RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm getting a bit of a rattle in the engine when I'm in around 4000rpm to 5000rpm. It seems to happen in all gears as far as I can tell... I've recently changed the spark plugs for iridium NGK, piper cross air filter and oil filter with new oil but it's still there. Anyone had this before at all...

Also do I need to rejet the carbs if I've changed the air filter to a piper cross???

Cheers
Chris

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,134 Posts
How many miles on the bike? Did it start after replacing the air filter? You could be running a bit lean. ZR's aren't know to ping but it is possible. Try some higher octane gas and see if it stops.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I always start with the easiest and cheapest solutions, so before anything else I'd confirm that the exhaust collars weren't loose, particularly as you mentioned a "rattle."

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I always start with the easiest and cheapest solutions, so before anything else I'd confirm that the exhaust collars weren't loose, particularly as you mentioned a "rattle."
id second that..mine liked to work loose every 500 miles or so..till i got mad and double nutted them

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys only today i've managed to got time to check it ill let you know what i find...

Its done a fair bit of milage (46,000 miles)...

Ill try a few things today and see what it does

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Are you sure it's an engine rattle and not a rattle of either the fairing or the tail light assembly (or something else)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure it's an engine rattle and not a rattle of either the fairing or the tail light assembly (or something else)?
Ye its definitely engine. I've put rubber washers on the fairings. Ive booked it in for the carbs to be re-balanced next week so hopefully they can take a look while its there...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi

I am new here.
I have a very similar problem. My engine emits a knocking sound only in the mid-range. Does anyone know what was the cause in this case?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd still look at fuelling 1st. Check plugs & air filter, then move onto carb balancing & tappets. Even if they aren't the cause, they are still good to do.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Is this on a naked zr7 or a zr7s? If it's a 7s it could be the fairing/headlight buzz issue which is completely different.

·
Registered
385 Posts
...am not trying to hijack the thread in anyway, and am intested in the rattle issue....but Cosmix, how did you get that Zeph with ZR-7 engine??? Am curious.

.....the ignitions are different, the timing rotors, and mounting shaft, completely different, and the front sprocket shaft slightly longer to allow for the wider ZR-7 swingarm,...how was it done??

1 - 20 of 35 Posts