RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 06 650R and I'm trying to think of some upgrades. A fendor eliminator is a must. I'm leaning towards homemade, and I'm not sure what to do with the inspection sticker. Does anyone have any pictures of with the stock turn signals? Also, does anyone have any ideas about replacing the stock turn signals with LED's?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I don't know Texas law so I'm not going to comment on the inspection sticker. Many people have made homemade fender eliminators from parts from the hardware store. There are probably a hundred different Led turn signals for the rear. If you want LEDS in the front just replace the bulb, bau15s-18-led is the one you will need. I got mine from superbrightleds.com. When adding led turn signals you will need to either wire in resistors or get a led relay to keep the stock flash rate. I used a led relay from TST industries.com, its a direct replacement to the stock relay and it has an adjustable flash rate. Its part # is RLY-2-pin-G2. just google the part # its the first thing that comes up. Because I went this route I had to make a new wire harness for my Motodynamic tail light, unfortunately they don't yet make one for your model. If you want an integrated tail light AKO Racing makes one and I think there are some on ebay for like $30.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Texas I am required to have the sticker, I just don't know where to put it. I was thinking of getting and integrated tail light, but law also requires the turn signals to be at least 9" apart so the integrated wouldn't be an option. Is it as simple as a bulb replacement and resistor for the front and the rear signals? Is it the same bulb?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Here in NY we have to have a sticker also, mine is on the forks just below the top triple clamp. Yes the same bulb will fit front and rear. If you use load resistors you need one for each turn signal. If you use the relay I mentioned it just the one relay. Most all the online motorcycle shops offer some type of led turn signals if you want a different style.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you have to have a sticker in Texas there is probably also very specific instructions on where it must be displayed. In Indiana they recently became militant about where to place our boat stickers. I wouldn't guess, I'd look it up or call them. Try to proactively avoid some hassle down the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Texas I am required to have the sticker, I just don't know where to put it. I was thinking of getting and integrated tail light, but law also requires the turn signals to be at least 9" apart so the integrated wouldn't be an option. Is it as simple as a bulb replacement and resistor for the front and the rear signals? Is it the same bulb?

To the sticker:

§ 548.255. ATTACHMENT OR PRODUCTION OF INSPECTION
CERTIFICATE. (a) An inspection certificate shall be attached to or
produced for a vehicle in the manner required by department rule.
(b) The department shall:
(1) require that a certificate for a motorcycle be
attached to the rear of the motorcycle near the license plate; and
(2) adopt rules with respect to display of an
inspection certificate for a moped.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Notice "attached to the rear", not "rearmost" nor "FACING rear" and also the "near" license plate. Mine is on the right side of my bike, mounted to the swingarm, facing to the right of the bike.

To the 9" requirement. I could find no Texas law that specifies this. I have an integrated tail light.

§ 547.324. TURN SIGNAL LAMPS REQUIRED. (a) Except as
provided by Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer,
or pole trailer shall be equipped with electric turn signal lamps
that indicate the operator's intent to turn by displaying flashing
lights to the front and rear of a vehicle or combination of vehicles
and on that side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn
is to be made.
(b) Subsection (a) does not apply to a passenger car or
truck less than 80 inches wide manufactured or assembled before the
model year 1960.
(c) Turn signal lamps:
(1) shall be mounted at the same level and spaced as
widely apart as practicable on the front and on the rear of the
vehicle; and
(2) may be included as a part of another lamp on the
vehicle.

(d) A turn signal lamp shall emit:
(1) a white or amber light, or a color between white
and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the front of the vehicle; or
(2) a red or amber light, or a color between red and
amber, if the lamp is mounted on the rear of the vehicle.
(e) A turn signal lamp must be visible in normal sunlight at
a distance of:
(1) at least 500 feet from the front and rear of the
vehicle if the vehicle is at least 80 inches wide; and
(2) at least 300 feet from the front and rear of the
vehicle if the vehicle is less than 80 inches wide.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts