RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I changed out my intake system from a hypercharger to the spike intake kit (similar to forcewinder). I was previously running the hypercharger along with sideburner exhaust and a powercommander. With the new intake, I'm idoling at about 1400 RPM's which is much higher than my previous setup and I dont want to do any damage by riding it until it's fixed. Im really unfamiliar with adjustments on the powercommander and was hoping that this could be a simple fix vs. having to re-map it (with my luck I'm sure it's prob not). Does anyone that may have more of an understanding of this system have any advice or direction that they could give me to reduce the high idol and make the correct adjustments?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Idle doesn't really have anything to do with the PC3 unless you want to adjust the idle mixture at a specific rpm.

Warm the bike up fully. Then find the idle adjustment knob next to the right air cleaner cover. Twist it counterclockwise until it goes to where you want. The manual states 950 +/-50rpm if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Idle doesn't really have anything to do with the PC3 unless you want to adjust the idle mixture at a specific rpm.

Warm the bike up fully. Then find the idle adjustment knob next to the right air cleaner cover. Twist it counterclockwise until it goes to where you want. The manual states 950 +/-50rpm if I recall correctly.
Will do...thanks for the help. I purchased the bike with the powercommander and since that system is new to me, I assumed that was the issue.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Last week I changed out my intake system from a hypercharger to the spike intake kit (similar to forcewinder). I was previously running the hypercharger along with sideburner exhaust and a powercommander. With the new intake, I'm idoling at about 1400 RPM's which is much higher than my previous setup and I dont want to do any damage by riding it until it's fixed. Im really unfamiliar with adjustments on the powercommander and was hoping that this could be a simple fix vs. having to re-map it (with my luck I'm sure it's prob not). Does anyone that may have more of an understanding of this system have any advice or direction that they could give me to reduce the high idol and make the correct adjustments?
Check for a vacuum leak. You might have left a vacuum hose disconnected when you changed out the intake.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I just put a kuryakn hypercharger pro series intake on my bike. It performs well with it and the new cobra slash cut delux eshausts and makes awesome music through those pipes. My personal tech ran a map for just K&N with cobra 2into 2 pipes, and the bike picked up more low -end torque. The idle actually lowered itself a little untilthe bike gets to full operating temperature. And....there are two very important vacuum hoses attached to the hyper intake. When you mounted your new intake, you may as mentioned above developed a vacuum leak to increase your idle. You do not want that. Try taking the hoses that were connected to you charger and pinching them off. That may lower your idle and solve the potential leak problem as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep....that was the problem...vacuum hose was left unplugged. Thanks for the help guys!

*note to self - don't be a dipsh*t and leave a vacuum hose unplugged.

·
Registered
376 Posts
*note to self - don't be a dipsh*t and leave a vacuum hose unplugged.
Awesome! I had the same problem a few months back. :killingme

1 - 7 of 7 Posts