RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am about to take the cover off the cams and do the valve inspection..someone please help me out with these questions...

what size deep well socket do i need for the spark plugs? Is it SAE or metric (i am guessing SAE? I couldnt measure it accurately)

is the 'pickup coil cover' the one that is covering the right end of the crankshaft - when sitting on the bike? does it have a paper gasket i will need from the dealer?

can i use a screwdriver in place of a 'holder plate' for the cam tensioner?

how can i make sure my cam timing doesnt get screwed up? zip ties?

can i do all this without draining the oil? i would rather drain the oil afterwards...just because of how i am going so far....

carb sync questions

can i use some sort of container to hold a cup full of gas to do the carb sync? i am thinking of some small container and have a hole in the bottom for the fuel and a small hole in the top for a vent...this might be a pain...any other suggestions?

sorry, i been walking around with the questions for a coulpe weeks and i just blurted them out....heheh

Joe

·
Registered
282 Posts
falcon said:
what size deep well socket do i need for the spark plugs? Is it SAE or metric (i am guessing SAE? I couldnt measure it accurately)

I can't help ya hear it's been so long since I touched the bike but I think it is metric.

is the 'pickup coil cover' the one that is covering the right end of the crankshaft - when sitting on the bike? does it have a paper gasket i will need from the dealer?

Yes it is the cover that is on the right side when sitting on the bike, you need to get a new valve cover gasket and pickup coil cover gasket because more then likely they will both tear. I got lucky and was able to reuse my coil cover gasket but you never know.

can i use a screwdriver in place of a 'holder plate' for the cam tensioner?

No, you need to make the piece to hold it since it locks in at two levels and you would have a hell of a time doing it even if you could.

how can i make sure my cam timing doesnt get screwed up? zip ties?

The zip tie trick works pretty good, and read and reread the manual!

can i do all this without draining the oil? i would rather drain the oil afterwards...just because of how i am going so far....

Yes

carb sync questions

can i use some sort of container to hold a cup full of gas to do the carb sync? i am thinking of some small container and have a hole in the bottom for the fuel and a small hole in the top for a vent...this might be a pain...any other suggestions?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to since they sell containers for this job, you can do it like the article on Jarel's site with propping the gas tank up, or come up with a small container like you said.

Joe

·
Silver Member
479 Posts
Hi, Joe

There is a special wrench for spark plugs in your stock toolkit. It has nice rubber inset to hold the spark plug. If you don't have it, I can measure spark plug for you.

I didn't inspect valves yet, but you definitely don't need to drain oil for this.

Pickup coil cover has a paper gasket, and if you'll remove cover carefully, you'll be able to reuse it.

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
Joe -
I use an 18mm deep well socket for the spark plugs. It's not perfect, but close enough to work. I think the actual size is SAE like you suspected.

The gas tank trick works great for the carb synch, I did it just like in the guide that's on ZR-7.com. Definitely easier than trying to rig up some other container.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Joe:

1. I left my plugs in when I did my valves.

2. Yes, you need to make a holder plate. It will make the job much easier.

3. As far as syncing the carbs, I got two small pieces of hose (maybe 6" each) and a couple of connectors to extend the two hoses on the back left side of my gas tank (behind the petcock). Then I put a towl down on the frame, lay the tank sideways connecting the fuel hose to the petcock and the two extended hoses to the two connections on the bottom of the tank (one marked with a red dot, the other blue). This makes it very easy to hook up the tank without having to zip tie it to the frame. It stays in place very well. I have done my carbs three times now (in only 7000 miles) and I can do everything in less than 1 hour. It runs sooo smooth after I do it!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys thanks so much for the responses! awesome!

I will take a look in the included tool kit for that spark plug tool. I remember seeing it now...

As far as the carb sync goes, I'll do whatever makes the most sense. Using the gas tank will probly work out ok.

Thanks to all of you! I am now ready to proceed :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts