RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a ZR-7S and was curious about the Versys. I have a couple of bullet point questions?
1. Lowering the Versys.
2. Highway speeds on the Versys.

I'm vertically challenged when it comes to bikes. Getting the seat down to 30 or 31 inches would be a definite must. Does it lower properly? What I mean is can you get it even. -2 in back and -2 in the front. Does it affect handling?

What does it rev at say 120km or 70 mph? Do you get vibrations from the Versys?
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dan, lowering the Versys is no problem as can be seen in the thread in Tom's
post. RPM's at 70mph indicated is 5,000 however mine needs to read 75 on the speedometer to get an actual 70mph on the GPS. So it is about 5,200 rpm. There is some vibration as is normal for parallel twins. It does not bother me. Do test ride one if you can. Even with the stock height configuration, it is easy to ride, it being light and leaning with one foot down at stops.
cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Versys and the vibration level is very low, much lower than my KLR for example. I do quite a bit of full-day riding and don't expect vibration to be a problem with this bike like it has been on most others.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I don't understand why you wouldn't just get a Ninja 650 or ER6N if you need to lower the suspension on the Versys. They can be had for less money and also have a comfortable riding position. But, whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I am learning that the fit of the bike is more important than most other factors. you can spend a boat load of money trying to make a bike fit you when there is probably a bike that fits right out of the box.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
One of the reasons the Versys is attractive to me is precisely the long travel suspension.
Once you lower it, you're losing that.

If it were me, I'd customize the oem seat. Lose some padding from the oem seat (eg., replace the foam with better quality, thinner foam). It may be possible to lose an inch or more this way.

·
Registered
341 Posts
TWA - Hi, snyi from the EX500 forum. As you might know, I had a Ninja 650, and liked it a lot. The reason I am considering the Versys (and I would have to lower it) as opposed to another Ninja is I grew to hate the plastic body panels on the Ninja. I don't want to go through the hassle of getting a 650R and turning it into a street fighter. As for the ER6N, I do not find them to be less expensive on the used market than the Versys, and certainly much less available in my area. Further, I am concerned about the availability of parts for the ER6N given it was only sold for a year (or two?) in the U.S. While I am not enthralled with the looks of the Versys, and might wouldn't mind a hair more power, the Versys has the ergos I need other than being too tall, which can be fixed. Gotta have those upright bars. Like the relative nakedness of the bike, yet is has the windscreen, with aftermarket improvements readily available. Weight of the bike is reasonable. Can accept Givi hard bags (a must for any bike I buy). Finally, I was a green one outside a bike shop awhile ago. It had an engine guard, attached to which I believe were highway pegs. (And yes, I am familiar with frame sliders, had them on my 650R.) That would be most beneficial for my finicky left leg, so I became further interested in the Versys vs. the Ninja. So there! :silly: snyi/redbike

I don't understand why you wouldn't just get a Ninja 650 or ER6N if you need to lower the suspension on the Versys. They can be had for less money and also have a comfortable riding position. But, whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I am learning that the fit of the bike is more important than most other factors. you can spend a boat load of money trying to make a bike fit you when there is probably a bike that fits right out of the box.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
TWA - Hi, snyi from the EX500 forum. As you might know, I had a Ninja 650, and liked it a lot. The reason I am considering the Versys (and I would have to lower it) as opposed to another Ninja is I grew to hate the plastic body panels on the Ninja. I don't want to go through the hassle of getting a 650R and turning it into a street fighter. As for the ER6N, I do not find them to be less expensive on the used market than the Versys, and certainly much less available in my area. Further, I am concerned about the availability of parts for the ER6N given it was only sold for a year (or two?) in the U.S. While I am not enthralled with the looks of the Versys, and might wouldn't mind a hair more power, the Versys has the ergos I need other than being too tall, which can be fixed. Gotta have those upright bars. Like the relative nakedness of the bike, yet is has the windscreen, with aftermarket improvements readily available. Weight of the bike is reasonable. Can accept Givi hard bags (a must for any bike I buy). Finally, I was a green one outside a bike shop awhile ago. It had an engine guard, attached to which I believe were highway pegs. (And yes, I am familiar with frame sliders, had them on my 650R.) That would be most beneficial for my finicky left leg, so I became further interested in the Versys vs. the Ninja. So there! :silly: snyi/redbike
Sounds like you did your homework. I do have highway pegs on my Versys engine guards. Don't use them very often but it is nice to have them there when I want them. I put 15,000 miles on the Ninja 650 in 4 years, and over 15,000 miles on the Versys in one year. The ergonomics were a major improvement for me.

I think I have finally decided after all these years of riding, that if I could only have one bike it would be a full size adventure touring bike. Can do all things OK, and more comfortable than anything short of a Goldwing.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not looking at the Z750S?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Further, I am concerned about the availability of parts for the ER6N given it was only sold for a year (or two?) in the U.S.
Just an FYI, other than a few body parts everything is the same on the ER6N and the Ninja 650R, so unless you're planning on crashing the headlight cowl or the seat cowl a lot, this is a non issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you cant get both feet on the ground with a custom seat..look for another bike. The versys 650 will go all day at 120/130 kmh and vibration is not a problem. Twins will always give some vibration . Jn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts