RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.I've been riding for about 6 months, but not for the last couple of weeks because of the rain. I want to go for a ride, but I was wondering if there is any maintenance or checks that I should do first. The bike is not kept in a garage and was exposed to the rain directly. Also, are there any daily checks and maintenance I should be doing? Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
Not particularly. Motorcycles are water resistant by nature. If you have chain drive, you'll want to be sure to check/lube your chain more frequently. Make sure your tires have plenty of tread. By far, the biggest factor will be you as the rider in your bike's performance.

Now, for my personal opinion... don't. Wet weather riding, IMO exponentially increases your risk of single or multi-vehicle accident. There are lots of people that ride in the rain, most don't do it though unless they have to. If you went through MSF, they told you when it starts to rain pull off and wait it out. There's a reason for that. It's only marginally better than riding on a loose gravel road. So you can do it, it can and is done, all I have to say is you'd better be about 80% more careful (literally) than riding in the dry. Myself, I get caught in the rain occasionally but when I do I know how a cat feels when someone tries to bathe it!

Good luck if you do, good luck if you don't.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Riding in the rain brings with it additional challenges, but also a unique and rewarding experience if you are prepared to do it well.

First, I would say invest in a bike cover to protect your bike from the elements. The sun is actually worse than the rain for your bike. The UV will deteriorate tires, seats, hoses, wiring, fade paint, etc.

Then, if you are going to ride in the rain you need to be prepared with proper rain gear. You also have to ride with more room between you and other people. Do some research.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts