RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone out there has thought about making a progressive throttle linkage or bell crank for our bikes. Everyone seems to complain about off-idle hesitation, soft forks, etc. I hardly notice it. But the ONE thing that I really, really, really don't like about the bike is how jerky the throttle response is from a closed throttle to partially open.

The power surge is a sudden jolt and is very hard to be smooth when you need it most (like exiting a turn while leaned over). I know the "slack" in the geartrain and the looseness of the chain have an effect, but I was thinking a different cam-profiled bellcrank on the carb bank for the throttle would be a help. Triumph did this to mask there suddenn-jolt EFI system on the TT 600. The first part of the throttle (from completely closed to 1/4 or 1/5 open) would require more twist of the grip, thus smoothing out how power is rolled on.

I'm going to look into what can be done next time I have the tank off. Hmmm.... :rolleyes:

Emrah

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
A lower gear and higher rpms will usually make it not so noticeable. If I feel I'm a little low in r's and don't want to drop a gear I sometimes slip the clutch a little.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Emrah,

Make sure you don't have a lot of throttle cable play. What I mean is, you should NOT be able to turn the throttle a little bit without the engine raising RPM. I adjusted mine so there is no play.

Being able to apply the throttle very smoothly out of a corner is the trick. So with a properly adjusted throttle cable it will help.

Also go into the corner a little slower and start applying the throttle before the apex.

Andy

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Jarel,

I find it works better for me. I didn't check the manual, nor did I get the information from anywhere else.

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts