RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at shock options for my 2018 ninja 650. Is it better to get a spring rate that is a little bit stiffer or softer than recommended by racetech? I'm 140lbs without gear.

08 zx10r stock is 9.1kg with recommended 10.38kg
04zx10r stock is 8.77 with recommended 10
04zx6r stock is 9.7 with recommended 8.87

Anything else to consider or recommendations?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bumping this to see if anyone knows the difference! Ebay has 08-10 zx10r shocks for $100+ and 11-15 zx10r shocks for like $75 lol What is the difference? Can't figure out why the newer shock would be cheaper

·
Registered
453 Posts
I’m not an expert but my thinking is go for a slightly lighter spring and increase preload if you need to. Softer springs are easier in theory to control(damp) too. No idea why the later shocks are less expensive

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just realised that you have different recommended figures. Don’t use the bike you’re getting the shock from to get the spring rate. That spring rate is based on bike weight+rider and your bike will differ from the ones presented.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might try to call racetech next week and see if they have any recommendations for me on which will be closest. I'm not finding much information about the differences

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
I know those shock spring numbers SOUND and LOOK very similar when rhe numbers are written down. In relation life, there is a massive difference in feel between an 8.7 and a 9.7.

·
Registered
453 Posts
@rcannon409 is the advice to go for softer than recommended sound do you know? I see conflicting reports on this and it made sense to me but it was also hotly debated when I read about it last

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
This would depend on your weight, but at 140, I think I would go with the softer spring option.

Reactions: za2ch2
1 - 9 of 9 Posts