RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the power commander makes a big difference in making the Z's power more linear and smooth especially in the lower rpm. I've just been noticing that my Z likes to bite a little bit in first gear when the throttle engages. I had a similar issue with the ZRX (although highly exaggerated in comparison) but that was because it was not properly tuned.

Regardless if a power commander will help I'll be needing to pick one up sooner or later because I'd like to own a K&N air filter in the future. Just wondering if anyone who has a power commander can confirm a difference in power delivery at low rpms?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, you'll notice a nice difference with the map off of their site. I just had mine dyno tuned and it is electric smooth.

Just wondering if the power commander makes a big difference in making the Z's power more linear and smooth especially in the lower rpm. I've just been noticing that my Z likes to bite a little bit in first gear when the throttle engages. I had a similar issue with the ZRX (although highly exaggerated in comparison) but that was because it was not properly tuned.

Regardless if a power commander will help I'll be needing to pick one up sooner or later because I'd like to own a K&N air filter in the future. Just wondering if anyone who has a power commander can confirm a difference in power delivery at low rpms?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wish mine bit right off the bottom. Mines downright sluggish. It's a little better with the new exhaust and I just picked up a pc3 so maybe I can tune the hit into the low end.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's probably worth mentioning that I have an '08, so they are a bit smoother on the bottom, but flatter up top. I still think the PC III with a custom tune will do wonders.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Plain and simple. Yes it will help!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it would but wasn't sure if it was a big difference or not. Good to know.

Wish mine bit right off the bottom. Mines downright sluggish. It's a little better with the new exhaust and I just picked up a pc3 so maybe I can tune the hit into the low end.
It's nice if you have a switch to turn it off and on as you ride. I don't drive a car so I'm always in stop and go traffic with the 'bitey' bike.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I love mine, it takes the hesitation that was between 3-4k; and it smoothes it out some.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I had my 08 custom tuned on a dyno. Guys did an amazing job. Mine is super smooth throughout the entire RPM range. No hesitation anywhere, only vibes I get are close to redline, and they are very slight...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
a power commander without a proper tune isn't gonna do much for you unfortentely. Yes you'll notice a change, but your flat spot may just move up or down the rpm range.

yes you can try multiple maps, yes you might feel a change but will it be perfect.. no.

So if your ready to fork out $300 for a smother ride on a PC3, be sure to allow another $300 for the tune.

(even if the tune comes further down the line)

my 2 bobs worth..

·
Registered
862 Posts
Same here. I look to change that as well. When I'm low it seems like the damn bikes carbureted!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Btw, does anyone have insight on how the PCV compares to the PCIII?

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
ps. if you think you bike is running that crap, then a service, injector cleaner and some new spark plugs will do a lot more than a PC3 will...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ps. if you think you bike is running that crap, then a service, injector cleaner and some new spark plugs will do a lot more than a PC3 will...
It just feels like the bike doesn't want to run smoothly below approx 3000 rpm. I have to feather the clutch to ride it smoothly otherwise it will lurch. It's not that bad, it's just a slight juggling act during bad stop and go traffic. I'm just a perfectionist and wanted an easy cheap fix. I wouldn't mind changing the plugs and whatnot but only if it will solve the issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
+1 on servicing. and valve adjustment depending on mileage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.