RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new Bandit and hitting the forums to find and share info. I'm still waiting for my bike to be released from the dealership, due to the recent big bike recall. In the meantime, I just wanted to stop by and say hello.

Thinking about buying a new Bandit? Suzuki currently has a $1000 manufacture instant rebate for their 08 and 09 models. I was able to haggle for a price below the MSRP, and the addition of the discount was a big savings.

I've spent almost two months researching motorcycles and discovering my riding style. I enjoy long journeys, but I also wanted something sporty. I initially narrowed it down to the Yamaha FZ1 and the Bandit 1250.

The FZ1 was very intriguing, but I decided it was a little too sporty for my taste. The Yamaha has a less upright rider position than the Bandit, making long journeys uncomfortable. More importantly, the FZ1 engine is a 998cc with a higher compression ratio than the Bandit. This might enable the bike to go faster than the Bandit, but it also has to work harder on the open road. In contrast, the Bandit 1250 is a 1255cc big(ger) bore engine that should be able to effortlessly cruise 80 mph for hundreds of miles. Even though both bikes are fuel-injected and liquid-cooled, the bike that exerts less energy should require less maintenance and attention. Correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption.

The Bandit might not be as technologically savvy as its BMW counterpart, but I don't need all the superfluous quality parts. All I really require is that the performance of the engine and gearing is above average. As you might know, the Suzuki gearbox is a masterpiece of engineering, and I'm sure the engine will last me many tens of thousands of miles, even if I decide to act a little sporty on the Bandit.

A final note on the big bore Bandit engine what it slightly lacks in horsepower and top speed, it more than makes up for with its awesome torque! It's low-end grunt is one of this bike's main features. How often will you need to hit 130mph+, especially when touring? What I want is power in the low to mid range that has enough power to move me and my luggage around like it was paperweight. The FZ1's torque is peaked at 78 lbs/ft @ 8000 rpm, while the Bandit is peaked at 80 lbs/ft @ 3700 rpm, which is phenomenal for a well-priced super standard.

If this is not enogh power for you, then check out the upgrades for the Bandit at Holeshot.com. I believe the Phase I upgrade will increase the HP to 135 and torque to 95. There are videos on YouTube with this upgrade showing the Bandit topping out at 156 mph. With its engine at that speed, I'm sure it was still a breeze.

On a final note about my research into the Bandit, new Suzuki customers will eventually realize that there are no 2010 models of the Bandit in the US, because Suzuki didn't release any big bikes in the US in 2010. The last bike branded "Bandit" ended in 2009. The new 2011 GSX1250FA is the continuation of the Bandit, but it's missing some of the characteristics that made the Bandit unique. Suzuki did the same thing to the Katana and now calls it the GSX650F. Not sure why Suzuki is dropping the names and changing the class of their bikes, but I have a conspiratorial theory of sorts.

The new "Bandit" is now categorized as a Sportsbike, which means higher insurance premiums. You may notice that the Standard class is becoming obsolete, even though the bikes are the same. Is the motorcycle manufacturers and insurance companies in cahoots??? :2cents: The Bandit and Katana are definitely no crotch rockets. A GSX-R600 is an intro Sportsbike that can go 30+ mph faster than the top speed of the Bandit, and that's with an engine that's half its size. Compared to the gixxers, the Bandit is not a track bike, so why call it a Sportsbike? I mean, why lump the two big bore engines of the Bandit and the Hayabusa in the same class, when in reality they're different bikes? Hmmm.

That's enough of my crazy rant. I can't wait to share pics of my new Bandit, which should be anytime within the next two weeks. Until then, ride safe, and please share any comments you might have on this post. I will continue to share my thoughts and knowledge.

·
Registered
251 Posts
QUOTE: Even though both bikes are fuel-injected and liquid-cooled, the bike that exerts less energy should require less maintenance and attention. Correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption.

It depends more on how you use/abuse/maintain your bike. Nearly all of today's bikes are built well and it boils down to the owners use and care of the machine. You probably won't have any issue with the Bandit as they are pretty bulletproof. Hope you enjoy yours. Jim

·
Registered
390 Posts
For your riding, torque is what you want, not HP. The FZ1 still has the 5-valve/piston head which makes a lot of HP in the stratosfere approaching 10,000 rpms, where most mortals could not use it. I wouln't want to even think checking clearance on 20 valves.

The reason Suzuki is making the Bandit more sport is because 'naked standars' don't sell in the US unfortunately. I believe the market is only about 6%, with 70 % cruisers and the rest is for 'sport' bikes and gigantic tourers. This is the opposite of the rest of the world including Japan, and Europe, where largest market is 'naked' and tiny portion for the 'Sport'. They don't care for cruisers or elephant tourers.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
That's a bunch of justification for a really simple, honest motorcycle! I do have a question about this "big bike recall". And don't worry, I'd trust the reliability of this machine way more than any BMW. ,BK

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,136 Posts
The B1250 was on my short list but I ended up buying a Triumph Tiger 1050. I just struck me more and although I've only got 450 miles on it so far I love it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a bunch of justification for a really simple, honest motorcycle! I do have a question about this "big bike recall". And don't worry, I'd trust the reliability of this machine way more than any BMW. ,BK
The recall is due to a problem in the electrical system. Worst case scenario, if the module overheats, it makes it difficult for the bike to start up. I figure Suzuki thought it was a minor problem, until it was reported by the NHTSA. 73,000+ units were recalled. You can read a little bit more here.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The recall is due to a problem in the electrical system. Worst case scenario, if the module overheats, it makes it difficult for the bike to start up. I figure Suzuki thought it was a minor problem, until it was reported by the NHTSA. 73,000+ units were recalled. You can read a little bit more here.
I did a search and saw some hits on foreign Bandit sites. Strange that US bikes haven't been mentioned, but that might soon. With mine being an '07, it should be fine. I wonder if there's a way that you can ID this "adhesion" issue before taking it in? ,BK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just want to say hi. I purchased a 2010 GSX1250 SEA ABS a week ago. It's still in the crate and will stay there until the ice and snow on the roads disappear. I'm in Edmonton, Alberta. Been licensed since '83. Rode for a few years then gave it up to pay for raising kids. Got back into riding 5 years ago (2006). This bike is the 5th one purchased in that time (2000 BMW R1100RT, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, 2003 BMW R1200CL, 2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50T and now the new Bandit). Test rode this model last August without the luggage and it excited me so much, I couldn't stand up straight. I'm really looking forward to an excessive number of miles of use. When the roads are safe, I commute by motorcycle everyday.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
New Bike

I bought a new 09 bandit I started the bike it sound good real smooth I took for a 8 mile run, came home went in for supper came out to ride again and when I crank the bike it has a miss you can feel it and you can see it on the tack when it's idling.
Any ideas? I am thinking a spark plug may not have been tight from the factory; I am going to check that over the weekend.

Could that recall have anything to do with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts