RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks.....

New to the forum, but the wires under my 02 tank are right at the key switch connector and are a black/yellow wire and a white/blue wire with double bullet plugs on them.
Thnx 02 Streaker,

I haven't been on the forums a looooonnnnnnnggggg time, but trying to get back in the swing of things...!
Anyway, so all I have to do is take the silver thing off (with the ignition switch...) and they should be there? DO you happen to know which wire is plus and which is minus/ground?

So, what color is your '02? Do you have any pics up yet?

Later and thnx again. Eric

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thnx 02 Streaker,

I haven't been on the forums a looooonnnnnnnggggg time, but trying to get back in the swing of things...!
Anyway, so all I have to do is take the silver thing off (with the ignition switch...) and they should be there? DO you happen to know which wire is plus and which is minus/ground?

So, what color is your '02? Do you have any pics up yet?

Later and thnx again. Eric
No, you must remove the tank. The wires are under it running along the left upper frame.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GPS mounted on MeanStreak

I recently mounted a gps on the mean streak and it fit really well. I used the RAM mount and bought a power extension cable from Napa. This I cut off the female end and wired it to the extra two connections (used a volt meter to check them) that are under the seat. These are hot all the time so you need to be sure to turn off the gps. Then I used the standard power cable fro the Garmin and routed the wire under the gas tank with a wire fish without removing the tank. No problems. And the GPS is right where I want it, not up in the wind and not blocking any instruments. 2006 Mean Streak.
If I figure out how to include pictures I will.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Garmin 255W and I have an extra car charger. Does anyone know if I could cut the end off and use it to hardwire it to the bike?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
You'll need an inline fuse and also ensure that its waterproof which I doubt it is. It would be better to get a waterproof cigarette lighter, hardwire that to the bike, and then only plug in the gps charger when its fair weather.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I see cig lighters, but has anyone been able to find a usb port to wire up. I am looking because pretty much all of my electronics can be powered by usb and I hate the bulk-y-ness of the 12v cig lighters.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I see cig lighters, but has anyone been able to find a usb port to wire up. I am looking because pretty much all of my electronics can be powered by usb and I hate the bulk-y-ness of the 12v cig lighters.
You would need a DC converter. A direct connection would blow out any device hooked to the USB.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just installed one of these on my Meanie.
Kuryakin Power point
I installed it on the triple tree down towards the gauges. It looks pretty good and and out of the way. The awesome part is that it plugs into the pig-tail for my battery tender. So as soon as I unplug the tender, I just plug the outlet into pig tail. installation was just over 30 minutes including running under the tank (actually under one the leeft side, gotta love zip ties!)
I'll post some pics later on today when I get home.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
...i messed up

i had mounted my cig lighter adapter right before the left side cover and had been using it to charge my phone with no problems. i took a long trip this past weekend and i forgot it was there. i unplugged the charger at a gas stop and never plugged it back in. 120 miles later the cord is wrapped around my shaftdrive, license plate mount, and rear wheel... luckily, the wire tore to pieces instead of tearing everything else apart.

took the rear wheel off and no damage, luckily the wires didnt get into the axle or anything. just had to buy a new phone charger.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
it may have... i havent tried a new charger yet but its fused and i have spares so it shouldnt be an issue

·
Registered
77 Posts
New guy here. I have an 02 MS and just mounted a twin power outlet on mine. Only I mounted mine to the windshield on the cross bar/brace of the windshield at gauge height. Then I soldered on a 2 wire pigtail that I can unplug to remove the windshield. I am running LED's so with the lightened power load I tied my power in from the running light circuit and hide the pigtail just inside the headlight housing. I figured it's for GPS & cellphone charging here and if I am using my GPS it mounts on the windshield. So why not just keep the outlet on the windshield. Simple, clean, & easy to get at.
I will see about pic's soon.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, it's secure enough. I had it mounted lower but moved it up for ease of use. Works like a charm & issue free.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You'll need an inline fuse and also ensure that its waterproof which I doubt it is. It would be better to get a waterproof cigarette lighter, hardwire that to the bike, and then only plug in the gps charger when its fair weather.
I am also looking to mount a gps but i saw in one of ur earlier posts streak that u said u hardwired your gps to the connections under the tank, isnt that what steel and ink is wanting to do also

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I mounted my power outlet under the tree, and used the handle bar nut to hold the bracket. I have an iPhone mount that I center on the bars for GPS, and I wrap the power cord up one of the risers. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363948947.664749.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363948957.869948.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363948984.620040.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363949007.782433.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363949029.923179.jpg

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I soldered the wire connections, shrink wrapped the wires all the way back to the battery area, installed an inline fuse, and direct wired to the battery. I am considering doing an auxiliary fuse block in the future as I continue to add accessories.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts