RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 ZR7S. I would like to add a GIVI top case. From what I have read there appears to be 2 choices? The Givi topcase mount of the Five Star rack. Anybody have a ny experience or preference? Thanks.

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
John,

Welcome to the Forum - hope you like the new bike! I'll be installing a Five-Stars top rack in about 2 weeks and would be glad to let you know how that works out.

Haven't tried or used either brand before so don't have an opinion either way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you get the Givi topcase mount, you can only use it for a topcase only situation. If you want to add Givi sidebags, you'll have to buy an entirely new topcase mounting.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Definately let me know how the install goes Berto. Also, where did you get your five stars rack and how much did it set you back?

·
5,742 Posts
John,

I'm purchasing from another ZR rider who sold his bike, he hasn't received it yet. They are available from www.riderhaus.com but you may experience shipping delays. The costs are $80 for the top rack, $90 for the side racks. The top racks come with an adapter to attach standard Givi luggage. I'll probably order the sideracks later so I have my full summer travel setup but use one travel case on top for a couple of months.

Couldn't find a U.S. based distributor (German Co.) on the Five-Stars stuff. Definitely let you know how the install goes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I orderd the five star rack and a GIVI e460 top case from Riderhaus. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
214 Posts
John,

Is the case that you ordered the same model as the ones that Givi sells through Kawi like Mike has?

I like his top onl st up and am thinking about getting just the top rack and a case. Is that the route you took?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ethan, I'm not sure exactly which case Kawi uses. Mine looks similar. I have the e460 in matte black. I am installing it with a 5 stars top rack which I am still waiting on. You can take a look at the rack and cases at www.riderhaus.com or azmotorsprts.com carries the Givi cases and mounts. John

I plan to take pics and post an installation review when I do my install.

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Well I have been avoiding a rack coz I love to keep the clean lines of the ZR-7 tail piece, but with an impending weekend ride away with the boys I recently fitted the Ventura system.

The mounting rails took about 15mins to fit, and look great. They utilise the bikes two existing mounting points, the front holed lug and the threaded extension on the bungee hook frame. They didn't line up exactly ( a few mm out ) but that's not a bad thing as it keeps a bit of tension on the mounting bolts. With the rack removed you can barely tell the mounts are even there.

I bought a new 45litre bag ( which can hold a full face helmet ) from a mate for US$50 ( retail US$70 ) and the rack ( US$28 ) and brackets ( US$51 ) from the dealer.

Very happy so far.

http://www.ventura-bike.com/

:)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Mike, would this rack double as a reasonable backrest for the passenger? Or is it too far from the rear of the seat?

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Nope there is a warning sticker saying it isn't suitable as a backrest.

Since the rack slides down into the support tubes I guess the downward weight of a bag isn't a problem but leaning back against it could theoretically split the tubes and send you off the back.

Having said that it gives my pillion more confidence just being there, but being 3-4inches behind the seat it's to far back for her to lean against anyway.

:)

·
Gold Member
947 Posts
rack

Hi

I just received my FIVE-STAR rack from riderhaus. They are well made and very easy to install. It must have taken me 20 min. to remove the old bars and install the new rack. For now I am using a great touring bag I purchased from revpack.

:eek:

·
5,742 Posts
AralR,
How long ago did you order them? Both Top & Side? Mine (top & side) are still in no man's land, supposedly air-freight shipped today from Germany to their Austin distro center.

This company (they do this part time @ night & weekends) is the pits for communication and followup. Feel like it's just a big plot to screw with me. Ordered these 8 wks ago (told me it would be 2-3 weeks) and couldn't get a response for two weeks, emails, faxed letter, customer feedback forum on their website, nothing. Not at all like that when I first contacted them to buy the stuff..:yell: :mad:

If anyone speaks German here, they could do us ZR-7 riders a big favor and email/call www.jfmotorsport.de and see if there is any other English speaking distributor other than Riderhaus for the Five-Stars Racks. I sent an email to them (used Babelfish) but maybe it translated to "I want to put you on the rack", no response.

·
Gold Member
562 Posts
Berto,
I can't speak for ARALR, but my FiveStars top rack from Riderhaus came after about 6 weeks. About 1 week before it showed up, I got an E-mail from Riderhaus with a UPS tracking #, which gives an estimated arrival date.

Hope you get it soon.

·
Gold Member
562 Posts
No, Berto, they didn't say how long it would take. Luckily(?????), I was recovering from knee surgery at the time, so I had nothing but time.

Its really amazing how much time and money you can put into a bike when you have nothing else to do.:laugh: :laugh:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts