RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
UPDATE #5

Hey guys, it's been a while.. So i finally got a chance to come back to my garage. I have tried installing the fuel filter and it just doesnt fit lol 馃槄 so I ended up using the factory filter which goes inside.
Anyways, i started the bike it was running for a while.. But once i tried again it was not starting anymore. I could hear it is kinda making explosions but nothing happens. I took out the plugs and they were covered with fuel. I think i f..d up and probably there's fuel in my engine.. Anyways, my goal was to make it running so i could ride to mechanic and see if he could diagnose what's wrong with the engine, but I will ask him to come with a trailer to collect it..

That's that. If anyone could suggest how to clean the fuel of engine without opening it, i would greatly appreciate 馃ゲ

Registered
Are you saying the carbs overflowed gas into the engine? Easy to find out.
First off, the oil level in the sight glass will be over the limit even on the side stand. If you remove the oil fill plug, take a whiff and there's no mistaking the gas smell coming out.
Simply change the oil, put oil in the cylinders as they've been scrubbed clean from the gas. Crank it over a bunch with a rag over the spark plug holes because it's going to spew out.
Then change the oil again.
Make sure you tell your mechanic to check valve clearance.

I think to fit a fuel filter you must first rotate the tee between carbs 2 and 3 downwards so that the fuel hose comes around the bottom of the carbs thus making more room for a filter.

Registered
Yes as Zed7 said if you have fuel in the oil simply drain it all out and replace. You may need to repeat the oil change another time, so if you are doing it twice just use any inexpensive oil the first time as you are just going to drain it right out anyway.

It does mean there's an issue in the carb with a bowl float and or your petcock that let the fuel run so it filled the engine. If you left the petcock on PRIme, that's the start of the problem as it let's fuel flow even when the bike is not running.

Be very careful with the cranking the engine over with a rag over the plug holes. If you have a spark from the plug wires you'll likely have yourself a fire.

Reactions: dehood and Zed7

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Guys, thank you so much for these tips!!! I appreciate your help! And specially with the fuel filter haha. I will add the filter later on, but now i already find a very good mechanic who is willing to take a look at the bike and do a check up to see if the bike is worth putting money into. If i get a greenlight from him, i will ask him to rebuild the engine (if needed) and then i will start the electrical stuff.

Anyway, i will keep you guys updated for the further progress.

Registered
You don't need to rebuild the engine because of gas in the oil if it was not ridden under extreme conditions for a long time. It is more common than you think.
How many miles on your 7?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
You don't need to rebuild the engine because of gas in the oil if it was not ridden under extreme conditions for a long time. It is more common than you think.
How many miles on your 7?
I will rebuild the engine if needed. I need an expert to take a look. The bike has 68k miles. I am 3rd owner, looks like other owners never took a good care of the bike. I am very angry and sad.

Registered
I see. Have a good mechanic take a look at it. Check the valves and do a compression test. These engines are pretty tough.
If you do need a new engine it usually cheaper to buy a good used one than to have one rebuilt by a pro. But I'm betting a low mile engine are tough to come by.
Then there's always the option of buying a new bike either for parts or to ride keeping your bike for parts. Make one good bike out of two.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts