RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to reinstalling the fairing side panels this past weekend, I decided to take a closer look at the tabs that people complain about breaking during assembly / disassembly. Having a little bit of experience with plastic injection dies, I was curious how these dies were "split" and it was evident that there are some areas around the tabs and the front area of the fairing that aren't as good as they could be. Basically, there is excess flashing around the tabs and slots that make the fairing hang up and not slide together nicely. That and some paint overspray keeps things from going together and coming apart smoothly. So, armed with a small needle file, I very lightly deburred all the tabs and slots and then applied a tiny bit of silicone spray to the tabs. Now the plastics slide togther much more smoothly with much less force. Only takes a few minutes to do and you only have to do it once.

·
Registered
571 Posts
This is a good idea. Will try this the next time I have the fairings removed.

However the tabs could be a little more robust.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Nice, every time I touch mine, I see that Indian watching me with a tear in his eye.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
This is a good idea. Will try this the next time I have the fairings removed.

However the tabs could be a little more robust.
A little? Horrible design.

·
Registered
443 Posts
x2 The lack of quality fasteners/attachments points was one of the few complaints I had about my N1K. I'm very careful when I work on my vehicles, but I saw those tabs laying on my garage floor on more than one occasion as I frequently had the fairings off for mods, paint, maintenance, etc...

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
What section are the tabs attached to? I though about replacing my broken one, but things do stick together just fine without it, so maybe not?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Good idea! I use a dab of silicone grease, but had not thought of deburring.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Ditto to BobN54. First time I took it apart (VERY CAREFULLY after reading this forum) I sprayed the slots and tabs with silicon lube. No broken tabs yet. (Knocking on wood)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Adding your tip to my how-to. Thanks.
I really appreciate your how to. I read it every time I remove the fairings to remind myself where those fasteners are. Knowing where they are is half the battle to avoid breaking them (knocking on wood).

Reactions: rowdyred94

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Does anyone have a repair idea for broken ones?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
That's a tough situation. Typical epoxies won't grab. You'd need a plasti-weld type product, and you'd need to bolster the thin structure in a way that doesn't degrade fitment. I'd probably look into buying just the matte black portion of the fairing from a salvage seller. IIRC, that part detaches with plastic rivets, too.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
A plastic welder is the best way. they are not super expensive but require some talent to use. If done right it will be as good as new.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
J-B Weld works. I have used it on a couple of broken tabs, although it won't work for just any tab due to space restrictions. The spray silicone works only if you take your fairings off on a regular basis - if you only take them off from time to time the spray will have dried up and washed off. However, de-burring the tabs is a great idea that I have not done yet. I imagine one could use a dremel tool (carefully) to polish them and smooth them up.The easier it will 'slide' off the tabs the less chance of breakage. And I agree with all - these tabs are as cheap as they can get. Seems like they just break by looking at them!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I imagine one could use a dremel tool (carefully) to polish them and smooth them up.
Just be real careful. I was surprised at how little effort it took to remove material with an old needle file. This plastic is pretty soft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chrispy, Thanks for a great tip. Hope you don't mind. I posted a link to your article on the UK Z1000sx Forum. Hopefully save a few of us from busting these tabs.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The spray silicone works only if you take your fairings off on a regular basis - if you only take them off from time to time the spray will have dried up and washed off.
I use a little dab of silicone grease, it stays around. RapidFix works very well for repairing broken plastics tabs; I've used it many times on cars; (knock on wood) have not needed to repair one on the N1K so far.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts