RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my final ride today (its so windy and cold up here riding is almost not enjoyable) and decided to clean her up. I was just getting ready to pour some STA-BIL into the tank when I released the gas cap and gas sprout out everywhere. I have never had this happen before yet even heard of it happening. I wiped it off fine but why would my tank do this?

·
Registered
371 Posts
are u sure it was petrol?
I had this a while back. it was water.
what had happened was the drain/breather tube for it had gotten twisted and so, was blocked.
make sure that you can blow through the black pipe near the kickstand

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are u sure it was petrol?
I had this a while back. it was water.
what had happened was the drain/breather tube for it had gotten twisted and so, was blocked.
make sure that you can blow through the black pipe near the kickstand
Well, when it happened gas rushed out of my cap by alot of it came out of that drain/breather tube. I'll check again to make sure it's not twisted though.

·
Banned
357 Posts
Don't just pour Stay-Bil in the tank and think you are good. You will have to take another short ride to bake sure the Stay-Bil/gas mixture is through the entire fuel system. Or you could just idle the bike for 20 minutes but that is no fun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't just pour Stay-Bil in the tank and think you are good. You will have to take another short ride to bake sure the Stay-Bil/gas mixture is through the entire fuel system. Or you could just idle the bike for 20 minutes but that is no fun.
I actually did take it for a short cruise but all this happened before I poured the STA-BIL in. I filled the tank up and got back home and let it sit for about 2 hours before I came out to work on it.

·
Banned
357 Posts
You will need to put on 5 or 10 miles to get the Sta-Bil where it needs to be. If you are not going to ride the bike for several months and are diciplined enough to NOT to start the bike until you are ready to ride again change the oil and put the battery on a Battery tender or at minium pull the battery and keep it in a warm place.

If you are like some and think you are doing good by starting the bike every now and then over the winter DO NOT change your oil before putting the bike up for the winter. It will just be a waste of time as the oil will get contaminated with cumbustion acids. By only ideling the bike it will never reach a temperature high enough to burnoff most of the contaminates.

Also if the bike is parked on concrete put some thin pieces of plywood under the tires. Or better yet but stands and get the tiresoff the ground.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will need to put on 5 or 10 miles to get the Sta-Bil where it needs to be.
Do you really have to ride it around that much to get the Sta-Bil into the engine? I figured 3 or 4 mintues around the block would suffice....

·
Banned
357 Posts
Do you really have to ride it around that much to get the Sta-Bil into the engine? I figured 3 or 4 mintues around the block would suffice....
I guess you will find out in the spring if 3 or 4 minutes was enough!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Maybe start it and let it run for about 5 mins. I put mine up for the Winter this weekend too. About an hour ride and I was done. Sta-Bil went in and the tender is on. Snowed yesterday and today. March will be here in a while.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe start it and let it run for about 5 mins. I put mine up for the Winter this weekend too. About an hour ride and I was done. Sta-Bil went in and the tender is on. Snowed yesterday and today. March will be here in a while.
How long did you run it after you put the Sta-Bil in? It hasn't snowed here in Ohio yet but it's pretty miserable riding in strong winds and cold weather. I feel like the kid from "the Christmas story" when I ride in this weather lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a new rider and live in Texas, but this is great info for winter prep. It only gets REALLY cold here for maybe 3 days, and possibly will snow for 1 of those days. Still, great info. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Must be nice to live in Texas, or any area where you can ride almost all year. Oh, how I loathe winter!

·
Registered
250 Posts
How long did you run it after you put the Sta-Bil in? It hasn't snowed here in Ohio yet but it's pretty miserable riding in strong winds and cold weather. I feel like the kid from "the Christmas story" when I ride in this weather lol
I started it for about 15 mins. and then rode it around the block a few times. I did the same thing last year and it started right up in March.

·
Registered
230 Posts
aw you poor cold hearted yanks... my darling carries me year round....

·
Registered
749 Posts
Over the summer I was laughing at a buddy installing heated grips and power for a vest and gloves on his sport bike. Now I am bit jealous. I think I will just wait for warm weather with my money for fast parts.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sadly, my bike is resting for the winter...just got the oil changed and I'll pull the battery tomorrow after work.

Thinking about oil, has anyone heard anything good or bad about NAPA filters??? thats all I could find at the last min.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts