weight. My wife and I weight about 30-40 lb more then that. should I have it set to 7/7 when doubling? I know a few people say to turn it up two clicks when doubling, or would we be fine with 5/7.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I set it 7/7 when I'm 2 up or touring.

5/7 when I'm solo.

Depends a lot on the condition/age of your shock I would think.

I weigh 180 lbs. Well, probably between 190-200 right now, always gain weight on trips!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
You need more air in tires if you're going to ride two up or fully loaded. Otherwise you will wear out your tires very fast.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need more air in tires if you're going to ride two up or fully loaded. Otherwise you will wear out your tires very fast.
Not what this is about... but thanks for your input..

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
when i had the ninja i had in the 4th notch. i weighed 185.. if you weigh more than 250 lbs i would say keep put it on the highest notch. If the spring is set to soft the rear end bottoms out especially if your 2 up riding... also remember the stock rear spring is pretty much garbage. because you cant set the rebound or compression or high and slow speed bumps in the road.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I like mine at 3.. it's a little spongy but 99% of the time I'm commuting along the highway. Had it at 4 for a bit and on the ****ty downtown streets it was just too harsh day to day. ~160 lb rider with probably 30-40 lbs of luggage on the back.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Funny i was gonna ask a similar question. Anyways, yea i just recently adjusted mine from the original setting it was given to me at which as 3/7. I weigh roughly 180 lbs. I now currently have it adjusted to 5/7 and the ride feels so much better. I live in Michigan, so our roads are not the best ones by far. I found i was experiencing tire skip going over bumpy roads, definatly didn't feel good going around corners and feeling the back end coming out. Since i've adjusted it to 5/7 the tires seems to spring back down and keep the rubber on the road alot better. A little stiffer of a ride, but definatly safer.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I weigh about 207 (more with full gear) and I have mine set on 5 or 6. When I got it, it was down around 3 or 4 and it was definitely too "spongy".

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spring Setting(with gear) weights.
1- 110lbs
2- 135
3- 165
4- 185
5- 205
6- 225
7- 245
Why such a has such a large range for 7/7 ... 245-400 ?

Also it look like most of us had super small previous owners or they didnt know what they are doing :/

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I'm 140 lbs and I have the preload set to position 6 out of a total of 7 (6/7) on my bike.
Granted, it is a different bike but I think we are talking about the same thing.
There is also a rebound setting on my shock and I have it set to 2/4.

Basically, I'm too lazy to fiddle with the settings. When I have a passenger or carry baggage for touring, I retain the same exact settings.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Also it look like most of us had super small previous owners or they didnt know what they are doing :/
400lb? I don't know, I guess they figure they can't make an exponential amount of settings for it. Figure at the size of the bike and its purpose not too many "Larger" people will be investing in it.

I would like to remind people, while most tour and a higher setting is ideal due to load. For those of you riding solo, I highly suggest riding at the correct setting(as close as possible) since this determines the pre-load and keeps the shock from over extending or bottoming out.
You will see differences in cornering as well. It's not a comfort thing, it's a setting meant to provide the most efficient performance from the assembly and safe.
I ride at 7 at 220lbs pre-gear. I think its "stiff" when I go over some bumps, but I think it is warranted in every other aspect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Excuse my stupidity but, why are you guys putting 2 numbers up here like 2/7? I do not understand. Am I adjusting my shock wrong? The manual only shows one number. Mine is on 6. I may bring it down to 4 because im about 185. By the way the roads here in Louisiana have got to be the absolute worst roads in the country to ride on. I really wish the suspension on these bikes were better. I still love my bike though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Excuse my stupidity but, why are you guys putting 2 numbers up here like 2/7? I do not understand. Am I adjusting my shock wrong? The manual only shows one number. Mine is on 6. I may bring it down to 4 because im about 185. By the way the roads here in Louisiana have got to be the absolute worst roads in the country to ride on. I really wish the suspension on these bikes were better. I still love my bike though.
They are just putting the /7 since there is a max of 7.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Spring Setting(with gear) weights.
1- 110lbs
2- 135
3- 165
4- 185
5- 205
6- 225
7- 245
Nice thank's!

I have mine set at 7/7 because me and my gf ride about 95% of the time together on the Ninja.

·
Registered
360 Posts
it look like most of us had super small previous owners or they didnt know what they are doing :/
Basically, I'm too lazy to fiddle with the settings. When I have a passenger or carry baggage for touring, I retain the same exact settings.
well, there's the answer ... LOL!!

No, the logical (and real) implied conclusion is that the stock spring is not recommended for higher weights - and if that's the expectation (say 300lbs), one should look at a stiffer spring and/or different shock.

remember the stock rear spring is pretty much garbage. because you cant set the rebound or compression or high and slow speed bumps in the road
I'm not going to argue whether the stock SPRING is garbage or not, but I fail to see the cause/effect relationship between the spring, rebound/compression damping and its adjustabilty :confuse:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts