RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All,
I just noticed this past weekend while at the races at NHMS/Loudon, NH that my right rear directional is on , but the left is not while bike is running. Both directionals work properly otherwise.

Are the rear directionals always on? I 've never noticed that before. Left bulb seems ok, but will replace it and see if there is a difference.
thanks,
michel

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
The rear direction signals should only be on when you have them flashing. They should be a single filament bulb (if not LED upgraded.)

The front direction signals should be on all the time, and when flashing. They should be a double filament bulb (if not LED upgraded.)

If a rear turn signal is on all the time you have an issue. If you turn a signal on for that side does the rear light get brighter?

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Obo,
yeah I Thought the rears weren't supposed to be on all the time,but wasn't sure, thanks.
flashers work fine, even thogh the rears are single filament bulbs, therefore more amperage is being sent from somewhere. Will check for loose wires / connections again as the previous owner had added a bunch of electrical stuff and I'm pretty sure he didn't check amperage or do it right. Could be I missed taking out one of his "extra" wiring somewhere. :sick:
michel

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Check the controls where the hazards / direction signals are too, as there's power there that overrides the direction signals.
If it's dim, and gets brighter when the direction signals are on my guess is when "on" it's getting the full 12v and brighter. When it's dimmer the direction signal is "off" and it's getting a lower voltage, and thus dim. You can always check the voltage with a voltmeter at the bulb socket. It's also possible to leave the bulb in and slowly pull fuses until you find it shuts off. At least that will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Obo, am just starting to get back into tearing the bike down....noticed that the right rear directional is on dim all the time, gets brighter on flashing signal. Will start tracing back the handlebar control to see if that's the source of the problem.
michel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts