RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Minor Damage and I walked away with a sprained wrist.

Was riding north on the left lane on the west side Highway in NYC last night at 12:45AM when a minivan driving male with his entire family in the car decides to change lanes without checking his left. he gets halfway into my lane before i can slam on my horn and swerve to miss him. I was literally traveling next to the driver side window, not sure how he didnt see me. I end up headed straight for the center island. I manage to stop the bike but i drop it. clutch handle snapped in half and my rear view mirror came off. some scratches on the left fender.

The worst part is. I get up to take a picture of his license plate, and the idiot slams on his gas with me in front of his car, i put my hands up in a please dont hit me kind of way, and he skids to a stop barely hitting me. then he yells at me, "you fell over on your own. I didnt hit you" and he takes off. insurance company will not file a claim because no witnesses came forward. there were plenty of witnesses, but its NYC. nobody gives a crap about you unless your bones sticking out and they can you tube it. wrist is pretty swollen not from the fall, but from extending my arms when he tried to run me over.

Be careful of minivan wearing NJ plates YHB 79U

·
Registered
217 Posts
Glad your ok. It could of been worse.

Just wondering since it looks like you have the plate number did you try to file a police about report? He didn't hit you but he did cause the accident.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
In Ontario, Canada most of the time if you didn't hit the other car or it didn't hit you, you can't claim anything. I've actually heard from other people certain situations where the cops and insurance said, "You should've just hit him." Stupid that it works that way.

Glad to hear you're mostly alright. Get his address and take out some windows.

I'm kidding of course.

·
Registered
256 Posts
That sucks man. Some guy on this board had similar incident at his job parking lot.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Minor Damage and I walked away with a sprained wrist.

Was riding north on the left lane on the west side Highway in NYC last night at 12:45AM when a minivan driving male with his entire family in the car decides to change lanes without checking his left. he gets halfway into my lane before i can slam on my horn and swerve to miss him. I was literally traveling next to the driver side window, not sure how he didnt see me. I end up headed straight for the center island. I manage to stop the bike but i drop it. clutch handle snapped in half and my rear view mirror came off. some scratches on the left fender.

The worst part is. I get up to take a picture of his license plate, and the idiot slams on his gas with me in front of his car, i put my hands up in a please dont hit me kind of way, and he skids to a stop barely hitting me. then he yells at me, "you fell over on your own. I didnt hit you" and he takes off. insurance company will not file a claim because no witnesses came forward. there were plenty of witnesses, but its NYC. nobody gives a crap about you unless your bones sticking out and they can you tube it. wrist is pretty swollen not from the fall, but from extending my arms when he tried to run me over.

Be careful of minivan wearing NJ plates YHB 79U

You have his license plate. Trace it on an online website and get revenge :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
That sucks man. Some guy on this board had similar incident at his job parking lot.
That was me and fortunately (for me) we worked it out in the end.

then he yells at me, "you fell over on your own. I didnt hit you"
That's almost word for word what was said to me during my parking lot incident. Glad you're okay though man because it could've been much worse. Get that wrist checked and get well...ride safe.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Glad your ok. It could of been worse.

Just wondering since it looks like you have the plate number did you try to file a police about report? He didn't hit you but he did cause the accident.
You can file all you want, in ny cops could care less unless someone was injured. I had an accident where a woman pulled an illegal u-turn on me causing my front wheel to kiss her's after I had to dead brake. I fell over, she doesn't get out of the car and just drives away. I had witnesses but it don't mean shat.

And my latest wonder with the guy tailing me that just drove off; cops don't do sh1t.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You can file all you want, in ny cops could care less unless someone was injured.
What if you played hurt and stay there on the ground? Wouldn't that count? Will having bike mounted camera system catching these guys driving recklessly change anything? Can't the video be used to press charges against the driver for reckless endangerment?

Second thought, now the camera industry will likely charge an arm and a leg for "motorcycle camera system." We simply can't win.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
What if you played hurt and stay there on the ground? Wouldn't that count? Will having bike mounted camera system catching these guys driving recklessly change anything? Can't the video be used to press charges against the driver for reckless endangerment?

Second thought, now the camera industry will likely charge an arm and a leg for "motorcycle camera system." We simply can't win.
I'd say a camera is a good insurance policy even if in the end it doesn't help you. Just having the video with a chance that it might help if you get screwed in some situation would be beneficial. I know lots of people that ride with a camera on at all times just for this reason.

Of course if you're riding like an asshat then it might hurt you as well.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
That really sucks man. I couldn't imagine riding a bike in NYC. I guess that is why they make the ICON bling gloves with the metal knuckles.

In my military MSF class that guy said that when you are riding your bike you have to imagine you are on patrol behind enemy lines. Your life is dependent on you seeing the enemy before he sees you.

How that relates to riding the bike is that you have to anticipate the idiots wanting to occupy your space and take action before you end up a statistic.

Sounds like an air horn is a necessity on the roads around NYC.

·
Registered
540 Posts
wow. I concur with fists through the window. Although nowadays people carry guns and whatnot. Glad your ok. Glad you were able to get up so quick.

Shame on the guy. I'm a US citizen but I wasn't born in the country. It always amazes me how much self-preservation is instilled into so many Americans. All his statement said was basically "i didn't cause your accident, don't tattle tale on me" and screeches off. Bureaucratically speaking you wouldn't even be the person he should be proving that too!

Let me slightly back off on the political notion - black and white sheep EVERYWHERE and I'm more American than anything else but lately this culture of "me, me, me" is really annoying me. Stick a "we" in it every so often.

rant done.

·
Registered
160 Posts
wow. I concur with fists through the window. Although nowadays people carry guns and whatnot. Glad your ok. Glad you were able to get up so quick.

Shame on the guy. I'm a US citizen but I wasn't born in the country. It always amazes me how much self-preservation is instilled into so many Americans. All his statement said was basically "i didn't cause your accident, don't tattle tale on me" and screeches off. Bureaucratically speaking you wouldn't even be the person he should be proving that too!

Let me slightly back off on the political notion - black and white sheep EVERYWHERE and I'm more American than anything else but lately this culture of "me, me, me" is really annoying me. Stick a "we" in it every so often.

rant done.
Agreed :)

·
Banned
679 Posts
Sorry to hear it bud, NYC drivers blow and have no regard for motorcycles. I was taking the Hutch to the whitestone over into Queens for my job, and I literally saw 3 fender benders a week. Which is semi-expected for NYC, HOWEVER, every single fender bender that I passed would just sit in their lane waiting for the LEO to show. You are SUPPOSED to move over to the shoulder, when the accident is less than severe. But these morons park in the left and center lanes, on a 50+ mph roads backing up traffic for miles.

One of the guys I was working with is a Hells Angel. He was telling me their weapons of choice are ball peen hammers for windows and mirror, whips for side mirrors and denting and my personal favorite glass marbles for windshields to toss over your shoulder. Personally, I've started carrying marbles. On a side note, I had to do a run to Yonkers one day to pick up some supplies for the job and the building I was going to just happened to across the street from a Hells Angel club house. It was pretty cool because I've never seen them in real life before. But as I drove by I witnessed the whips he described hanging from their left handle bars. About 3 inchs around, and 2-3 feet long made of braded leather with a knott on the end.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to hear it bud, NYC drivers blow and have no regard for motorcycles. I was taking the Hutch to the whitestone over into Queens for my job, and I literally saw 3 fender benders a week. Which is semi-expected for NYC, HOWEVER, every single fender bender that I passed would just sit in their lane waiting for the LEO to show. You are SUPPOSED to move over to the shoulder, when the accident is less than severe. But these morons park in the left and center lanes, on a 50+ mph roads backing up traffic for miles.

One of the guys I was working with is a Hells Angel. He was telling me their weapons of choice are ball peen hammers for windows and mirror, whips for side mirrors and denting and my personal favorite glass marbles for windshields to toss over your shoulder. Personally, I've started carrying marbles. On a side note, I had to do a run to Yonkers one day to pick up some supplies for the job and the building I was going to just happened to across the street from a Hells Angel club house. It was pretty cool because I've never seen them in real life before. But as I drove by I witnessed the whips he described hanging from their left handle bars. About 3 inchs around, and 2-3 feet long made of braded leather with a knott on the end.
With your threats you've made to show up to my house and injure me, it doesn't surprise me that you'd act tough by throwing marbles at a tailgaters windshield. Turning into a really successful guy. :rolleyes:

(He knows where I live because I was nice enough to let him come over because he wanted to hear the sound on my Arrow exhaust)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds very similar to what happened to me.. Glad the damage was only minimal to you and the bike. :bud:

Got mine up and running, but she ain't as pretty as she used to be. :thud:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts