RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hit by a ignorant driver in an audi recently and my left front fork is bent to s***. My first question; is there any front end swap that does not require a different wheel or brakes, pretty much trying to find a direct fit. Does that exist? My next question; I have a 07 r1 sittin in the carport with a shot engine and i took the triple trees and forks off it but I promptly realized the stem will not work. So i want to know if anyone has done a r1 front forks swap on the 650 and if so what modifications they had to make in order for it to work? thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,517 Posts
Hi. Welcome onboard. Sorry to hear about the accident. From memory I believe that there is an old thread on that fork swap somewhere here. Try the 'search community' tab. Also, maybe look at a machine shop swapping out the steering stems.

Reactions: Obo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Welcome onboard. Sorry to hear about the accident. From memory I believe that there is an old thread on that fork swap somewhere here. Try the 'search community' tab. Also, maybe look at a machine shop swapping out the steering stems.
Okay thank you. Yeah i just had a machine shop press out the stems but he kinda messed up the one i need to use so I think Im gonna have to have a custom stem made

·
Registered
406 Posts
Shame about your machine shop...

If you can find a 2008 zx10r top and bottom steering clamps and if they’re the same width apart as an r1 you could use them.
that’s because they’re a straight fit on a 650 and clamp 50 and 54mm fork legs

Do you know your fork leg dimensions length, and fork spacing from the r1? I can compare to mine. Are the r1 brake discs flat or domed ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shame about your machine shop...

If you can find a 2008 zx10r top and bottom steering clamps and if they’re the same width apart as an r1 you could use them.
that’s because they’re a straight fit on a 650 and clamp 50 and 54mm fork legs

Do you know your fork leg dimensions length, and fork spacing from the r1? I can compare to mine. Are the r1 brake discs flat or domed ?
Hell yeah man you have no idea how grateful I am for your help thank you so much. I believe the discs are flat and the forks are 28 3/4in long and I will have to get back to you with the spacing.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hell yeah man you have no idea how grateful I am for your help thank you so much. I believe the discs are flat and the forks are 28 3/4in long and I will have to get back to you with the spacing.
Don’t thank me yet mate it’s not finished lol
The fact that the discs are flat is a good sign.. same as Kawasaki
Fork clamps 50/54 same as Kawasaki
Check this website out. It says that you’re in luck as the fork spacing is 210mm same as older Kawasaki zx10. If we can verify that on your r1 and my zx10 and leg length.....happy days!! ....https://litetek.co/Guide_USD_ForkDatabase.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don’t thank me yet mate it’s not finished lol
The fact that the discs are flat is a good sign.. same as Kawasaki
Fork clamps 50/54 same as Kawasaki
Check this website out. It says that you’re in luck as the fork spacing is 210mm same as older Kawasaki zx10. If we can verify that on your r1 and my zx10 and leg length.....happy days!! ....https://litetek.co/Guide_USD_ForkDatabase.html
It worked!!!! The zx10 triple came in the mail today and it is indeed exactly I was looking for. I honestly can not thank you enough, but thank you! ill be posting pics of the bike and a thread to the swap sometime soon here. image_123923953 (1).JPG image_123923953.JPG

·
Registered
406 Posts
Oh, one thing to check is the Rake and trail of the bike. The zx10 triples are quite ‘pointy’ compared to the 650 ones. You might want to read up and do some measurements otherwise it can be quite different to the way it used to be. The brakes will be a revelation. Also check the weight of the bike and adjust your sag to suit your new steed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Also I have a stock 08 top triple you can have it for the cost of postage.... I’m in Australia lol

·
Registered
406 Posts
If anyone else wants a fork swap I have a front end off a ‘12 z1000sx sans wheel and brakes. It’s in Sydney Australia.

·
Super Moderator
2,517 Posts
If anyone else wants a fork swap I have a front end off a ‘12 z1000sx sans wheel and brakes. It’s in Sydney Australia.
Maybe post them in the parts for sale forum, might get more hits there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, one thing to check is the Rake and trail of the bike. The zx10 triples are quite ‘pointy’ compared to the 650 ones. You might want to read up and do some measurements otherwise it can be quite different to the way it used to be. The brakes will be a revelation. Also check the weight of the bike and adjust your sag to suit your new steed.
The rake is a 1 degree difference the 650 being 25 and the r1 being 24, do you think that will be an issue? They have the same size wheel and I am going to measure the trail tomorrow with my laser and micrometer.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Remember You’re using an er650 frame, zx10 clamps and r1 forks. Each of those pieces contribute. One degree isn’t a lot but it could be anything.
it depends how you’re going to use it... canyon and track work? Try r1 spec... daily commuter definitely something more stable

1 - 17 of 17 Posts