RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added a power adapter to your MS? If so, where did you mount the adapter and where did you run the power to/from?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
There's two accessory connections already but they can't take a large load. One is right near the battery where I connected the pc3. The other is underneath the tank on the left hand side. I used it for hard wiring my gps. If you need a big amp type of thing like heated clothing then do it to the battery.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's just it, I already have two inline wiring connected to the battery and it's getting crowded and tough to put the bolt back in. I thought we had an accessory plug in the headlight casing but not sure. I plan to use the power for my GPS and/or IPOD and speakers.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,994 Posts
You can always splice your wires into the same hot wire and run just that one down to the battery....just be careful not to turn all the stuff on at the same time and make sure you have an in-line fuse.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
The one in the headlight isn't true. It's on the gadget site but thats for the nomad or whatever his bike is. The one under the tank is our second one. I tore my headlight apart looking for it after going on his site before realizing it was under the tank. I'd recommend a secondary fuse panel if you're tech crazy and have a bunch of gadgets. It'll clean up your battery with one wire and then you can put separate fuses on each item.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I put one here. Direct fused line to the battery (real close). I have a short charger cord for my phone so I wanted something close to my waist. It's live all the time so I don't need to turn the bike on to use it. Excuse the dirty machine.

·
Registered
213 Posts
+ 1 on the aux fuse panel. I got the centech one, hokked it to the battery, now have stebel air horn, driving lights, dual headlight, and 12V power plug all running off the aux panel. made for a real neat install, and with this, I do not require an in-line fuse for the accessories. The panel has it's own in-line for the battery connect.
good luck

·
Registered
254 Posts
+ 1 on the aux fuse panel. I got the centech one, hokked it to the battery, now have stebel air horn, driving lights, dual headlight, and 12V power plug all running off the aux panel. made for a real neat install, and with this, I do not require an in-line fuse for the accessories. The panel has it's own in-line for the battery connect.
good luck
Okay gr8fulferari, do you have any pics (or can you take some..... :)) on where and how you installed the additional fuse panel? And how easy/hard is it to install one of those and hook up accessories to it?
I have ordered a Stebel horn as well and I have an external lighter/accessory plug lying around waiting to be installed but I am not very familiar with electronics installations. And I don't want to ruin my electrical system on the bike by hooking something up the wrong way....

Thx in advance, Erdejo

·
Registered
213 Posts
The hook up is way easy. I got a complete kit from www.easternbeaver.com. Hook up to + and - on battery and to panel. The unit fits right under the seat. Then just run your accessory to the fuse panel. I am not electrically inclined, so I usually buy pre-made hook-ups (again from easternbeaver). They have an a horn kit, connect to fuse panel and then plug into existing connectors and to horn. Piece of cake. I also used thier aux light hook-up to add driving lights. I am sure a person with time / knowledge could make their own set-up, but it worked just fine for me.
I'll try to get you a pic. have to remove the seat. They have some pics at the site that sells the fuse panels.
good luck

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hook up is way easy. I got a complete kit from www.easternbeaver.com. Hook up to + and - on battery and to panel. The unit fits right under the seat. Then just run your accessory to the fuse panel. I am not electrically inclined, so I usually buy pre-made hook-ups (again from easternbeaver). They have an a horn kit, connect to fuse panel and then plug into existing connectors and to horn. Piece of cake. I also used thier aux light hook-up to add driving lights. I am sure a person with time / knowledge could make their own set-up, but it worked just fine for me.
I'll try to get you a pic. have to remove the seat. They have some pics at the site that sells the fuse panels.
good luck

gr8, did you hook the centech to the ignition or is it always hot?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Pics.......?

good luck
Hey Gr8,

Did you happen to have chance to take some pics of the fuse box hookup?

Thx, Eric

·
Registered
254 Posts
Uuuuhhmmmm.......????

Install it on the right side plastic tool box and direct connect to the battery with 10 amp online fuse.
Hey Froggy,

I like that idea but I see one problem.... How do you use it during riding (for phone or GPS for instance)? Because once you put the side cover back on it is not accessible, right? Or did you drill a hole through the side cover there.....?

Help me out here and solve the riddle......... :hah:

Eric

P.S. What is the box in there above the lighter....? The one with the white text on it and the strap around it.......

·
Registered
254 Posts
Where is it...?

There's two accessory connections already but they can't take a large load. One is right near the battery where I connected the pc3. The other is underneath the tank on the left hand side. I used it for hard wiring my gps. If you need a big amp type of thing like heated clothing then do it to the battery.
Hey Streak07,

I want to install a 12V accessory plug in the front (to my handle bars most likely to power my GPS) so I want to use the plug underneath the tank if possible. Can you tell me where exactly it/they is/are located? Is it one plug (+) or two (+ and -)? What do they look like? I have the Kawa shop manual... Can I find it in there to help me out with pics or schematics?
Do I have to remove the entire tank for this or is it pretty easily accessible...?

Thnx in advance for any support you can provide.

Eric.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Well its been a while but it was on the left hand side along the frame, midway underneath the tank. It comes out of the main harness going to the front of the bike so its attached to the main zip tied portion going along the frame. Pretty sure it was dangling loose though, had 2-3 inches to it. There was the + and - there although i can't remember what the connector was. Either the round female or 1/4" female. I'd say run the bike til the tank is almost dry and then remove it, it'll make your life a ton easier. You COULD try and just tilt it up but then you'd be mashing your hand/arm and making things that much harder to find. The wires are also a bit closer to the front so its exactly where the fuel pump lines would get in the way and hinder your ability to lift the tank enough to make it easy for you.

Also realize its a 10amp line connected to a number of other things that you're tying into. Wouldn't do anything bigger than the GPS or maybe a phone charger like you have planned.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hmmmmmm.....

Well its been a while but it was on the left hand side along the frame, midway underneath the tank. It comes out of the main harness going to the front of the bike so its attached to the main zip tied portion going along the frame. Pretty sure it was dangling loose though, had 2-3 inches to it. There was the + and - there although i can't remember what the connector was. Either the round female or 1/4" female. I'd say run the bike til the tank is almost dry and then remove it, it'll make your life a ton easier. You COULD try and just tilt it up but then you'd be mashing your hand/arm and making things that much harder to find. The wires are also a bit closer to the front so its exactly where the fuel pump lines would get in the way and hinder your ability to lift the tank enough to make it easy for you.

Also realize its a 10amp line connected to a number of other things that you're tying into. Wouldn't do anything bigger than the GPS or maybe a phone charger like you have planned.
Thnx Streak,

That sounds like a PITA..... I kinda don't know whether I want to to get that involved in it..... :( Is it a lot of disconnectiing and removing of "stuff"?
Then again.... if I want to run its own separate wire to the battery with an inline fuse I most likely end up going under or near the gas tank anyway... Any idea what fuse would be necessary or advisable? I think the the most I will use it for is the GPS or the phone charger (or maybe even both using a lighter splitter) but you never know....

Anyway, thnx again for your input. I have to think about this one a little bit.

Later, Eric

·
Registered
24 Posts
You're right Erdejo, my installation was not for cell phone or GPS purpose, I install it first for my air compressor.

P,S; The box with the white text is my power commander...

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Thnx Streak,

That sounds like a PITA..... I kinda don't know whether I want to to get that involved in it..... :( Is it a lot of disconnectiing and removing of "stuff"?
Then again.... if I want to run its own separate wire to the battery with an inline fuse I most likely end up going under or near the gas tank anyway... Any idea what fuse would be necessary or advisable? I think the the most I will use it for is the GPS or the phone charger (or maybe even both using a lighter splitter) but you never know....
Taking the tank off isn't overly involved as long as you run it mostly empty. I wrap a towel around my bars just in case to prevent any nicks if it gets away from me. Also have a towel on the ground ready to set the tank on. Considering how handy it is to take off for maintenance and working on the bike I'd give it a go if you plan on owning the bike for any length of time.

You don't truly need another fuse as there's a 10amp already there. Check the instructions for whatever you're installing though, if it needs something a lot smaller then go ahead but I imagine it'd be unlikely. I've run my tomtom without issue with no additional fuse. If I were you and running a splitter and multiple accessories I'd wire it to the battery and then put a 10 amp fuse on it. Less chance of blowing a fuse as its a dedicated power line for those accessories, not shared with other items on the bike. Also make sure the cigarette plug is an all weather unit or you'll have a bad day the first time you're caught in a decent rain.

·
Registered
55 Posts
New to the forum, but the wires under my 02 tank are right at the key switch connector and are a black/yellow wire and a white/blue wire with double bullet plugs on them.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts