RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people have asked how the R&G frame sliders hold up doing a 'crash'. I found out today. :(

I installed them earlier today after having them sitting around for a month. Decided to wash, wax and clean my bike since it stopped raining. Installed them as well as I did a bit of maintenance. Well, the instructions suck. I had to figure them out on my own.

Afterwards I went for a ride... Long story short someone tried to hit me head on in a corner at 30mph... I swerved and started to go straight while breaking, but couldn't stop before the shoulder and ended up sliding into the shoulder/grass about 10-15 feet.

Got up, lifted the bike off me to find the car wasn't there... Great, damage is me or my insurance. Lifted it up and found my pants got ripped a bit.

Found my bike like this:

Well, the frame sliders did their job. But the ugly.. The bolt holding the slider in bent to a 90 degree and ended up causing the top fairing to get a deep scratch:

The mirror had an extender so it just bent back and I didn't have to replace it. It didn't look as bad as I thought it would. But my pipe got scratched. :(

I'm okay, need to patch my gear... Everything is fine except I had to order a new puck from Ninja650 shop for $50, but it saved me a lot more. I bought some stuff called Scratch X 2.0 (http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G10307-Scratch-X-2-0/dp/B0002UNON8) which got all the scratches out except for the deep one that scratched the paint. I guess that is what Color Rite is for.

After everything is said and done, the only damage I have is a non-noticeable pipe scratch and this scratch which is left and you can't even tell unless you LOOK.

All in all, the frame sliders are pricey, but they are worth it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ouch, that sucks. Ironic though that the day you installed them, is the day you needed them - couldn't have better timing though I guess.

Frame sliders are without doubt one of the most under-rated and under-used accessories you can buy. They seem like alot upfront. But think about how much that COULD have cost, had you not installed those sliders. All in all, you made out very nicely. Try some Scotchbrite on your slip-on, should buff it out a decent bit.

·
Registered
540 Posts
glad your ok bud

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
^ Get yourself a bottle of loctite or threadlocker while you're at it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't use just any bolt, that bolt is a 8.8 Grade that is designed to bend and absorb impact, rather than snap off and leave you SOL. It's a 10mm bolt. (Pretty sure its either 70mm or 80mm long)
It bent and got a deep upper scratch, but better than f'ed fairings.

The replacement just game. My 14mm and 5/8th (largest I have) don't fit. I'll need to go buy a bigger set.

Now I'm waiting for my left side puck since that's the one that fell off. I was showing a friend who has a 650r, and showed him the puck and damage and went to show him the other undamaged one and he asked "where is it?" I had egg on my face. :(

·
Registered
230 Posts
pop

It may be designed to bend but mine snapped clean off....
still thankful it absorbed the impact and not my fairings....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts