RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2000 zr-7 for about a month and plan to make many modifications to it over the winter. One is getting ride of most of the rear fender leaving just enough to hold the license plate. Another is putting the turn segnals in the rear brake light and also adding small angled turn signals near the side of the brake light/ turn signal. They look neat, I was looking at them on a sport bike. When I get rid of most of the rear fender, will I need a fender inside bolted onto the bar? I saw one on a Ducati Monster 750. Any help on these mods would be great.

By the way can a zr-7 Beat a monster 750 in a drag, I went riding with one this weekend, I think it could be beat it. It is a nice looking bike too.

Thanks everyone
Mark:)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
The easiest way to answer the fender question would be for you to get a manual and see what it is you wanna cut out and what you need to hold the rest together. The way I understand the question, you wanna remove as much of the undertail as possible. Most guys will just hack the huge "mud flap" off the back and then move the turn signals to where they want them. I have done much the same thing, but I removed the reflector and moved the plate up. I inverted the mount so the plate angles out, some guys just move them straight up and it has an inward angle. Jarel has some good pics. of his bike on the home page that may cover what you wanna do.

There's only one way you'll know if it'll beat the Monster......

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Does anybody make a replacement rear fender setup that gives you this look? I've seen some in magazines but they look like they're mostly for sportbikes. I thought the ZR-7 shared the back end with one of the other Kawi sportbikes, and maybe that could fit the ZR-7(s). Anybody know of anything? I'm sort of interested in eventually doing this. But I really don't want to hack up my stuff.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just chopped off everything and left enough to hold the plate on. All it took was some tape, a hacksaw and some sand paper. Looks great and cost less than $10.00.

As for dragging the Duc, I don't know on that one. I DO know that Harley's are meat for the ZR grill though. ;) A guy I know rides a 1200 Sportster XL. WHen he told me how much HP (65) he made and how much his bike weighed (700+ lbs), I LOL'd in his face. He wouldn't believe the numbers so I just had to prove it to him.
Needless to say, I don't take sh*t from Hogs any more!

·
Registered
374 Posts
My new favorite comebacks for 'rice rocket' (and we've all met a few) denegrators are:

I love those (choose bike), they look great in my rear view mirrors!

I thought of buying a (choose bike), but they had a sale on Lazy Boys and it looked like a better deal for the performance!

:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry, but I really do not get the cutting the fender stuff off thing. Don't get me wrong. I am not against modifications. My last bike was a 1976 KZ-900 ( yes, the "flexi-flyer" ) that I had put the 1000cc kit on, lowered, with hog wheel on the rear, Koni's, steering stabilizer,K&N pods,and Kerker 4 into 2 exhausts. I bought the bike new in '76 and tricked it out the next year. It was a blast to ride and was a bike that I HAD to respect, but I had my rear fender (metal is hard to cut with a hacksaw).
I have looked at many great used bikes that I would buy hands down, but someone had hacksawed off the rear fender and replaced the signals with pick-up truck running lights.
PLEASE, someone explain this phenomina to me.
I am not being hostile, just curious.

gtp (the official "ole fart")

p.s. Don't know about the Monster, but a friend I ride with has a DUC 996 another a CBR 1100. The DUC is a no-touch machine. He down shifts, rolls on , and poof , he is gone.
However, I don't need to stop for gas every 120 miles !!!

:)

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
The other ole fart (45)...

I've thought about it, but just haven't cut the fender yet. Just a little more courage and I'm gonna do it, I think. Strange phenomena. Tom :D

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
It's a sacrifice to the "Fender Gods".

It's just a "cool" thing. I'm so cool I wanted to cut mine off up under the seat, but that would've been "too cool", so I just cut off the rear piece and moved the license plate up. :cool:

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
It's a sacrifice to the "Fender Gods".

It's just a "cool" thing. I'm so cool I wanted to cut mine off up under the seat, but that would've been "too cool", so I just cut off the rear piece and moved the license plate up. :cool:

Come on Tom, "No Guts, No Glory". Actually I think it's cool that so many owners have their own interpretation of what's "cool" and not one of them is "Un-cool". It's all good! :cool: :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rear fender

I dont think that the stock rear fender looks that good, and the turn signals are kind of boring looking, so I think that by incorporating them in the tail lights and taking off the rear fender it cleans up the back of the bike, and it makes it kind of neat looking, what the heck its only a toy. Why not, just do it. By the way what is the replacement back fender called that goes directly over the rear wheel, is it called a back fender or something else??????

Also the Duc I would like to beat of the line is a Monster 750 much different then the 996.

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
race bikes chop the rear fender because it lowers drag since there isn't a big pocket there to catch air and cause turbulence. the rest of us do it for vanity ;) seriously, it's not really going to make much of a difference for our bike or any bike on the street unless your regularly breaking 120mph. BUT it looks cool! the stock rear fender looks kinda big and clunky so chopping it off cleans up the tail end a little making it look a little cleaner and more streamlined. you may get a wet strip up the middle of your back if you do it and ride in the rain.

if you go all out you cna buy a rear end kit that not only removes the entire fender but also gives you a nice smooth replacement panel that you can color match to the rest of the bike.

so in short it's really cosmetic and subject to your own tastes. it doesn't really do anything functional for a street vehicle but neither do all those stupid wings and spoilers people stick on the asses of their cars.

ISOTTA, that fender deal is called a 'hugger'. again, race bikes use it to reduce turbulence and the rest of us get one to look cool ;) it also usually replaces your chain guard since one is usually integrated.

hope this explains things.

scott :)

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Here is a picture of the Pyramid rear hugger.

Regarding the rear fender cutting. Lets face it, if it were short from the factory we would be adding a fender extender... :)

Andy

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
OK, here's what I plan on doing. As I said earlier in this string, I'm not into hacking up my stuff. So I'm going to get a rear fender kit from one of those supplies (which all require cutting the black fender off), and instead of cutting the fender, I'm going to do this:

Get a old used tire from a local tire shop. Not steel belted. Regular old bias ply if available. Cut to fit. Drill holes where the OEM fender mounts. And away you go. Original stuff in a cardboard box in the shed. Better crud protection than the original fender. Thoughts?

Kelly

·
Mr. Clean
422 Posts
Andy, thanks for using a pic of my bike with my new Pyramid rear hugger! Now I'm famous! LOL! I actually don't mind the stock rear fender, although I was thinking of trimming it off just under the plate (about 4").

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Now here is the hot setup. Chop the rear fender, remove the reflectors, mount the licence plate real high, and add a cool mud flap! :D

Andy

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
What? No chrome weights in the shape of women? Gotta have the weights. It's just not a mud flap without the women..... oh, alright...but it's not the same....:cool:

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Ok Andy, now you are making the photoshop pics a challenge. That's Matt Ream's bike and last time I saw it, it didn't look like that. Tom :rolleyes: ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts