RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just bought a nice new 2019 N1K. We decided to sport for the factory Akrapovic exhaust for the extra $1250. I get the parts home to find that the DB Killer isn't removable. I contacted my dealership and they won't take the parts back because I had started installing them. I went ahead and finished installing to compare for sound. I was very disappointed, it sounded the same to me... So I did what any angry irrational person in my situation would do...I started drilling holes in them. For those across the pond who have had to deal with the Euro 5 regs, I salute you. Rather than drill out the rivets to get to the DB Killer bolt I just chose to drill a hole big enough to remove the retainer screw. 12mm hole as seen in the pictures. I'm not sure on what to plug the hole with right now. I bit of black duct tape will do for the moment.
20190516_234103_resized.jpg 20190516_234106_resized.jpg 20190516_234522_resized.jpg 20190516_232128_resized.jpg 20190516_220554_resized.jpg

·
Registered
196 Posts
My brother in law got a Yoshi for his VStrom a couple years back it came with a hole in it with a rubber plug through the carbon fibre, pretty much like what you have now. It is pita but pull the rubber plug and you had access to the screw <--(soldered in) for db killer removal, I still had to drill the screw out but I was able to just drill the head off and get the db killer out, then by removing the remainder of the screw had it back to being removable like it should have been to begin with. They really don't want you taking that db killer out do they, not sure where to find them but rubber or plastic plugs will live in a carbon fibre can (I put a short as possible screw back in the hole with a nut on it <- screw head inside with a star washer and the nut with a bit of grease to get it to stay put in the socket put on through the hole in the carbon, to block the screw hole when killer not installed so there was more or less a straight path screw head obstructed to the outlet) You're only supposed to have them out for track use here, taking db killers out on the road can get you a ticket so short shifting for quietness is recommended ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts