RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In purchasing some winter mods, I reviewed a lot of the posts for a RAM mount on the triple tree. Sounded like a majority of folks really loved the ram ball nut from MotorCycleLarry.com, Wholesale Parts Factory Direct on the N1K. So of course when I go to the link on the webpage I get “Sorry, the product was not found.”... After searching elsewhere and navigating all over the website I finally called the company. Spoke with a really nice lady, she re-enabled the page so I can confirm the part, and see pics. They are on back-order to be made in roughly in 4 weeks. Link below if any new N1K owners are interested.

TRIPLE TREE RAM BALL NUT

Just like the previous posts, its a concours 1400 part but fits the Ninja.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ram Ball mount

I have a 2011 Ninja 1000 and I installed the steering stem nut from Motorcycle Larry and the threaded Ram ball about 2 yrs ago. It works great. I recall back in 2012 or sometime long ago that someone tried installing the other design with the tapered rubber plug. I'm wanting to say that it wouldn't stay tight and the piece kept coming out. The steering stem nut and threaded piece is very sturdy and I think it is worth the $.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
The tapered plug made by RAM does not fit perfectly in the hex hole on N1K but it does work. Many people have modified it to make it a better, sturdier fit. I had that set up the first year I had the bike, but bought the Motorcycle Larry part shortly after because I wanted a fit and finish that was top notch and didn't look like a cheap bolt-on part. Many people are satisfied with the RAM part, though. So it really comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The reviews I've seen also tip the scale towards motorcycle Larry's nut. I hope the price doesn't get jacked up when they arrive, I'm waiting on that puppy also.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Was anyone able to pre-order? I just see a button that says sold out.
Drop customer service a note about it, they said they would send me an email when they're back in stock.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I tried installing that RAM mount tapered tube last night. I overtightened it and the rubber tube and plastic piece on the bottom broke off and fell down the hole. Piece of junk. Luckily there is a removeable plastic cap at the bottom of that hole that allowed me to get the broken pieces out. I went inside and emailed Motorcycle Larry and got on the wait list for the nut. They also told me 4 weeks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I ordered the triple tree cap and RAM ball from Motorcycle Larry. It arrived in a timely manner. I guess I ordered it before the rush. The installation was straightforward -- getting the original cap loose was the hardest part. I have a mount for my iPhone 6, plus the Powerlet cable to keep it charged while I use it for navigation. There is a GPS app for the iPhone with some nice features to record all the parameters of a trip -- speeds, distance, time, altitude, etc. Of course, this time of year I'm using the Powerlet jack to power my heated gear. When the temps warm sufficiently, I'll switch over ...or maybe I'll install a second Powerlet jack.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good to hear it was an easy install. Was it just unscrew original cap, remove, and screw new one on? I'll be using mine for my beloved TomTom Rider GPS receiver.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Good to hear it was an easy install. Was it just unscrew original cap, remove, and screw new one on? I'll be using mine for my beloved TomTom Rider GPS receiver.
Yes... that simple... except you'll need a 26mm HEX socket to put on the new piece. That's not a size most people have in their tool boxes. I highlighted HEX because the part is aluminum and you don't want to round off or otherwise mar the nut when installing - 12 point sockets can slip if their worn.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Removing the original cap required a cheater bar on an allen wrench to break it lose. I just used a larger wrench to create the leverage. It wasn't too difficult. Once lose, the cap unscrewed by hand. It was stainless steel. The new cap is aluminum. Prior to removing the original, I wrapped a layer of electricians tape on the new aluminum cap to try to protect it from being scrapped or gouged while torquing it down. Electrician's tape is what I had handy. It worked fine.

Then, immediately upon removing the original cap, I installed the new one. I did not know how vulnerable the front end was (to falling apart) at that moment, so I didn't move anything until the new cap was tightened and torqued. I used a 26mm socket rather than a wrench, so I could use a torque wrench. I don't remember the toque setting, but it was listed in the instructions that came with the product. Adding the RAM ball after was straightforward.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Woohoo! I was just about to bump this thread, got the email the other day, and just placed my order. Its one of my last winter mods... Will be nice to slap my gps/phone in front of me now.

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
In purchasing some winter mods, I reviewed a lot of the posts for a RAM mount on the triple tree. Sounded like a majority of folks really loved the ram ball nut from MotorCycleLarry.com, Wholesale Parts Factory Direct on the N1K. So of course when I go to the link on the webpage I get “Sorry, the product was not found.”... After searching elsewhere and navigating all over the website I finally called the company. Spoke with a really nice lady, she re-enabled the page so I can confirm the part, and see pics. They are on back-order to be made in roughly in 4 weeks. Link below if any new N1K owners are interested.

TRIPLE TREE RAM BALL NUT

Just like the previous posts, its a concours 1400 part but fits the Ninja.
G'day mate, have the Ram Ball mount stem nut (expansion plug type) mount with the short clamp and universal X mount and it works great. Just need to insall it securely and it's rock solid. Seems to be a good design and well made. Installation was easy (15 mins).

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
G'day mate, have the Ram Ball mount stem nut (expansion plug type) mount with the short clamp and universal X mount and it works great. Just need to insall it securely and it's rock solid. Seems to be a good design and well made. Installation was easy (15 mins).

Cheers.
Some people have had success with the RAM part, but it doesn't really fit like it should because our stem hole is a hex shape and not round. The Motorcycle Larry part looks like a factory designed part and not an aftermarket piece.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts