RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is it called for? Should it be done when changing brands of fluid or only if the radiator is not working well?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I do it once a year, not sure what the service manual says. Do you have a copy? There are free versions floatig around I'd you don't.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I changed mine last weekend after 2.5 years. The temp light came on one day as I pulled into the driveway, so decide maybe I should change my coolant.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know about changing fluid...but flushing the system is different. Can regular water be used to flush or do you need a store bought product

·
Registered
181 Posts
Kawasaki does not call for flushing the radiator. Just replace the coolant and hoses every 3 years and periodically inspect the fluid level and inspect the radiator, hoses, and clamps for leaks, damage, or failure. Thus, if you're going to flush the system you are operating outside of the mfg recommendations (thus there are no official rules).

I can't see how flushing with water would cause any harm. Track day riders often replace the coolant with pure water for use on the track; and then go back to a coolant mixture for the road. Just be sure to use distilled water.

I guess the question is why do you feel the need to flush the system. If there is a specific problem, then address it directly. If you're just trying to "go the extra yard" with maintenance, then I'd avoid it. If there was a need, it would be called for in the maintenance schedule. If you start introducing new chemicals not called for by the mfg into your bike then you may end up doing more harm than good.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Do yourself a big favor go to the NAPA store and buy a bottle of Max 1300 it is a readiator anti rust and water pump lube. The water pump lube is the most important part, I use it in my cars also. I change fluid every two years it starts to break dow by then. Doing this helps the pump and hoses also.

·
Registered
371 Posts
With my CBR 125 the process went like this:

Empty out water, replace drain plug with old washer
fill with water, get up to temp
repeat till clear
replace washer
fill with 50/50 coolant/distilled water.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tomm- Thanks man...you nailed it (was gonna go above and beyond), I was thinking I'd flush the system like Freak described but I now understand its not needed. Wasn't sure about coolant compatability but it'll be fine

·
Registered
1 Posts
I changed mine last weekend after 2.5 years. The temp light came on one day as I pulled into the driveway, so decide maybe I should change my coolant.
Did this help? I’ve never had an issue until recently. Swapped coolant last spring but thinking it maybe be time again.

·
Administrator
2,643 Posts
Did this help? I’ve never had an issue until recently. Swapped coolant last spring but thinking it maybe be time again.
Hi. Welcome onboard. This is a very old threat and most members are no longer active. If your temp light is coming on, check your coolant level, but also check that the radiator fan is coming on.

If both are good, then maybe a flush as described by Freak might be worth a try. Depending on how old your bike is, you could also try pulling and cleaning the temp sensor as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts