RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much sole searching I have pretty much decided to purchase the titanium Yoshimura slip on muffler. Their mufflers come in two different diameters--one has a 2 inch hole, which they refer to as their race muffler and the other has a 1.5 inch hole, which they refer to as their street muffler. For those of you who are using slip-on muffflers, which diameter did you get? Personally, I am leaning toward the 1.5 inch diameter muffler, as I am a little concerned about noise.

One other question, has anyone purchased the complete Muzzy exhaust system? I was thinking very seriously about doing this, but Muzzy is unable to supply a picture and I want to see what the system looks like before I buy it. They claim a 5 to 6 horsepower increase, which is not significantly more than a slip-on muffler. The other advantage is in the 25 pound weight savings.

Your thoughts and opinions please!

Tom Droze

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i'm not sure if this applies so ignore it if it doesn't ;)

yoshimura also makes a series of mufflers called Zyclone. these are generally quieter and less expensive than theire other lines. i don't personally have one but i've had them recommended by several people who've had them on various bikes.

scott :)

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Hey Tom, I have the Stainless Yoshimura round race slip on installed on my bike, cost about $280. I really like this can. It is not as loud as a Micron, but it does have a nice rice bike scream at higher RPMs. I also have a K&N filter on the bike too. I haven't re-jetted yet, but I suspect that from what I have found out here, I'll really enjoy the performance when I do. I think Fade has a Zyclone on his ZR. If you saw Andy's post on Micron and rejetting there is a pic of my Yoshi on my bike. But for some reason, I can't remove that 6 of clubs on the wheel. Oh, and Jarel is our resident Muzzy expert. Tom :cool:

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Dude get the Zyclone............nice sound (low & throaty like an old Z1).......but @ 5000 rpm it screams. Got mine at parts411.com for 225.00 or so and had no hassels. I think someone here at ZR-7 works for them :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ..............but thats another thread.
You wont go wrong with the Yoshi ....it sounds sweet .............plus it looks great.

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
So, the idea is, you can't improve on the stock piping? No way ! Go for the Muzzy system, why not ? What have you got to lose but lots of bucks and lack of horsepower ? Sheese, just do it.

Tony.

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Most aftermarket race pipes are louder than road pipes, but still have to meet AMA/FIM noise regs of around 93-94db, so are still legal for road use in a lot of places.

So buy anything, just buy it loud ok :D :D :D :D

:)

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Spend the bucks, gain the power...just do it ! How many have tried a full system on the ZR ? I'd love to know how it works.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Tom- Rocketdoug sold his ZR-7s to r2d2 just a few weeks ago. r2d2 posted in daily ride introducing himself. Rocketdoug sold me his Kerker can (brand new, never installed) because he said he got a new Muzzy system. r2d2 may be able to take a pic, if it went with the bike.

kelly

·
9,816 Posts
Thanks Kelly, I am under the impression that a full race system (not just slip on) can cost anywhere from $700 and up. That's alot of money, esp. if your'e considering a Corbin seat, and other mods for the naked ZR7 such as a fairing, etc. tom :)

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
When I decided to put on a can, I went with chrome. They really are not that expensive. Sounds like garbage though... :~

Andy

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
All of the "race" pipes sold in the U.S. come with a sticker that says "For race use only". The Muzzy race pipe is loud (like the Micron), so Tom D., if you're concerned about noise the full Muzzy system is not what you want. I have just the slip-on, and it's LOUD! Muzzy does offer a "street baffle" option on their pipes too, just like Yosh, but you'll gain no power with the smaller diameter pipe.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Tom,

I had a Micron with the 2" end cap. It was really loud. Then I put a 1.5" end cap on it, I heard no difference. It was still way to loud for my personal liking.

I put the stock can back on. Now I don't have to worry about excessive noise pollution and how much I'm reving the engine in town.

Andy

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Thanks for the feedback! I ordered the Yoshimura titanium race slip on today. If I don't like it, I figure someone out there in ZR-7 land will take it off my hands! :D

·
9,816 Posts
Don't worry about it, Tom, that can will be on your bike until you get rid of it. Good choice by the way (I'm biased though). Let me know what you think after a few dozen miles. Tom B. ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
My Micron may be to LOUD:yell: Have to try it out some more when I get back on the first....

Philip

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
23130. Vehicular Noise Limits
(a) No person shall operate either a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles of a type subject to registration at any time or under any condition of grade, load, acceleration, or deceleration in such a manner as to exceed the following noise limit for the category of motor vehicle within the speed limits specified in this section:

Speed limit
of 35 mph
or less
Speed limit
of more than
35 mph

(1)Any motor vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds and any combination of vehicles towed by such a motor vehicle. 86 dbA 90 dbA
Speed limit
of 45 mph
or less
Speed limit
of more than
45 mph

(2)Any motorcycle other than a motor-driven cycle. 82 dbA 86 dbA
(3) Any other motor vehicle and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicle. 76 dbA 82 dbA

(b) The noise limits established by this section shall be based on a distance of 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel within the speed limit specified in this section. The Department of the California Highway Patrol may provide for measuring at distances other than 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel. In such a case, the measurement shall be corrected so as to provide for measurements equivalent to the noise limit established by this section measured at 50 feet.

(c) The department shall adopt regulations establishing the test procedures and instrumentation to be utilized. These procedures shall allow, to the extent feasible, noise measurement and enforcement action to be accomplished in reasonably confined areas such as residential areas of urban cities.

(d) This section applies to the total noise from a vehicle or combination of vehicles and shall not be construed as limiting or precluding the enforcement of any other provisions of this code relating to motor vehicle exhaust noise.

(e) For the purpose of this section, a motor truck, truck tractor, or bus that is not equipped with an identification plate or marking bearing the manufacturer's name and manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating shall be considered as having a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds if the unladen weight is more than 5,000 pounds.

(f) No person shall have a cause of action relating to the provisions of this section against a manufacturer of a vehicle or a component part thereof on a theory based upon breach of express or implied warranty unless it is alleged and proved that such manufacturer did not comply with noise limit standards of the Vehicle Code applicable to manufacturers and in effect at the time such vehicle or component part was first sold for purposes other than resale.

23130.5. Vehicular Noise Limits: 35 MPH or Less Speed Zone
(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision (a) of Section 23130, the noise limits, within a speed zone of 35 miles per hour or less on level streets, or streets with a grade not exceeding plus or minus 1 percent, for the following categories of motor vehicles, or combinations of vehicles, which are subject to registration, shall be:

(1) Any motor vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle
weight rating of 6,000 pounds or more and any combination
of vehicles towed by such motor vehicle ........................................... 82 dbA

(2) Any motorcycle other than a motor-driven cycle ......................... 77 dbA

(3) Any other motor vehicle and any combination of vehicles
towed by such motor vehicle ........................................................... 74 dbA

No person shall operate such a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles in such a manner as to exceed the noise limits specified in this section. The provisions of subdivisions (c), (d), (e), and (f) of Section 23130 shall apply to this section.

(b) Measurements shall not be made within 200 feet of any intersection controlled by an official traffic control device, or within 200 feet of the beginning or end of any grade in excess of plus or minus 1 percent. Measurements shall be made when it is reasonable to assume that the vehicle flow is at a constant rate of speed, and measurement shall not be made under congested traffic conditions which require noticeable acceleration or deceleration.

(c) Test procedures and instrumentation to be utilized shall be in accordance with regulations of the Department of the California Highway Patrol, except that measurement shall not be conducted within 200 feet of any intersection controlled by an official traffic control device, or within 200 feet of the beginning or end of a grade.

(d) The noise limits established by this section shall be based on a distance of 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel within the speed limit specified in this section. The Department of the California Highway Patrol may provide for measuring at distances closer than 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel. In such a case, the measuring devices shall be so calibrated as to provide for measurements equivalent to the noise limit established by this section measured at 50 feet.

Vehicles equipped with at least two snow tread tires are exempt from this section.

This is for California vehicles.......I posted in another thread that the new max db is 97, that doesn't seem to be the case...Ya gotta love the last one......all you need is snow tires...:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts