RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2014 specific Power Commander PCV is now available but not yet posted on Dynojet's website. You have to call Dynojet to order it, part number: 17-055 My dyno shop ordered one for me. It will be installed tomorrow along with a set of 2013 Akrapovic headers(Akra slip on's already on), BMC standard air filter, Ivan's air injector block off kit, and the air box mod either now or later when the ECU reflash becomes available. We will use a Dynojet map and/or some general tuning if necessary to keep the bike running well and the afr's safe until a full tune is done after the ECU reflash.

Having studied the schematics and part numbers for the Akra 2013 vs 2014 headers, the only different part number is for the rear link pipe which now has the added frame mounting tab. The shop that is doing my work has a 2013 Ninja 1000 there with the 2013 Akra headers and the mounting seems very strong and secure, and the bike's owner, another mechanic in the shop, has had no issues with it at all after thousands of miles. Not sure why Akrapovic added the mounting tab. I wonder if the added mounting tab adds or reduces vibration through the frame at high rpm? Since all the other part numbers match up, the newer rear link pipe could be installed at a later date if necessary but the need is not likely. There are no other changes to the header as a result of the 2014's different cams, air intake, etc. That was my major concern.

Mort

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
Nice work, and its going to help someone, sometime. In my mind, not havign that mounting strap coudl be better. More room for the oxygen sensor in the auto tune kit.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
The 2014 specific Power Commander PCV is now available but not yet posted on Dynojet's website. You have to call Dynojet to order it, part number: 17-055 My dyno shop ordered one for me. It will be installed tomorrow along with a set of 2013 Akrapovic headers(Akra slip on's already on), BMC standard air filter, Ivan's air injector block off kit, and the air box mod either now or later when the ECU reflash becomes available. We will use a Dynojet map and/or some general tuning if necessary to keep the bike running well and the afr's safe until a full tune is done after the ECU reflash.

Having studied the schematics and part numbers for the Akra 2013 vs 2014 headers, the only different part number is for the rear link pipe which now has the added frame mounting tab. The shop that is doing my work has a 2013 Ninja 1000 there with the 2013 Akra headers and the mounting seems very strong and secure, and the bike's owner, another mechanic in the shop, has had no issues with it at all after thousands of miles. Not sure why Akrapovic added the mounting tab. I wonder if the added mounting tab adds or reduces vibration through the frame at high rpm? Since all the other part numbers match up, the newer rear link pipe could be installed at a later date if necessary but the need is not likely. There are no other changes to the header as a result of the 2014's different cams, air intake, etc. That was my major concern.

Mort
Sweet. Good info Mort.

·
Registered
532 Posts
are you gonna post your before and after dyno runs?

i feel like a kid in a candy store.....except I'm watching you eat all the candy.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are you gonna post your before and after dyno runs?

i feel like a kid in a candy store.....except I'm watching you eat all the candy.
Hi Calandris- LOL, understand about the candy. It is putting a bit of stress on the budget but I have never been patient with my motorcycle mods.
We all know what the completely stock dyno runs look like and the Akrapovic slip on's I currently have on don't change that much. So the dyno runs will be one with the new header and air filter installed and the stock tune. Then another run after a bit of tuning though I doubt we will invest much time in tuning other than to make sure the afr's are safe and the bike runs decent. I am still undecided as to wether I want to mod the air box on a 2014 and I certainly welcome opinions from those of you with more experience on this particular bike. I have seen a few air box mods that help and others that are disatrous on different types of bikes so I want to be cautious. I am just uncertain as to wether it is worth the bother with the changed 2014 intake. Also, I am more interested in mid range than top end so I don't want to make that mistake either. Thanks in advance for any advice any of you can offer before tomorrow morning. Mort

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Hi Calandris- LOL, understand about the candy. It is putting a bit of stress on the budget but I have never been patient with my motorcycle mods.
We all know what the completely stock dyno runs look like and the Akrapovic slip on's I currently have on don't change that much. So the dyno runs will be one with the new header and air filter installed and the stock tune. Then another run after a bit of tuning though I doubt we will invest much time in tuning other than to make sure the afr's are safe and the bike runs decent. I am still undecided as to wether I want to mod the air box on a 2014 and I certainly welcome opinions from those of you with more experience on this particular bike. I have seen a few air box mods that help and others that are disatrous on different types of bikes so I want to be cautious. I am just uncertain as to wether it is worth the bother with the changed 2014 intake. Also, I am more interested in mid range than top end so I don't want to make that mistake either. Thanks in advance for any advice any of you can offer before tomorrow morning. Mort
Mort,

The airbox mod is only good for a couple of hp and adds intake noise which some like and some don't. I would leave your airbox stock, particularly if you're not worried about peak hp.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hmmmmm...........I had planned to get the Arrow head pipes to run with my stock cans. I was leaning towards the Arrow for the mounting tab, thinking I could test it having it bolted or not to see if one way was better than the other (and simply cut it off it it added vibes). Now I have the option of 2014 Akro or Arrow. It's interesting that Akro decided to added the mount like Arrow.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmmm...........I had planned to get the Arrow head pipes to run with my stock cans. I was leaning towards the Arrow for the mounting tab, thinking I could test it having it bolted or not to see if one way was better than the other (and simply cut it off it it added vibes). Now I have the option of 2014 Akro or Arrow. It's interesting that Akro decided to added the mount like Arrow.
My best guess is that there is less vibration without the tab as the entire back end of the exhaust is then mounted through the rubber bushings that the muffler brackets mount to. I laid down on the ground next to the shop mechanics 2013 Ninja with the 2013 Akra header with no rear link pipe tab and grabbed hold of the rear link pipe and found it to be mounted in a very solid and secure fashion. I do suggest checking the header clamp nuts on the engine once in a while to make sure they stay properly torqued in the absence of that rear tab but that is an easy task and there is clear access to those nuts without removing the fairings. Obviously the rear tab was an absolute necessity with the stock exhaust due to the weight of the catalytic converter and muffler box but the stainless Akrapovic is pretty light. Mort

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Initial Dyno runs with Akrapovice header/slip on's and stock tune

Installed the 2013 version Akrapovic header system on my 2014 Ninja 1000 ABS. No install problems at all. It fit up perfectly and is very secure. I am still not sure what the benefit of the extra frame mounting tab is on the 2014 version header. The dyno graph below is pretty much identical to what akrapovic posts on it's website so it is good to confirm again that my dyno shop gives relatively accurate readings with SAE correction. Of course the STD correction factor that I did not print out showed a few more HP and Ft lbs of torque but I like to stay with SAE for comparative purposes. The bike is completely stock except for the change in the exhaust and the runs were done with the db killers installed which is the perfect noise level for me so they will be staying in for the final tuning process in the near future. Nice deep menacing growl and not obnoxious, at least for my personal taste. I have Ivan's air block off kit, a 2014 version PCV, and a BMC standard air filter on hand for installation and final full custom tune when the reflash becomes available. I am still on the fence regarding an airbox mod to a 2014 airbox, kind of doubt I will do it but will see what my dyno tuner says when he opens the box up and compares it to the 2013 version he did in the past. On the ride home I was shocked to see how much more powerful the bike felt by just changing the header. The sound was exhilarating. I could feel the louder exhaust a bit through the pegs and bars but not as annoying vibration, rather a nice visceral feel that added character to the bike. Front end comes up easier, roll on acceleration on the highway dramatically improved, much more than what you can see on the dyno graph, all with the stock tune with AFR's still not too bad considering a complete change to a racing exhaust. The blue graph is stock with Akra slip on's with db killer in. The red graph is also stock plus Akra header.
Question for those of you with more experience: Is it worthwhile to extend the rev limit when reflashing the ECU for street riding? I doubt I will ever need to rev that high. Any risk to the longevity of the engine with the higher rev limit? Thanks, Mort

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Installed the 2013 version Akrapovic header system on my 2014 Ninja 1000 ABS. No install problems at all. It fit up perfectly and is very secure. I am still not sure what the benefit of the extra frame mounting tab is on the 2014 version header. The dyno graph below is pretty much identical to what akrapovic posts on it's website so it is good to confirm again that my dyno shop gives relatively accurate readings with SAE correction. Of course the STD correction factor that I did not print out showed a few more HP and Ft lbs of torque but I like to stay with SAE for comparative purposes. The bike is completely stock except for the change in the exhaust and the runs were done with the db killers installed which is the perfect noise level for me so they will be staying in for the final tuning process in the near future. Nice deep menacing growl and not obnoxious, at least for my personal taste. I have Ivan's air block off kit, a 2014 version PCV, and a BMC standard air filter on hand for installation and final full custom tune when the reflash becomes available. I am still on the fence regarding an airbox mod to a 2014 airbox, kind of doubt I will do it but will see what my dyno tuner says when he opens the box up and compares it to the 2013 version he did in the past. On the ride home I was shocked to see how much more powerful the bike felt by just changing the header. The sound was exhilarating. I could feel the louder exhaust a bit through the pegs and bars but not as annoying vibration, rather a nice visceral feel that added character to the bike. Front end comes up easier, roll on acceleration on the highway dramatically improved, much more than what you can see on the dyno graph, all with the stock tune with AFR's still not too bad considering a complete change to a racing exhaust.
Question for those of you with more experience: Is it worthwhile to extend the rev limit when reflashing the ECU for street riding? I doubt I will ever need to rev that high. Any risk to the longevity of the engine with the higher rev limit? Thanks, Mort

I can't wait to see your response after a reflash and proper map..... :glassesti

·
Registered
532 Posts
nice, a 9 hp gain. I think your biggest bang will be with the ECU.

I have hit the rev limiter a few times on some spirited riding, a slightly higher one would be nice. (i really need an audio cue in my sena like a shift light...but a shift beep)

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
Mort, I have no idea what Ivan does with the rev limiter, but yes...you want whatever he does to it.

I dotn know how to explain it, but its less harsh. You dont get that feeling of hitting a brick wall. As far as a higher limit, I dont know what mines set at. My eyes are not great and I cannot see the displays, clearly, without reading glasses.

As far as length of motor life? Without different cams, I'd wonder if you wanted to rev much higher thna stock? I dont suspect a lot would be gained. I'd just as soon let someoen else try it But for sure see if your tuner has experience with rev limiters.

The mention of vibration and that extra bracket makes sense.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Mort. I personally would like a higher RPM limit being that the bike pulls pretty hard right into the limiter. Higher rpm should also give more top speed as well. I hope Ivan decides to work on the 2014 ECU sooner than later.
Thanks again for all your work and sharing with us.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Mort. I personally would like a higher RPM limit being that the bike pulls pretty hard right into the limiter. Higher rpm should also give more top speed as well. I hope Ivan decides to work on the 2014 ECU sooner than later.
Thanks again for all your work and sharing with us.
Your welcome. Thanks to all forum members who have helped me with input as well. Mort

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Dyno Graph PCV Tune with full Akrapovic and BMC Air filter, no flash yet

Today I took the bike to my local dyno tuning shop and had the new 2014 version PCV, BMC air filter, and Ivan's air block kit installed. Then the bike was tuned for air fuel ratio only on the dyno. The ECU reflash is not available yet so this is an interim tune. Attached are the dyno graphs for your review. I had it printed with the STD correction factor so that you could compare it to others with with STD correction factor including the graph's on Ivan's website. All the graph lines are with the stock ECU so no changes yet to ignition timing, rev limit, or opening/closing of secondary throttle plates. The bike has a 2013 Akrapovic header, 2014 Akrapovic slip on's with db killers inserted, a standard BMC air filter, and Ivan's air injection block off kit. The green line on the graph show's the final results of today's tune along with the above noted components. The red graph is with only the full Akrapovic, stock air filter, and stock tune. The blue graph is with only the Akra slip on's, stock header, stock air filter, and stock tune. I posted a separate torque comparison as well for ease of comparison. I am quite pleased with the result. Picked up a considerable amount of low end torque and torque across the rpm range. In case you can't read it on the graph, final peak horsepower is 145.83 HP and peak torque is 85.06 ft lbs.. The throttle response is now instant and crisp any time at any rpm. A substantial improvement in driveability, feels flawless. Just a very rare pop from the exhaust, not an issue at all, much better with Ivan's kit. The bike wheelies easily in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, even a bit in 4th just off the throttle. Roll-on acceleration on the highway from 70 mph on is fantastic and a real rush. Screams to redline crazy fast. Have not tried it with traction control off, just with full power mode and traction control on #1. The improvement in acceleration from any rpm or any partial throttle position is not fully depicted on the dyno graph. On the road it is dramatically better. The green graph looks pretty close though just slightly below the STD corrected graph on Ivan's website but I am not at all suggesting that my bike runs as fast as one with his re-flash and full kit and dynos do vary form one to another plus or minus. Keep in mind, when reviewing these graphs, that the 2014 has different cams, oval throttle bodies and some air box changes. I will add another post with photos of the airbox and throttle bodies. No airbox mod was done. All attached graphs are with the stock 2014 air box. As I noted above, the dyno graph's don't tell the whole story. My dyno guy is certain that my graph and on the road performance will increase a good bit more once the bike is re-tuned following a re-flash to remove the limits on ignition timing, secondary throttle plate opening, etc. Honestly, I could be happy with it just the way it is but I know myself and I won't be able to lay off the reflash when it is available. I will post comparative dyno graphs following the ECU reflash and retune. In the meantime, I am very happy with the result and can now be a bit more patient waiting for the reflash to become available.
Mort

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Mort, I see in the graphs the power cuts off at 10.5K rpm. Did you run into the rev limiter or did you chop it short? Great info an look forward to the next installment!

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
Mort, it will be interesting to see how it is after break in. I dont think you have many miles on it yet? My 2012 was a different machine at 4000 than when it was brand new. No idea if power went up, but it was a lot smoother.

I'll be ton his chart, the ecu shut down the fun at 10,500. In stokc form, my 2012 did the same thing.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Today I took the bike to my local dyno tuning shop and had the new 2014 version PCV, BMC air filter, and Ivan's air block kit installed. Then the bike was tuned for air fuel ratio only on the dyno. The ECU reflash is not available yet so this is an interim tune. Attached are the dyno graphs for your review. I had it printed with the STD correction factor so that you could compare it to others with with STD correction factor including the graph's on Ivan's website. All the graph lines are with the stock ECU so no changes yet to ignition timing, rev limit, or opening/closing of secondary throttle plates. The bike has a 2013 Akrapovic header, 2014 Akrapovic slip on's with db killers inserted, a standard BMC air filter, and Ivan's air injection block off kit. The green line on the graph show's the final results of today's tune along with the above noted components. The red graph is with only the full Akrapovic, stock air filter, and stock tune. The blue graph is with only the Akra slip on's, stock header, stock air filter, and stock tune. I posted a separate torque comparison as well for ease of comparison. I am quite pleased with the result. Picked up a considerable amount of low end torque and torque across the rpm range. In case you can't read it on the graph, final peak horsepower is 145.83 HP and peak torque is 85.06 ft lbs.. The throttle response is now instant and crisp any time at any rpm. A substantial improvement in driveability, feels flawless. Just a very rare pop from the exhaust, not an issue at all, much better with Ivan's kit. The bike wheelies easily in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, even a bit in 4th just off the throttle. Roll-on acceleration on the highway from 70 mph on is fantastic and a real rush. Screams to redline crazy fast. Have not tried it with traction control off, just with full power mode and traction control on #1. The improvement in acceleration from any rpm or any partial throttle position is not fully depicted on the dyno graph. On the road it is dramatically better. The green graph looks pretty close though just slightly below the STD corrected graph on Ivan's website but I am not at all suggesting that my bike runs as fast as one with his re-flash and full kit and dynos do vary form one to another plus or minus. Keep in mind, when reviewing these graphs, that the 2014 has different cams, oval throttle bodies and some air box changes. I will add another post with photos of the airbox and throttle bodies. No airbox mod was done. All attached graphs are with the stock 2014 air box. As I noted above, the dyno graph's don't tell the whole story. My dyno guy is certain that my graph and on the road performance will increase a good bit more once the bike is re-tuned following a re-flash to remove the limits on ignition timing, secondary throttle plate opening, etc. Honestly, I could be happy with it just the way it is but I know myself and I won't be able to lay off the reflash when it is available. I will post comparative dyno graphs following the ECU reflash and retune. In the meantime, I am very happy with the result and can now be a bit more patient waiting for the reflash to become available.
Mort
Welcome to the real party in the back! :)

I'm still happy with mine after almost 4 full years and that's an amazing thing for me!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts